Article in inews about potatoes - confusing?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ships biscuits.. It would seem that carnivores get very little vit C but no cases of scurvy so far..
From what I remember, ships biscuits contained a lot of added protein (weevils?) so would be suitable (?) for carnivores perhaps, methinks, Arr Jim Lad, Thar she blows. Maybe it was the pox got them A plague on all your houses etc.

Edit to add: we did have a list of the sponsors of DUK and it would suggest this is why they are staunch supporters of Eatwell and decry LC diets as being works of the Devil hisself.

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
oh dear, the simple and complex carbs argument. For my body they are just the difference between a slow, long rise, as a quick short high rise in levels.

I am of the position that there is only one kind of carb to be concerned about -- the kind that turns to glucose 1:1 in the bloodstream (net/available carb).

That said, they do come in different speeds (glycemic index, GI), but also can be buffered by eating in combination with other foods - zero-carb buffer such as fat, protein, additional/isolated fiber (native fiber content is considered already in the GI), as well as low-carb, low-GI foods (weighted average GI). Some can also be modified to lower GI by certain processes (cooking, then refrigerating/freezing starches has been shows to lower GI slightly).

Still, net carbs are net carbs, but there are ways to slow them down. However, slow or fast, they will still translate 1:1 into glucose once eaten. Seems you may understand this, but I find many people dont get this.... I read a lot of stories were someone eats 50 carbs of a low-GI item, and then is surprised their BG experienced a slow "unstoppable rise". "But it was low-GI"... then they say the glycemic index "doesnt work"

Last edited:

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Many people on this forum report that rice, pasta, bread and so forth raises their levels, even in small quantities. However, several people report that they can manage small quantities of potatoes. I am one of them. The portions have to be small, however, such as 6 to 10 chips, 2 small roasties, or 2 or 3 small new (with butter) Perhaps it is the fat that helps, but I have tested and tested them, and they are fine for me.

Yes, fat is a buffer. As are protein and isolated soluble fiber. A small amount of a mid- to high-carb, higher-GI items can be buffered down to a slower absorption speed via "Meal-GI" dynamics (the interaction of other foods -- buffering, and weighted average GI). I find, using "R" insulin btw, that we can work in some yellow potato hashbrowns for breakfast, on occasion.

Yellow potatoes have a lower GI than white, to start (around 68-70, compared to 85 for a russet). They are shredded then squeezed of as much "juice" as possible -- a good amount of starch comes out with the "juice". They are then soaked in water, and squeezed again, removing a little more starch. Then seasoned and cooked with the usual amount of oil (we use olive). This gets them down to a GI of around 40-45.

Eaten alone, this is still way too high for R insulin, however, eaten with 2 large eggs (buffer), sage sausage (buffer), bacon (buffer, mostly), a portion of leafy green or broccoli (weighted average GI downward), we get a total breakfast Meal-GI of around 25. Quite alright for "R" insulin, at least for us.

Caveat -- the hashbrowns are eaten towards the end of the meal, and usually no more than 35-40g post cooking weight. You dont want to start off the meal with the carby item, as you dont get that buffering from the other items. (edit: I wonder if the people you mentioned, who report problems, ate the "small amount" first instead of toward then end)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am of the position that there is only one kind of carb to be concerned about -- the kind that turns to glucose 1:1 in the bloodstream (net/available carb).

That said, they do come in different speeds (glycemic index, GI), but also can be buffered by eating in combination with other foods - zero-carb buffer such as fat, protein, additional/isolated fiber (native fiber content is considered already in the GI), as well as low-carb, low-GI foods (weighted average GI). Some can also be modified to lower GI by certain processes (cooking, then refrigerating/freezing starches has been shows to lower GI slightly).

Still, net carbs are net carbs, but there are ways to slow them down. However, slow or fast, they will still translate 1:1 into glucose once eaten. Seems you may understand this, but I find many people dont get this.... I read a lot of stories were someone eats 50 carbs of a low-GI item, and then is surprised their BG experienced a slow "unstoppable rise". "But it was low-GI"... then they say the glycemic index "doesnt work"
Actually you do not mention one important aspect of the effect of low GI on sugar levels which most people forget to mention, That is, that when we eat carbs, then this triggers off an insulin response in our digestive tract to deal with it. So while we are eating then first the stage 1 response kicks in followed a while later by stage 2 response. These cause our blood insulin levels to rise so that we start to deal with the sugar surge, The slowing down of the digestion by low GI factors means that we start dealing with the spike just as it starts to rise, so in effect this will further reduce the spike since we begin to eliminate excess bgl through the normal kidneys and storage routes

So the GI factor does help keep sugar spikes down, and is another useful tool in the armoury.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Yes, fat is a buffer. As are protein and isolated soluble fiber. A small amount of a mid- to high-carb, higher-GI items can be buffered down to a slower absorption speed via "Meal-GI" dynamics (the interaction of other foods -- buffering, and weighted average GI). I find, using "R" insulin btw, that we can work in some yellow potato hashbrowns for breakfast, on occasion.

Yellow potatoes have a lower GI than white, to start (around 68-70, compared to 85 for a russet). They are shredded then squeezed of as much "juice" as possible -- a good amount of starch comes out with the "juice". They are then soaked in water, and squeezed again, removing a little more starch. Then seasoned and cooked with the usual amount of oil (we use olive). This gets them down to a GI of around 40-45.

Eaten alone, this is still way too high for R insulin, however, eaten with 2 large eggs (buffer), sage sausage (buffer), bacon (buffer, mostly), a portion of leafy green or broccoli (weighted average GI downward), we get a total breakfast Meal-GI of around 25. Quite alright for "R" insulin, at least for us.

Caveat -- the hashbrowns are eaten towards the end of the meal, and usually no more than 35-40g post cooking weight. You dont want to start off the meal with the carby item, as you dont get that buffering from the other items. (edit: I wonder if the people you mentioned, who report problems, ate the "small amount" first instead of toward then end)
Red potatoes are supposed to be better as they are lower in starch. I don't eat them though or pasta, rice, etc as I found they made me put on weight, even a small portion. I just eat my salad or veg as the main part of my food

Reactions: Serena51

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Red potatoes are supposed to be better as they are lower in starch. I don't eat them though or pasta, rice, etc as I found they made me put on weight, even a small portion. I just eat my salad or veg as the main part of my food
Carb for carb then sweetpotato and normal potatoes are almost identical, but I can tolerate sweetpotato, but have to be very careful with white potatoes. Mashed spud is a severe challenge for me. Again, I get on better with the baby potatoes used in salads and also new potatoes rather than the starchier standard potatoes.- pots get flabbier (or starchier) the older they get - sound familiar? I am not sure the colour of their skin is that important so redskins act like whites for me.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Carb for carb then sweetpotato and normal potatoes are almost identical, but I can tolerate sweetpotato, but have to be very careful with white potatoes. Mashed spud is a severe challenge for me. Again, I get on better with the baby potatoes used in salads and also new potatoes rather than the starchier standard potatoes.- pots get flabbier (or starchier) the older they get - sound familiar? I am not sure the colour of their skin is that important so redskins act like whites for me.
It is not really the colour of the skin, but the type of potato. They have less starch compared to say "Whites floury" Also I read that if you cook the reds first, then let them cool down, put them into the fridge, then warm through until hot, is supposed to stop a spike. Yes I have read that mash is not very good for diabetics. I love my cauliflower and broccoli mash with some garlic puree cream and butter, sometimes I will add grated cheese. Its very filling and actually feels like I have had mashed potato

BloodThirsty

The original article about the humble spud was generic in nature and not aimed at a particular group such as diabetics.
With this in mind the author is not wrong to assert that potatoes do contribute to improved blood glucose control, weight loss and healthy gut flora... albeit in the form of raw potato (resistant) starch.
There's plenty about it on the web but here's a quick one for starters: https://www.dietdoctor.com/potato-starch-lchf-resistant-starch

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is not really the colour of the skin, but the type of potato. They have less starch compared to say "Whites floury" Also I read that if you cook the reds first, then let them cool down, put them into the fridge, then warm through until hot, is supposed to stop a spike. Yes I have read that mash is not very good for diabetics. I love my cauliflower and broccoli mash with some garlic puree cream and butter, sometimes I will add grated cheese. Its very filling and actually feels like I have had mashed potato
It is difficult to find a good source of information on starch in potatoes that is unbiassed. There seems to be little to choose between the two groups of potato, but it could be that reds tend to be picked earlier, so they tend to have less storage starch, but higher in simple sugars. I did find this article that does make allowance for diabetics, but cannot vouch for it being unbiassed either,
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/potatoes-good-carbs-7866.html

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin

Actually, red potatoes not so great -- 15 carb per 100g (same as yellow) when boiled, but with a GI 89 or more. Yes, other types have more carbs (up to 20 or more), but only one that I am aware of has a higher GI, and that is a Desiree potato (about 15.4 carb per 100g).

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin

sweet potatoes have lower GI than regular potatoes, though tend to be higher in carbs. The starch is a more "resistant starch", in that it is more slowly digested, so the GI measures out at around 42. Still, sweet potatoes do have about 20 carb per 100g.

New potatoes are slightly lower GI than regular, at around 62. Still have the carbs though.

For the red skinned potatoes, see my response above.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is easier to determine the carb content and GI of no potatoes.

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, there are ways to reduce GI of starches, such as spuds, after cooking by refrigerating or freezing, and I have found research that indicates this works for other starches as well, like pasta (think a cold pesto pasta) -- and the GI stays reduced even after reheating. However, it is lower still when chilled, which is why a cold mayonnaise-y (buffered) potato salad has surprisingly lower GI than plain spuds. The carbs are still there, just slowed down a bit.

I have also come across research that says repeating the process a few times has slightly more effect (freeze, thaw, freeze again, etc).

That said, spuds are still risky business, imo... especially for a type-1. Hashbrowns we can work in here and there, but we pretty much avoid the rest.

D

Deleted member 308541

Yup.
Although I do eat them. Occasionally. Usually as chips. My life is fairly potato free.
I noticed a cold spud lite left over from last nights dinner in the fridge, it will be reheated for breakfast with eggs and bacon etc.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed a cold spud lite left over from last nights dinner in the fridge, it will be reheated for breakfast with eggs and bacon etc.
Can you provide any more information about these Spud Lites? Are they a variety of potato, or have they been processed in some way? It seems strange they are only available in Australia, I would have expected the producers to have marketed them as widely as possible.

D

Deleted member 308541

It seems strange they are only available in Australia, I would have expected the producers to have marketed them as widely as possible.
If they had enough to export they would be sold to China, as it's easier to send them there so they arrive fresh. I believe the same company have them in New Zealand, but cannot confirm this.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If they had enough to export they would be sold to China, as it's easier to send them there so they arrive fresh. I believe the same company have them in New Zealand, but cannot confirm this.
If they had a partner in the UK they would only have to send some seed potatoes to produce them here.