T 2 On Insulin - Somogyi Effect

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasting bg this morning (lab test) was 6.25 one hour after usual mixed insulin dose, no breakfast and walked a bit to the lab.
I usually test 2 hours after the main meal of the day because dinner is within my powers, the rest of the day depends on liver and cellular metabolism.
Being on insulin and sometimes experiencing hypo during the night, I suppose fasting 6.25 in the morning was caused by Somogyi effect.
Everything else is normal:
HbA1c today 4.3 % (24 mmol/mol).
Average glucose 4.3.
What`s your experience with Somogyi effect, if any ?
How long does it last (checked bg at noon it was even higher 7.3) ?

As I said, I usually test 2 hours after dinner.

Thank you.

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ivan 2, A BSL of 6.25 mmol/l fasting is not that high.
Being on insulin as a T1D, a high BSL in the morning after a hypo at night could be 8 to 16 + mmol/l depending on how severe the hypo was and how much I ate to combat it.
Also a higher than usual BSL first thing in the morning could be due to Dawn phenomenon.
Of course hypos can occur at anytime and the rebound BSL after a hypo can appear at 30 minutes + and I have tracked BSL rises lasting 2 hours.
I would usually try to gently correct the BSL rise with some short-acting insulin. The problems is that overdoing the correction leads to another hypo, a real see-saw. if one is too keen.

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 diabetic and it happened when I was 50 but when I was a young woman with a family I used to have terrible low blood sugars it took ages for me to feel better it seemed to be when I had a period just seems funny know