Are there any carbs

primmers

in the smell from the inside of Easter Eggs?

OK, not a serious question :D

I spent a happy few minutes earlier today just inhaling the sweet chocolatey smell which, if I'm honest, has always been my favourite part of the egg. It made me ridiculously happy, I can't imagine I'd feel as good smelling home made wholemeal bread or mashed potatoes which are the carbs I'm missing most. Do we think there was a real physiological reaction going on or is it all in my mind?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Yes........there are as many carbs as when you walk past a Curry House and inhale the fumes ..... :D

(only joking.....) :wink:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Serious answer though, anticipation, smell and taste of food stimulates insulin secretion (and gastric secretions via signals from the brain (it's called the cephalic phase) so no carbs but does have an effect!

C

catherinecherub

Could also have evoked some happy memory associated with chocolate.
Evidently, according to psychologists, toast is the most popular for happiness.

jaykay

Just had the littlest piece of my son's Mars easter egg....it was horrible :!: :?: Had to go and have a teaspoon of peanut butter to take the taste away! I haven't had 'normal' chocolate for about 8 months or so...what on earth has happened to it while away I've been away! :lol: Funny what you can get used to isn't it?

anniep

I have been a very bad person I was given and ate 2 cadburys cream eggs :oops:

but they were gorgeous :mrgreen:

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
anniep said:
I have been a very bad person I was given and ate 2 cadburys cream eggs :oops:

but they were gorgeous :mrgreen:

What is wrong with a piece of chocolate every day (in moderation). My Son has never gone without a small treat everyday, so what is wrong with that as denying a child in my mind only makes things worse. We have bought him a Cadbury's mini egg easter egg, cut it up into small sections and he will have a piece every day :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Nothing wrong with a small treat - I have a treat every day - a biscuit with a cup of tea. I count the carbs in my total. I don't test afterwards 8) but I am a type 2. I find if I'm tempted to eat something I shouldn't I just think of my daily biscuit. Keeps me on track and my craving for sweet things under control. :)

anniep

Ah but there's the problem, 2 cream eggs are not a small treat - I am better not having any as once started I can't stop. But I hope back on the wagon today....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catherinecherub said:
Could also have evoked some happy memory associated with chocolate.
Evidently, according to psychologists, toast is the most popular for happiness.

Can't argue with toast being the most popular. Freshly ground coffee has to be my favourite, apparently having this smell in your home when selling increases the chances of a sale, the smell must make it feel more homely I suspect! :)

Nigel

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya! I had to run out of a supermarket that had fresh Hot Cross buns. I stood inhaling the smell for a while, but thought I'd better make a sharp exit in case I was overcome by the urge to start shovelling them into my mouth :lol: I was fine with not having chocolate eggs, but boy did I miss the Hot Cross buns :(

Smidge

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My brother and his wife had been to Bruges and brought me a very small box of hand-made chocolates. I'm afraid I was not strong-minded enough to give them away, so I'm eating them one at a time, day by day. :oops:

The funny thing is, some of them are milk and white chocolate, which pre-diabetes I wouldn't have touched. And they are far too sweet, really! :shock:

Mind you, hand-made Belgian white chocolate is a far cry from Milky Bar!

Viv 8)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've started another thread specifically to discuss phoenix' above comment:

phoenix said:
Serious answer though, anticipation, smell and taste of food stimulates insulin secretion (and gastric secretions via signals from the brain (it's called the cephalic phase) so no carbs but does have an effect!

Very interesting stuff.

Check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20904

megan2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello ,

I am being informed by my medical nurse the need to cut out carbs to help try and lose weight.
My mobility is now limited and are in constant pain especially lower right side of back knees , legs and feet.
I am reading up on low carbs etc however are very scared as my diet has been so poor for so many years and I find change extremely difficult to stick to.
I am looking for some advice from type 1 diabetics that are going through or have been through this process and any help they may have.
I am determined to try and feel better as the last few years have been a nightmare.
I am very worried
Greg