CT scan and Metformin

SheilaSalop

Hi, I am sure there is already a thread on this, my apologise if there is - just point me in the right direction!

I have an appt for a CT scan with a contrast medium next Saturday and the info sheet says to tell them, at the appt, if you are diabetic and taking Metformin. Now, I looked this up [sad soul] and some places seem to recommend stopping the Metformin before the scan takes place. I phoned them and they said just keep taking it . . .

Anyone out there have any experiences of this, able to re-assure me etc, etc.

Reactions: ickihun

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There does seem to be conflicting information on this with the risk of lactic acidosis being the cited concern.
Metformin is considered a mild drug in terms of bg levels and taking this into account I personally would stop taking it a couple of days before the scan with CM and for a couple of days afterwards. Another reason for this decision would be that some people are allergic to the CM itself and this added risk would make me think I'd hate to risk two adverse reactions.

Good luck with the scan and with the results.

Reactions: SheilaSalop

SheilaSalop

Thanks Guzzler, I think I am right to be concerned. The info sheet in the box of Metformin says ' ask your drs advice if you need to have a scan involving . . . contrast medium . . . into the blood stream'.
I will give the GP a ring and see what she says . . . .
I have already been told by one consultant I have VOMIT - victim of a medical intervention or treatment - I don't need any more!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stopping the Metformin a few days before and after the scan will not do you any harm at all as it only has a small impact on blood sugars, if any at all. Better safe than sorry.

Andy-Annom

I have had in total 6 CT scans and this isn't unusual. I have never had to stop taking the metformin, however you did the right thing by contacting them. As a rule I always contact them before hand so I have the correct information.

SheilaSalop

Thank you Andy. I think I will give the GP a ring - just to be on the safe side - but knowing you have 'been there, done that' on a number of occasions helps :)

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I had a CT scan about three years ago and was told to stop taking Metformin for two days before and after - pot luck as to what you get told!

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SheilaSalop hi. I had a ct scan last year for my neck/jaw/ear, I phoned & said I was diabetic 2. I was told to take my meds as normal but not to eat 4 hours before, I was injected with contrast medium. I had to drink a large jug of water just before scan & I took food to eat straight after the scan. Best to phone & check, might depend on why your having scan. Good luck

M030511

I had a CT scan in March this year. I needed to have a blood test first, to check the creatinine level, be the dye used for CT could affect the kidney if one is taking Metformin. I also needed to drink plenty of water before and after the CT scan.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, I am sure there is already a thread on this, my apologise if there is - just point me in the right direction!

I have an appt for a CT scan with a contrast medium next Saturday and the info sheet says to tell them, at the appt, if you are diabetic and taking Metformin. Now, I looked this up [sad soul] and some places seem to recommend stopping the Metformin before the scan takes place. I phoned them and they said just keep taking it . . .

They check your last liver and kidney performance blood test results and advise you from that. Those with liver/kidney problems have to stop metformin with dye and those with good liver and kidney health can continue it if instructed to.
I hope this helps. :)

Reactions: Energize

alicia kerr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Sheila
I hope the reason for your scan is not abdominal discomfort. I had over an 18 year period several such tests as I was in daily pain and became allergic to an increasing number of substances and foods, culminating in severe fluid retention. I stopped the Metformin under a Consultants advice in A & E having ended up there as an emergency with my symptoms and have been symptom free since. And I mean symptom free! No pain, no bloating, no gluten intolerance etc. I manage my diabetes with diet only which is difficult because I only weigh 8 stone, but my results are generally better than when I was taking Metformin. Make sure with your scan that they are looking at the whole of you not just concentrating on a few symptoms.
Good luck.

SheilaSalop

Thank you all for good wishes and advice. I phoned the GP who said to ask the Radiotherapy Dept but I have done that. I only got as far a Receptionist who said the Radiogropher would have checked my blood test results but, tbh, I am more worried about my liver function tests which are high and rising. I have decided to stop the Metformin for 24hrs before the appt and work from there. I shall report back to re-assure you that I haven't experienced dire side effects!

Reactions: Energize

Brummieboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Sheila, I'm a type two diabetic, and following a bout of pneumonia last year had to have two ct scans with contrast. I also take four metformin tabs per day. I advised the hospital of this prior to the appointments and their advice was to continue with them as normal. I also advised the radiographer on each occasion, and they also were not worried. In each case I had no ill effects either during or following the scan. Terry.

SheilaSalop

Sheila, I'm a type two diabetic, and following a bout of pneumonia last year had to have two ct scans with contrast. I also take four metformin tabs per day. I advised the hospital of this prior to the appointments and their advice was to continue with them as normal. I also advised the radiographer on each occasion, and they also were not worried. In each case I had no ill effects either during or following the scan. Terry.

Thanks Terry, that is reassuring. I think you can over think these things but now I am aware that different advice is given in different places I think I will stick with my decision not to take them before the scan and discuss with the radiographer when I am there. PS Although my tag is SheilaSalop I am also a brummie - you can take the girl from Birmingham . . .

SheilaSalop

Just to say all went well yesterday - I was asked when I got there whether I had taken my Metformin that day [which I hadn't] and told I could take them the same day 'as normal' [which I didn't].

Thank you all for your advice, help and support with this :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to say all went well yesterday - I was asked when I got there whether I had taken my Metformin that day [which I hadn't] and told I could take them the same day 'as normal' [which I didn't].

Thank you all for your advice, help and support with this :)

Good luck with the results.

alicia kerr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so pleased that is over and done with for you, but increasingly alarmed at the number of expensive CT scans in the diabetic community on Metformin. Im still not taking it and am wondering whether we should be lobbying for more tests on this cheap as chips drug.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am so pleased that is over and done with for you, but increasingly alarmed at the number of expensive CT scans in the diabetic community on Metformin. Im still not taking it and am wondering whether we should be lobbying for more tests on this cheap as chips drug.
They still don't know why it helps IR so if they want to dissect why it works, when it's tolerated, I'd be interested.