The Process Of Bariatric Surgery On The Nhs

JainT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Idiots, time wasters
Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated.
Will certainly use the forum to follow the evidence rather than blindly follow the dietician's advice .... I'll be choosing which hoops I am prepared to jump through!
I have tried low carbing both maintenance and vlcd with weight loss but not for any length of time
Maybe the next 12 to 24 months is my time to consistently eat low carb and see where I end up
Hi,
I'm very interested in following your journey. Similar situation here x

Reactions: Jemz

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you get best advice and make informed decision.
One caveat I have re bariatric surgery is that the NHS won’t supply free excess skin removal, come the day. Maybe a slower weight loss might result in less “baggy bits”. I hope so...

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I'm very interested in following your journey. Similar situation here x
Hello there

Progress ....
My weight loss is ridiculously slow. 3 lbs in 10 weeks. At least I am not gaining or doing a crazy fad diet & tons of exercise that I can't sustain .... all past mistakes.

I've met with a dietician 3 times, been to the required 2 sessions of information about surgery, have a goal of 11 lbs weight loss, have to attend monthly dietician sessions for 12 months before I can be considered for the next stage.

Next stage would be psychology assessment and meet surgeon if all is well.

It's a long process and am trying my best to low carb and reduce my blood sugar & my weight. Dietician can't get past low fat complex carbs at every meal.

Be really interested to learn how you are getting on. I know that funding and processes are very different in every area.
And good luck x

Reactions: Blackeddt2

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you get best advice and make informed decision.
One caveat I have re bariatric surgery is that the NHS won’t supply free excess skin removal, come the day. Maybe a slower weight loss might result in less “baggy bits”. I hope so...
At rate I am going I will approach my healthy weight sometime close to getting a telegraph off the queen
But yes there are lots of considerations. It is not an easy decision. I am still trying to do it by diet alone whilst on the process. I have up to 2 years to do that. So maybe I'll manage it without the operation?!?

JainT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Idiots, time wasters
Hello there

Progress ....
My weight loss is ridiculously slow. 3 lbs in 10 weeks. At least I am not gaining or doing a crazy fad diet & tons of exercise that I can't sustain .... all past mistakes.

I've met with a dietician 3 times, been to the required 2 sessions of information about surgery, have a goal of 11 lbs weight loss, have to attend monthly dietician sessions for 12 months before I can be considered for the next stage.

Next stage would be psychology assessment and meet surgeon if all is well.

It's a long process and am trying my best to low carb and reduce my blood sugar & my weight. Dietician can't get past low fat complex carbs at every meal.

Be really interested to learn how you are getting on. I know that funding and processes are very different in every area.
And good luck x
Was previously considered for bariatric surgery when living in manchester, but then became pregnant with first child (12years ago). 'Fell off' list due to pregnancy and in mean time moved several times, now in North Wales. Welsh NHS are stricter with surgery and you have to have a higher bmi to qualify, even though i have! Tried every diet going including gp referals to dietician and gym etc. Due to other health problems exercise is difficult and also I have hyperthyroidism which never seems to be stable. Now recently diagnosed with diabetes, I'm going to try the bariatric route again. Been overweight all my life, come from a family of 'large' people.

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I was overweight when I was 15 - what an idiot !
10 years of starving & stuffing myself meant I bounced between tiny and small. By 30 I didn't have energy to continue doing that.
I have now been morbidly obese for 10 years.
It's a process that you have to do in your own way.
Before I approached NHS I looked in to private because I thought I wouldn't qualify. But apparently I am that fat

Reactions: JainT