Hunger

chrissieworne

Hi again......................please can anyone suggest low GI snacks that will fil me up?, since starting on Gliclizide I appear to be tolerating it but am still higher than I would like at times but then have very rapid lows as far as 4 from time to time but I am soooo hungry all the time. If I eat a lot of carby stuff I get v.high spikes.

I am overweight so am keen not to put any more on. I am finding I am good all day but can't stop picking in the evenings.

Thanks Chrissie

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I would suggest having some nuts. They contain almost no carbs and are very filling so you won't eat too many. They do however contain calories! Nothing's perfect. :shock: Just leave out the peanuts and the cashews as they do have carbs. :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Cheese, cold meat, chunks of tomato, cucumber, peppers, radishes, hard-boiled eggs . . . cut it all int bite-sized pieces, put it in a bowl and use a bit of mayonnaise as a dip. Or have a small apple with your cheese.

Also nuts, as Daisy says. My problem with nuts is that I can eat them until I'm nearly sick, so I avoid them. I will have a couple of plain oatcakes at about 5g carb each for that crunchy mouth-feel.

Protein and fat will satisfy you sooner than carbohydrate. You don't have to eat vast amounts of fat if you don't want to, but don't avoid it either!

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
chrissieworne said:
Hi again......................please can anyone suggest low GI snacks that will fil me up?, since starting on Gliclizide I appear to be tolerating it but am still higher than I would like at times but then have very rapid lows as far as 4 from time to time but I am soooo hungry all the time. If I eat a lot of carby stuff I get v.high spikes.

This is a link to a thread containing low carb snacks which I have just posted to someone else who has a similar problem:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17548&p=159147&hilit=snacks#p159147

As I said on the other thread, have a look using the search engine as this is a problem that so many of us have :shock:

C

catherinecherub

Hi Chrissie,

You asked for low GI snacks. Does this mean that you are following the low GI diet to the letter and using a restricted amount of fats?

I f this is the case I would suggest that you acquire a copy of Rick Gallop's books, The GI Diet and Living the GI Diet. This will explain things in greater detail and will stop you feeling hungry.

He was a Cardiologist in Ontario and was the President of the Heart and Stroke Association for 15 years, a sister organisation to the British Heart Foundation. He explains the diet very well before providing a list of all acceptable and non acceptable foods, explains portion control, exercise , dry goods needed in your larder, i.e. herbs, spices etc and snacks and overall explains it very well.

The list of foods is extensive and does not limit your choices of satisfying foods. Other members of the family who are not diabetic can use it as well, upping their portion size if they have no health or weight issues.

As with all diabetics, this does not negate the need to test your blood sugars as we all vary as to what we can and cannot eat.

Hope this will be of some use to you.

chrissieworne

Hi all, thanks very much for your advice, you know I hadn't thought about some of these options. No, I am not following a GI diet as such it's just that I am aware low GI was initially for Diabetics? I have got the latest Rosemary Conley book, wondered if I should try that. :!:

Have to lose about 4 stones really but nothing seems to work well, tried Slimming World which went well for me yrs ago but I can't have all those carbs on a green day and don't like meat enough to eat tons of that for a red day. :roll:

I eat fairly low fat but my GP has offered me Xenical......if you don't eat much fat is that any good?

I keep asking if I could be considered for a Gastric Band but my GP just laughs and says I am not big enough...however, I looked at the NICE guidelines and my BMI is 40 which combined with the Diabetes should have made me eligible. :evil:

I am so fed up with all this weight! I have recurring Sciatica so whenever I really try to do any exercise ther than walk I suffer terribly so I can't launch myelf into a lairy regime.

Chris. xx

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
chrissieworne said:
I eat fairly low fat but my GP has offered me Xenical......if you don't eat much fat is that any good?

I tried Xenical - just for a week - then I stopped it as the side effects are just too unpleasant. I had a prescription for it but had to pay for it myself. Wasted my money. And I have never eaten much fat either. I really don't recommend it :shock:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Crissie,

Try a small handful of seeds for a superb healthy snack that's low in carbs, seeds are high in fibre, nutrients including zinc and iron and contain monounsaturated fats (good heart friendly fats) which will be a healthy choice all round. My favourite are pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds! :)

Nigel

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Chrissie

Go on to the Low-carb Diet Forum and pick up the Sticky Thread called 'Viv's Diet'. It's towards the top of the index.

This diet works for me and for lots of other people, and this is a very good time of year to start it becasue of all the lovely fresh veg etc just coming in to the shops.

The first time I tried it (I weighed very nearly 20 stone :shock: ) I lost 15lb in the first two weeks, and 50lb in the first 6 months. If you have less to lose it might not go so quickly.

it's worth a try - you will never be hungry, and you can eat as much as you like of the allowed foods, except where it gives definite limits. If you're feeding a family it's good for them too - you just give them bread, potatoes, pasta etc, and give yourself extra veg.

Give it a try - and PM me for further info if you like. I've lost 40lb in the last year, without being as strict as I should have been. :D

Viv 8)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I bought a book called the diabetes revolution, and I love it. Got to say that it does low carbs for those wanting to shift weight, and a maintenenance list of recipes as well.

My dear hubby put on almost a stone (!!!) in two weeks (!!!!) by going to his sisters and having loads of curries and bacon baguettes, and by a week of entertaining people in his workplace and having free sandwiches,crisps etc.......

Since being back to normal and eating recipes from this book, he has lost 6lb in 7 days. He was 15 stone when he come home from sisters, which isn't immensely obese, but obese enough!!!!!

Hubby eats about 100g of carbs a day normally. By his having the extra carbs, boy he piled it on, and he does now believe me that less carbs are better for him, although he is still eating good meals.....e.g. last night we had

home cooked chinese chicken-39g CHO
Nuts - (none carb ones-ish-not worth counting to be quite honest).
His plate was absolutely full...

We often eat fish or meat with sugar snaps, asparagus and leeks interchanging with carrrots and other veg, and again so low in carbs but never a thing left on the plate.. we then have an apple, an orange, a kiwi cut between the two of us with Onken no fat strawberry yogurt for afters (lowest Onken Yogurt for CHO, and is deliciious).....and then nuts (staple part of our diet). Neither one of us have any hunger pangs ever. When trying to lose weight we avoid all potatoes and bread, except for a weekend when we have poached eggs on toast at lunchtime one day. Now we are just going back to our salads (when adding up these CHO-they are actually higher that the veg!!), but reasonable and with us, all the food is always cooked and steamed within 30 minutes-and no more dirty ovens from roast potatoes!!!!!

The basis of the diabetes revolution diet, is that you are full up enough so that you don't snack between meals.

I also believe personally for myself, that snacking is only done when I am bored.....or winter when I get fed up with the weather....I think you also need to attack the idea, whether you are really hungry or whether you eat snacks as a 'comfort filler'.

My lunches always consist of 3 ryvita with various toppings such as low fat garlic cream cheese with cucumber, or just cucumber, or plain ryvita-always thoughthe more expensive ones!!!!

There is so much to eat nowadays, it is just making the right choices for you....and for your tastes...I would be looking at the reasons why you snack in the evenings though in addition to choices of food, as I think, and this is only from my own experience that eating in the evenings, is not necessarily down to actually feeling hungry....

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
chrissieworne said:

I am overweight so am keen not to put any more on. I am finding I am good all day but can't stop picking in the evenings.

Chrissie - Carbs, in addition to giving you spikes, make you hungry so you need to snack. If you try low carbing you'll find your hunger just melts away... And you'll lose some weight and stabilise your levels as an added bonus.

Give it a try :)

Viv's diet is a good place to start :)

chrissieworne

Thanks all, and Viv, Daisy, I will defo look at yr diet Viv. I weigh 15 stone but am only 5 feet 2 tall so am like a little ball!!! :lol: and all my GP does is nag :roll: . I am quite lonely :( and I think evenings are my worst time. I will try a bit harder....my self esteem is at an all time low and I hate the way I look.

Viv, I will pm you soon.

Thanks for all yr support folks.

Chris. xx

jaykay

Hey Chris, any good at being creative? I know quite a few people who wanting to lose weight, take up things like knitting, sewing, embroidery. It keeps their hands busy and their minds occupied. :D Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I agree with you there, Jaykay. Anything to keep your hands busy. I used knitting when I gave up smoking, and it really worked.

Smoke-free anniversary - 11 years this coming October! Just think of all the money I've saved (I wonder what I did with it? :lol: )

Viv 8)

jaykay

:lol: Viv, ooooh I know THAT feeling. My husband and I gave up 22 years ago and for the first 6 months we put all the money we saved in a bottle to use for treats. After that....well , I think the dog ate it! ( along with my children's homework, their odd socks, school report cards etc etc :D )

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
for self esteem set your self some little achievable goals! I set some last year including one I thought I'd never do but it gets you doing things and since you set the goals they're things you want to do and can feel the joy of achieving them. i realised I waste a lot of tie watching cr*p tv so decided a target of getting out once a month to places I have never been to for at least an hours walk. I also set a target of readig books ( I never read much) as well as more adventurous things I can't mention here!