Puffed Wheat cereal for breakfast

vadxb

Hi all

I was wondering whether you guys have tried puffed wheat cereal for breakfast. I have tried this one by good grain company which contains 11g carbs per 15g portion size. The company says it contains little or no sugar but I do see an impact on my BG.

fasting - 5.8
1 hr after puffed wheat cereal and skimmed milk - 8.3
2 hrs after - 5.7

I'm not sure whether the 1 hour BG jump of 8.3 is something I should be concerned about? This forum is fantastic and I'm learning a lot.

Many thanks!

calisto51

depends on how much you are eating in one sitting, do you weigh the cereal and account for the milk as well I find personally Cereals are a big no no for me, but there again everybody is different

RussG

If those numbers relate to the usual portion you would like to eat, then they look pretty decent to me. Any carb is going to make your sugars rise - that's just the normal process - but coming back down to that level after two hours is within the desired range.

Maybe try it a couple more times and test if you're concerned but sounds absolutely fine to me.

Snodger

I agree, it sounds pretty healthy to me. Even non-diabetics can get a rise an hour after a high carb meal.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Going by those readings you seem to tolerate the puffed wheat well, test over a few mornings just to be sure.

Nigel

vadxb

Thanks everyone! I generally measure the quantity and factor in the carbs content in the milk portion (sounds a bit stupid but never knew that milk contained carbs till I was diagnosed diabetic!!)

I was just concerned about the rise after an hour and the drop back to the range. However, from the responses, it looks like Im not doing too bad then.

Thanks again :)

Cowboyjim

More to the point do they taste nice? 8)
I suspect they have little nutritional value however so why not have bacon n eggs etc?

vadxb

Cowboyjim said:
I suspect they have little nutritional value however so why not have bacon n eggs etc?

Bacon is no for me because I'm vegetarian (well lacto-ovo to be precise). I'm actually trying out breakfast cereals because I tend to eat them a lot. I got similar readings with other cereals like Kashi and Kelloggs Optivita (without the raisins). But unfortunately other carbs like rice and bread gives me BG spike ( sometimes 12 plus after 60 minutes and returns back to 7ish range). I guess we are all different.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
vadxb said:
Cowboyjim said:

Bacon is no for me because I'm vegetarian (well lacto-ovo to be precise). I'm actually trying out breakfast cereals because I tend to eat them a lot. I got similar readings with other cereals like Kashi and Kelloggs Optivita (without the raisins). But unfortunately other carbs like rice and bread gives me BG spike ( sometimes 12 plus after 60 minutes and returns back to 7ish range). I guess we are all different.

Porridge works a treat for me and hardly raises my bg, together with seeds, berries and low-fat yogurt it makes a nutritious breakfast that keeps you full till lunch, try it but remember to test regularly to see what impact it has on bg.

Nigel

anniep

vadxb said:
Cowboyjim said:

I'm veggie and have quorn 'bacon' and egg and mushroom for breakfast most days with little change to my bg

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Could the higher figure be a liver dump ?
Try them for lunch one day and test the same as you have with the breakfast portion.
Good luck :D
JF.

vadxb

noblehead said:
vadxb said:
Cowboyjim said:

Porridge works a treat for me and hardly raises my bg, together with seeds, berries and low-fat yogurt it makes a nutritious breakfast that keeps you full till lunch, try it but remember to test regularly to see what impact it has on bg.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. Porridge with seeds and berries sound delicious. I'll definitely try this.

Just curious, my friend suggested that Irish oats works wonders on his BG levels as it takes longer to digest or something? I'll definitely be staying away from the ready to make cereals (shocked to see the sugar content on those!) and stick to the old fashioned slow cooked oats!!

Cheers

vadxb

anniep said:
vadxb said:
Cowboyjim said:

I'm veggie and have quorn 'bacon' and egg and mushroom for breakfast most days with little change to my bg

Thanks! Would try this as well (egg and mushroom with grilled tomato would definitely be a nice treat!!)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
vadxb said:
Just curious, my friend suggested that Irish oats works wonders on his BG levels as it takes longer to digest or something? I'll definitely be staying away from the ready to make cereals (shocked to see the sugar content on those!) and stick to the old fashioned slow cooked oats!!

The bigger the oat the longer it takes to break down and digest which is why it is kinder to your blood glucose levels (less chance of a spike). Most people find that the highly processed oats such as Ready Brek cause bg spikes and don't leave them sustained throughout the morning, I usually buy the Scotch Porridge oats but last week bought a pack of Organic Jumbo Oats from Holland & Barrett which are bigger in size and even better.

Most breakfast cereals contain high quantities of sugar and salt, best keep away from these wherever possible and stick with something wholesome such as oats.

Nigel