Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Good day everyone
One quisten
Why scientists so far can not find a comprehensive solution for diabetes.? Human need to solve

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
To find a solution to any problem one must first find the cause/s.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm still convinced the liver holds the key. It's influence is too prominent so far.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Exactly, why do we become insulin resistant in the first instance.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I'm still convinced the liver holds the key. It's influence is too prominent so far.
In fact, I can not accept that the scientists with all the available technology stand helpless why ?

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally think it's a response from somewhere in the brain, maybe the hypothalamus region which controls hormone release. Not the full cause just part of it! Just my opinion :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
In fact, I can not accept that the scientists with all the available technology stand helpless why ?

1/ Scientists only investigate what they are paid to investigate.
2/ Type 2 is historically viewed as a self inflicted disease.
3/ The small number of T1's is (was) relatively easy to mange without ploughing billions into finding a cure.
4/ Cost wise, diabetes has until fairly recently, not placed much of a burden on the health system in comparison to some other diseases, cancer for instance ( - which affects 1 in 3 people statistically).

It is now recognised that whilst T2 may be the result of lifestyle choices for some individuals, there are many for whom lifestyle is not attributable. Over past decades, billions have been spent on cancer research and I would suspect that the money being spent on diabetes research is almost insignificant in comparison.

With the prospect of diabetes becoming global issue where the number of affected people is growing exponentially, we will see more funding going into the research and hopefully we'll see some benefits in the coming years.

Reactions: bhushan7117

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Possibly because there are so few scientists working directly on the cause of insulin resistance and so many scientists working on new and possibly more expensive drugs to treat the symptoms.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although cancer research is better funded, and this is most likely because more people have cancer than diabetes, Diabetes currently costs a lot more, exceeding $300 billion in the US alone.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to curing a specific " thing ". Just think how many diseases and illnesses there are in the world, how difficult it would be with limited resources to even find a cure for one of them, I think your question is extremely narrow minded if im honest.

Scientists have found a comprehensive solution for diabetes, it is called management control, with our Insulin, our injections, our blood glucose readers, and all the other wonderful inventions made for us to survive, for without all that, we would be most likely, and to put it blunt. Dead. The next steps are much more difficult, curing an autoimmune disease we don't know the cause of? It's going to take time.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
04DB2D4D-6446-4816-BE0A-70B5DAA94886-566-00000015857BFCC4.jpg

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

While true, it's easy to remember why that is, more people die when diagosed with cancer than diabetes, and more people can live healthy lives with Diabetes. Cancer is also cureable ( Not all). I have no doubt there are more people " Living " with diabetes, than with cancer. Interesting fact none the less

This is why I think more research goes into other things anyway.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Because their main interest is not a cure but treatment (commoningly more intelligent insulins and in tablet form). Currently they will be picking dead certs in their gambles of making money. Just til economies settle down.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
While true, it's easy to remember why that is, more people die when diagosed with cancer than diabetes, and more people can live healthy lives with Diabetes. Cancer is also cureable ( Not all). I have no doubt there are more people " Living " with diabetes, than with cancer. Interesting fact none the less

This is why I think more research goes into other things anyway.
Most diabetics die of associated conditions rather than the diabetes itself.

Quite a few endocrine conditions which includes some types/ causes of T2 is caused by dietary/hormonal factors. The response of hormones over time can often lead to an imbalance in hormones, where the brain trigger response does favour insulin to prevent hyperglycaemia, the more insulin levels required, means more insulin becomes resistant, which leads to hyperglycaemia and hyperinsulinaemia. Over time this imbalance will result in prediabetes and ultimately T2.
It is the same with other hormonal conditions such as adrenal and thyroid, where if you read up on the typical symptoms are very similar. The brain is trying to fix a problem and ultimately causes another.

The liver, is under orders from the signal it receives and then tells the other organs to help with what is needed. If that signal is wrong, disrupted, or trying to compensate, that is when, endocrine conditions occur.

The reason why scientists are only doing a lot less research, is because there are so many other factors individually with each patient and the treatment should be specifically tailored to the individual.
Ethnicity, taste, availability, lifestyle and of course intolerant to certain types of foods.
But then, I'm no scientist, just got a weird condition, and I could be talking BS.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most diabetics die of associated conditions rather than the diabetes itself.

Quite a few endocrine conditions which includes some types/ causes of T2 is caused by dietary/hormonal factors. The response of hormones over time can often lead to an imbalance in hormones, where the brain trigger response does favour insulin to prevent hyperglycaemia, the more insulin levels required, means more insulin becomes resistant, which leads to hyperglycaemia and hyperinsulinaemia. Over time this imbalance will result in prediabetes and ultimately T2.
It is the same with other hormonal conditions such as adrenal and thyroid, where if you read up on the typical symptoms are very similar. The brain is trying to fix a problem and ultimately causes another.

The liver, is under orders from the signal it receives and then tells the other organs to help with what is needed. If that signal is wrong, disrupted, or trying to compensate, that is when, endocrine conditions occur.

The reason why scientists are only doing a lot less research, is because there are so many other factors individually with each patient and the treatment should be specifically tailored to the individual.
Ethnicity, taste, availability, lifestyle and of course intolerant to certain types of foods.
But then, I'm no scientist, just got a weird condition, and I could be talking BS.

I assumed when diabetics die of other conditions it is determined that it could be related to Diabetes and that is linked and classed as death by diabetes or due to diabetes complications. Still, it is far less than cancer deaths.

Yes you are very much correct, and it is common knowledge now that one autoimmune disease can lead to another, making diabetics more susceptible to many conditions :(

I think scientists get a hard time, only one virus has been eradicated in the wild, smallpox, and there are a ton more, I think the more manageable diseases get put on the shelf to research more harsh harmful or most threatening to human life, as such in the smallpox virus. While diabetes is manageable I reckon we will be waiting a while for more worthwile research into it.

Another thing I always thought was that type 1 diabetes was evolutionary, whereby everytime an animal (inc. Humans) dies before having offspring, that gene does not then get passed down further down the evolutionary line, until eventually that weak gene is gone. That is assuming type 1 is genetics based. Just a theory anyway

I talk a lot of BS and I don't care

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I forgot, we each have a different metabolism, and our nutritional needs and wants are as individual as our fingerprints.
For example, if I ate a piece of cheese, my metabolism, would get the very low glucose load from it, very quickly, and my background insulin response could cope with that without bother, everyone else , would not digest the piece of cheese as fast, and get very different readings and the rate of the transition would be much slower. The diabetic would require an intervention by getting the pancreas to try and get more insulin to where it is needed. Because even the glucose load derived from the cheese would increase the levels of glucose again, because of insulin resistance, more insulin.
That is a great difference between most T2s and types of hypoglycaemic conditions and other endocrine conditions.
It is so individual.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
By the way. Stress can kill.
How do you suppose that comes about? If not an imminent heartache/stroke.

Stress affects all hormones, especially release.