Viv's Modified Atkins Diet

shymandy

Re: Viv's Diet

i thnk il try tht diet to see if it wrks for me aswell as im a heavy boned and i hve put on loads o weight for my size

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Diadeb, it's more that you mustn't try to exclude fat than that you should add it. A lot of the early publicity about the diet gave the idea that it was all fat - enormous pieces of cheese, etc - whereas I found I'd never eaten so many vegetables in my life!

Shymandy, the first time I did it, after being on a low-fat/high-carb diet for years, I lost 14lb in the first two weeks. Quite a bit of that was water, as it is with any diet, but the results gave me so much incentive that it was easy to keep going. I lost 50lb in 6 months. I'm finding it more difficult this time, but I'm trying to stick to it - and I'm sure it will get easier as the weather gets better!

Best of luck with it - and let us know how you go on. :D

Viv :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Fat makes everything taste better.

FACT! (Google it...)

I also eat more veg than I ever have before.:

- Asparagus with butter and salt n' pepper
- Stir fried cauli and broccoli with olive oil, chilli and garlic (and soon be added, ginger)
- Very fine string beans with toasted sesame oil and soy sauce with sesame seeds
- Saag paneer (stir fried spinach with onion and paneer (indian cheese))
- Stir fried spinach cheddar cheese and chilli <<< I LOVE this.
- Mushrooms fried in butter (quatered - not sliced)
- Sliced peppers with dips (sour cream/salsa/houmous, etc...)
- Stir fried bean sprouts
- Sliced cabbage fried in butter, w/bacon lardons and cheese sauce
- Greek Salad (shredded cabbage, onion, lettuce with olive oil and lemon juice w/black sesame seeds)
- Home made coleslaw
- Pickled Ghurkins
- Roasted peppers
- Sliced courgette fried in butter (Shalow fried in butter, courgette strips would pass as chips!)

There's quite a bit of science behind why food tastes better with fat, but - basically - fat feels nice in your mouth, and stays there longer!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Patch said:
Fat makes everything taste better.

FACT! (Google it...)

Fat can contribute in the cause of heart and cardiovascular disease.

FACT! (Google it...)

:lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

"Can, may, might, could, believed to..." You sure that's a fact?

Fat DOES make food taste better. Not CAN make it taste better, not MIGHT make it taste better, not COULD make it taste better.

How can a statement with "can" in the middle of it be a fact? :?

Fight the power.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

No need to shout Patch, just let me know if you can find one single cardiologist who says that eating lots of fat is a good idea.

I wont hold my breath :D

Everything in moderation is a mantra I will listen to but eating excessive amounts of one food type and excluding another is not a good idea IMHO, I realise you don't agree, but are we not all allowed an opinion without being shouted at?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Chill out - I wasn't shouting.

Afraid I don't know any cardiologists (how many do you know?). But I don't need a cardiologist to tell me that veggies stir fried with some fat tastes better than boiled/steamed veggies. :wink:

Also you don't need lots of fat in order to make food taste good. A couple of tblsp in a wok is plenty.

Peace, Love and Olive Oil.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Shame - Sid and I have been getting on quite wel lately... :wink:

anniep

sue32 said:
I notice you say no carrots or peas. In the Glycaemic Load regime they are OK as the GL diet calculates the GI of the amount of food you will eat. I eat both carrots and peas and my BM's are great. But I cannot eat lentils, they raise my sugars by a significant amount. BUT I didn't realise that cashews were high in carbs. I've certainly learned something today. I'll grind them up for the birds!!! :| :D :D :D

How we vary - I can eat very few cooked carrots - although I can eat some raw. But I can eat lentils and other pulses!

C

catherinecherub

Hi Viv,

I notice that you say....."It is basically a low-glycemic index diet, eating fresh and unprocessed foods, with plenty of fat".
A low glycemic diet does not include processed food so that bit is right. It also includes all food groups and limited fat, mostly mono.

anniep said:
sue32 said:
I notice you say no carrots or peas. In the Glycaemic Load regime they are OK as the GL diet calculates the GI of the amount of food you will eat. I eat both carrots and peas and my BM's are great. But I cannot eat lentils, they raise my sugars by a significant amount. BUT I didn't realise that cashews were high in carbs. I've certainly learned something today. I'll grind them up for the birds!!! :| :D :D :D

How we vary - I can eat very few cooked carrots - although I can eat some raw. But I can eat lentils and other pulses!
:lol: :lol: I can eat carrots, raw or cooked and lentils and beans.

anniep

catherinecherub said:
Hi Viv,

I notice that you say....."It is basically a low-glycemic index diet, eating fresh and unprocessed foods, with plenty of fat".
A low glycemic diet does not include processed food so that bit is right. It also includes all food groups and limited fat, mostly mono.

anniep said:
sue32 said:

:lol: :lol: I can eat carrots, raw or cooked and lentils and beans.

Now you are just showing off :mrgreen:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Maybe I should have said: " a diet using low glycaemic index foods . . .". Would that be better? It is not a "Low Glycaemic Index Diet" and has never been advertised/claimed as such.

As far as knowing cardiologists who advise this type of diet, Sid - well, the one I know of was named "Robert Atkins" , who practised as a fully-qualified cardiologist in the USA for decades before his premature death, and was never 'struck off', or whatever the US equivalent is, despite the opposition to his nutritional approach to cardiovascular disease, obesity and diabetes Type II.

And his success in treating all of the above. Which may just be anecdotal, of course. :roll:

I admit a bias! It works for me. It may not work for anyone else. I hope people will tell us if it does. (Patch?)

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'm thinking of withdrawing from this forum for a while - to recover my composure, have a re-think, and enjoy a cooling-off period. Sorry, but the recent tone has been too much for me.

Anyone who wishes to keep in touch - PM me and I'll give you my email address. I'll monitor for a week or so yet.

Viv :cry:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I'm sorry to hear that. It has been a pleasure reading your posts and I will miss you as my
friend :( I hope you will come back after having some time off to reflect on things :)

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Re: Viv's Modified Atkin's Diet

Really hoping that you stay around Viv , please dont let this force you into leaving the forum, we would all miss you x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

catherinecherub said:
Perhaps we should all post our diet and cause disruption? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I eat nothing but a bucket full of spinach every day and it works for me, I read about it in a paper by Popeye the Sailor man. It is the only diet that works for diabetics so you must all follow it too :wink:

popeye.JPG

viviennem said:
I'm thinking of withdrawing from this forum for a while - to recover my composure, have a re-think, and enjoy a cooling-off period. Sorry, but the recent tone has been too much for me.
Viv :cry:

Vivien, please dont let one member with tunnel vision stress you out, your views here are well respected as are the views of many others, even Patch on occasion :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I eat nothing but a bucket full of spinach every day and it works for me, I read about it in a paper by Popeye the Sailor. It is the only diet that works for diabetics so you must all follow it too
how remiss of you Sid, you forgot to give the citation. This one backs up his point.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/737196

I did find one of his papers on how to grow it, written in conjuction with Peter Rabbit together with a long list of other contributors
Titre du document / Document title
But they're good for you ! ... The world of horticulture as brought to you by Popeye, Peter Rabbit, and your mother
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
Univ. Maryland, coll. human ecology, College Park MD 20742, ETATS-UNIS
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=5428424

Viv, keep at it, you are, as Sid said , a valued member, supportive, non judgemental and open minded.

jaykay

I have one more thing that MUST be said. Sid and Phoenix, you are both very, very silly............
.....................Keep up the good work :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ClaireJC

Dislikes
People who force their opinions on you without checking their facts first!

Thanks Viv - much appreciated advice that I'll be following. :)

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'

This diet is brill.

Thanks Viv

Ailz