What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Hope all those, who have been feeling a bit off lately, are doing better.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with tartar and mayonnaise and small bowl of oxtail-soup with coconut milk, red curry paste, mushrooms, bellpepper and pumpkin.

Snack: About 30g of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: A whole DD keto roll (freshly baked, but left in the oven too long, thus a bit too crunchy) with tartar and mayonnaise. Lamb's lettuce with lime-mustard dressing and feta cheese. A small piece of low-carb cheese cake and a glass of red wine.

Have a great weekend all.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, the weekend is here!

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast with butter
Lunch - Two rollitos whilst making a lo-dough wrap with mustard ham and tomatoes. Strawberries and extra thick cream which was a step too far for me in the cream stakes. Much too rich.
Mid afternoon - One square of Mosser Roth 85% chocolate
Dinner - Garlic chicken crown with celeriac dauphinoise from the booklet @shelley262 sent me and peas.

The dauphinoise was lovely, and am now going to try other recipes with celeriac after my first disasterous attempt with mash. I don't even like mash made with potato so no idea why I tried this :banghead:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, feeling much better now, thank you to everyone who has sent me get well wishes.
Coffee with cream first thing
Breakfast was ham and cheese
Lunch was ham and cheese, due to delivering training I didn’t have time or energy to think beyond taking anything else with me today
Drive home I scoffed a small pack of pork scratchings
Almond milk cappuccino and a PhD bar
Dinner was bacon and egg muffins with tomato, spring onion and cheese, halo top ice cream, glass of wine

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Went and picked up my lap results for the last three years today. Really interesting, seems all my liver results have been normal for the last three years. Just goes to show that liver fat really clears quickly and function returns to normal on a low carb diet.

Great news re your lab results, it’s lovely to know you’re in the normal range and have vindication that low carb is actually the healthy option.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, that all turned around quickly. Spent most of the day muttering this too shall pass and half convincing myself TINA was the only gal for me. Late lunch came back as a reasonable 5 and evening meal so much better than it had any right to be. The quality of the smoked salmon was very special. Hope everyone had equally enjoyable whole or part days.

Wakey Wakey: Skinny bulletproof coffee (Liberte 0% and inulin, filter coffee smashed in nutribullet) Tea
Breakfast : Tea
2.00 -2.30 Taster Waitrose caramel and crunchy base chocky (very small- I have bigger toenails- but amazing) and a Latte
Very late Lunch : Tea; 2 big flat mushrooms; 4 rashers streaky bacon (so thin); 2 large fried eggs; by 3.20 I had lost the desire for nutritious and just wanted comfort; failed big time on both fronts
Lat Afternoon: walk and Pepsi Max
Evening meal: Smoked salmon fillet from Cley smokehouse flaked into broccoli rice, yellow pepper and portabello mushroom; couple spoons h/m veg stock (new superfood) ; stewed rhubarb and flaxseed+inulin with extra thick jersey double cream.
@maglil55 Huge sympathy. Mrs P went through similar with her sister not an easy time

Is that the veggie stock I use, Ian?

Kingmidas

Breakfast - overnight coconut oats (50/50 oats and desiccated coconut + chia seeds) strawberries and some crushed pecans, tea

Lunch - lo dough pastrami salad sandwich, SF jelly

Snack - my usual pecans and jalapeño cheese

Coffee with double cream

Dinner - Nandos quinoa salad with chicken thighs and grilled halloumi

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight's planned meal was shelved as my OH wasn't feeling to great. The poor man has had man flu, which I think has now gone to post-viral syndrome and he'd also got a but of tummy ache. When asked what he'd actually like to eat, the only thing he wanted was Heinz Cream of Tomato soup.

As I couldn't be sure the "Modified Cornflour" the was gluten free, I elected not to join him in that, but I did fancy soup, so made a very simple butternut squash soup in the cauldron. Chicken stock (IP, reduced, then frozen), a dollop of home made veggie stock, for it's magic seasoning qualities, and about a teaspoonful of home made garlic and chilli sauce, and lots of buttenut squash. Sour cream added once cooked, then left in the cauldron on "Keep Warm" setting.

Absolutely delicious, although the garlic and chilli sauce has become an ingredient, due to using rather hotter chillies than the recipe apparently required, but so be it. I quite enjoyed the kick.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and this image was on a greeting card in John Lewis today. Why did I think of @ianpspurs ?

Attachments

• Waitrose.jpg
    Waitrose.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news re your lab results, it’s lovely to know you’re in the normal range and have vindication that low carb is actually the healthy option.

Thanks, @DJC3. Interesting what we can learn if we access to the lab results. Now, if we could only convince the sceptics, including my GP, that low carb seems to be the way to go for diabetics.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: ham, cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: SF squash and raspberry Phd bar.
Dinner: cold roast chicken, cauliflower and broccoli salad, pork scratchings and coleslaw followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Switching back to normality it seems with bed on a 5.5 FBG 5.8. Spent 30 mins this morning after the school drop off in the hell which is the school lost property. No 1 is missing a pair of trousers, black sleeveless V neck and a red V neck jumper. Found the red one but no sign of the other two despite everything being labelled. The trousers were switched at PE so someone else has his. There's some weird things in lost property - how the heck did they manage to lose their socks? Their shoes? Even weirder underpants!! Quick visit to Tesco, coffee and before I knew it time to get the boys from school.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Slice of roast pork
D. It's a diet doctor recipe but it seems to have gone. I've made it so often I know it anyway. Salmon fillet pop on an oven tray. Mix up mayonnaise, chilli paste and parmesan and coat the fillets. Pop in a hot oven for about 20 mins. Easy, tasty and good hot or cold.
Another coffee and a grenade carb killa bar later.

Got No 1 to swimming today so had a couple of hours in the pool as well.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D. It's a diet doctor recipe but it seems to have gone. I've made it so often I know it anyway. Salmon fillet pop on an oven tray. Mix up mayonnaise, chilli paste and parmesan and coat the fillets. Pop in a hot oven for about 20 mins. Easy, tasty and good hot or cold.

Thanks for that. Looking for some simple ways to add a little something to salmon.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late supper cum very early breakfast: chunk of Gouda and a very tiny windfall apple; cocoa with cream; lots of water all night...

No lunch

Dinner: remaining small portion of pork and mushroom stroganoff. Soggy strawberries :meh: with clotted cream. cinnamon tea. And to console myself: rather too much Niederegger dark chocolate marzipan, recently re-discovered after being fed this as Easter treats when I was a child getting on for 70 years ago, and which I think will be my eventual downfall.

(I'm not testing at the moment as I'm having to pay out some rather large Vet bills, and can't also afford more test strips, so a good excuse for a little sinful eating maybe.)

Thanks for that. Looking for some simple ways to add a little something to salmon.
I quite like the sound of that too! I've also used a green pesto, pine nut and parmesan topping on other fish and chicken, but not on my salmon yet.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and this image was on a greeting card in John Lewis today. Why did I think of @ianpspurs ?
Love the card. Met my aunt there today - she staggered even me by saying she goes nearly every day. You do get a better class of eccentric there though:angelic: Proximity to a branch does increase house prices and is advertised in blurb for some of Cambridge's newer, definitely not for the JAMs, areas.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oui, c'est sa

As I have said before I can be pretty rubbish with seasoning as I go along, and it's never quite the same if added at the end, and I find a dollop of that stock puts in a decent base layer of seasoning. For a quick soup, such as I did last night, it's fabulous. I think the Garlic and Chilli sauce may become the same for things needing a heat kick.

Oh, and I save all the ends of Parmesan, Pecorino or Grand Pedano to lob into the Veggie Stock.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posting early today as it is the husbands Birthday so much going out and about!

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Bacon, sausage, egg, tomatoes, mushrooms and one bite of husbands white bloomer toast (in local cafe)
Tea - Probably tuna and salad. Slice of homemade l/c ginger loaf - doubling as husbands birthday cake!

Off to see Miss Saigon tonight. Very, very much looking forward to this so probably a drink in the interval.

Happy Saturday everyone

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've gone from low carb high fat 2 Dr John McDougall high carb low fat.
The reason I change from low carb high fat is my triglycerides wouldn't come down and I basically was just getting fed up with fat fat and more fat.
So I swatted up on high carb low fat and decided I try and give it a go I had diabetes 2 for quite a while and was on metformin which didn't work and in fact I felt quite bad on it so decided to try and resolve it with diet.
Unfortunately by that time I was starting to get a little bit of peripheral neuropathy on the left shin I did manage to ameliorate it with some B12 medication on a daily basis.
So started high carb low-fat couple of days ago so it's still early Doors disturbing to see blood sugar go very high on the first day yet somewhat surprised to see it lower in the morning on the second day then it usually is I tend to suffer from the dawn phenomena.
My fat I have kept to an absolute minimum and scrutinize every label.
So breakfast consisted of wholemeal toast with a banana spread on top and was that yummy. Strangely that lasted my appetite all the way through till lunchtime when I had a very large salad some quinoa and a bit of veg.

For the first time in months I felt full and happy and I was amazed to see at 8 at night my blood sugar was no worse than it had been on low carb.
So this all seems a little bizarre.
What I do need to do a course is wait for my blood fat to drop and the intracellular fat to come away I don't know how they're long that will take.

Anybody else have any experience on this?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Posting early today as it is the husbands Birthday so much going out and about!

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Bacon, sausage, egg, tomatoes, mushrooms and one bite of husbands white bloomer toast (in local cafe)
Tea - Probably tuna and salad. Slice of homemade l/c ginger loaf - doubling as husbands birthday cake!

Off to see Miss Saigon tonight. Very, very much looking forward to this so probably a drink in the interval.

Happy Saturday everyone
Happy birthday Mr @Tori71 - ginger loaf? how naughty have you been, sir?:angelic:

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've gone from low carb high fat 2 Dr John McDougall high carb low fat.
The reason I change from low carb high fat is my triglycerides wouldn't come down and I basically was just getting fed up with fat fat and more fat.
So I swatted up on high carb low fat and decided I try and give it a go I had diabetes 2 for quite a while and was on metformin which didn't work and in fact I felt quite bad on it so decided to try and resolve it with diet.
Unfortunately by that time I was starting to get a little bit of peripheral neuropathy on the left shin I did manage to ameliorate it with some B12 medication on a daily basis.
So started high carb low-fat couple of days ago so it's still early Doors disturbing to see blood sugar go very high on the first day yet somewhat surprised to see it lower in the morning on the second day then it usually is I tend to suffer from the dawn phenomena.
My fat I have kept to an absolute minimum and scrutinize every label.
So breakfast consisted of wholemeal toast with a banana spread on top and was that yummy. Strangely that lasted my appetite all the way through till lunchtime when I had a very large salad some quinoa and a bit of veg.

For the first time in months I felt full and happy and I was amazed to see at 8 at night my blood sugar was no worse than it had been on low carb.
So this all seems a little bizarre.
What I do need to do a course is wait for my blood fat to drop and the intracellular fat to come away I don't know how they're long that will take.

Anybody else have any experience on this?
Very interesting post @Fuggs. As you say, it will take a longer period of time to see patterns properly. Please keep posting as I for one will be very interested in how things go.