sick of diabetes

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having gone from doing a chemistry exercise with my pee to determine how much sugar had been in my body 6 hours previously to instant blood test results and from sterilising syringues to be filled with pig insulin to a pump, I am grateful for the immense progress. And yes I have been caught out without spares when my pump failed of a weekend. It was as scary as the prospect of a no deal Brexit (anyone stockpiling any Humalog that I can buy on the black market next April?!)

TheFloppyOne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic! I did Applied Biology back in the early 90s, and one of my modules was AI (in its very early incarnations) - one of my projects was featured on Tomorrow’s World (a BBC science programme). I’m fascinated by the whole biohacking thing, with my pump, glucose sensor, Bluetooth transmitter all connected to my phone, I’m already part cyborg... :borg:

Technology will be a real liberator for the lives of many disabled, ill and of people of impaired health in the
future.

I just wish I could see the day when a disabled child can wear an exoskeleton that is affordable for the poorest family.

I hope one day the human race will reach a point of benevolence and focus on human potential rather than individual gain.

lindisfel

Expert
Interesting blog, John. Thanks.
I learnt many years ago we didn't live in the black and white world some would have us believe.

I always found it an inconvenient truth that Ancel Keys lived to be 100 years old. Perhaps if he had been in keto all that time he would be around today! :) ;)
regards
Derek

I found this blog quite illuminating might be good to peruse it before demonizing Ancel Keys.

https://deniseminger.com/2011/12/22/the-truth-about-ancel-keys-weve-all-got-it-wrong/

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Interesting blog, John. Thanks.
I learnt many years ago we didn't live in the black and white world some would have us believe.

I always found it an inconvenient truth that Ancel Keys lived to be 100 years old. Perhaps if had been in keto all that time he would be around today! :) ;)
regards
Derek
Cheers Derek though I think somehow I managed to post that in a thread I did not intend to so I think I am a bit of my game today.

Sorry for being so far off topic. BTW though I don't inject I still hate having diabetes as well and I'm sick of it making me feel sick.
Also after 15 years of it I am still sick of the root cause of my diabetes my immune system trying ever so hard to kill me off.
So in that respect I can relate to T1's

lindisfel

Expert
Hi John,
I think it's a very positive course your taking progressing your O.U degree, it helps concentrate the mind on something else.
Like you I have other issues causing my T2D and one has to work round the problems as best we can and concentrate on varied interests.

Keep fighting on, or as Dylan Thomas said, "Do not go gentle into that good night."
regards
Derek

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Keep fighting on, or as Dylan Thomas said, "Do not go gentle into that good night.
Thanks Derek I have no intention of going gentle they will have to drag me kicking and screaming.

Though I did do both those degrees at a normal university I have done OU courses as well ie the foundation year in advanced and applied mathematics and a couple of second and third level courses science that used to be S101 was what got me onto the BSc Pod med .

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@GlitterSparkles you are NOT alone. Occasionally, diabetes with its daily self-care could be overwhelming. Take it easy and persevere. Consider a visit, holiday or outing that could lift up your mood.

Whatever happens, do not give up but remember that the mood of despair happens to non-diabetics too.

Sent from my E6683 using Diabetes Forum mobile app

alan_diggers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
tahnk you eberyone your all soooo kind and i mean the pain of the needles and blood tests and all that stuff thanks agai n for the support:shy:
Hi. My heart and soul goes out to you. O often feel the same and the prodding, medication, food regime and the whole paraphernalia gets me down from to time. Then I think of the alternatives and they are even more sobering.
Please don't give up.

n1ck

I agree with all here...having diabetes has it's ups and downs (excuse the pun!) but it's how we deal with it individually. Everybody is different and everyone will have their own methods. The most frustrating part for me is even though i've been very active long before being diagnosed with type 1 and with all my knowledge and experience within the fitness industry etc...it still catches me out with a hypo in the early hours! When i've meticulously planned my fueling for the days workouts and previous weeks training when all is settled on the sugar front..the hypo just comes creeping round the corner! So, all you can do is find what works for you but still be prepared for the unexpected!