Pre work out snacks??

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm an intermediate level weight trainer and for me, any pre-workout snack needs to keep my blood sugar on an even keel while giving me slow-release energy that helps me train longer and harder.

After experimenting with isotonic sports drinks Lucozade Sport, all of the ones with sugar in gave me a short energy burst followed by an unwanted increase in blood sugar (I find things Powerade Zero great for hydration but there's obviously no carbs for an energy boost).

But I have found a drink called Karbolic (search for it online, they sell it on bodybuilding.com for example) gives a real prolonged energy boost without hurting my blood sugar. It has no sugar in it and has a mix of slow, medium and fast acting carbs in it that really helps my energy levels and intensity through the workout.

Good luck :)

diabymum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I do an early workout, 6am, I test before I start. I'm generally around the sixish mark. I don't take any snacks because as always after my workout I've shot up to double figures. So home for insulin and breakfast. It will never drop during a workout without having insulin prior.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I bought a tri carbpowder which i felt half a scoop kept up my sugar level for intense workout.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know of any good pre work out snacks to keep your blood sugar from dropping that's healthy and low calorie?
I make my own muesli with oats, nuts, seeds and some dried fruit soaked in apple or orange juice and have some of that with Greek yogurt before going out for a morning run or fast walk. Apparently it's better for women to eat before they exercise and this mixture doesn't put my BG up although I also need minimal insulin if I'm going to exercise. Good luck!

toncra1

Dislikes
NHS give completely wrong advice.
Does anyone know of any good pre work out snacks to keep your blood sugar from dropping that's healthy and low calorie?

There is a way of making up a tray of biscuits: Ground almonds, a small amount of porridge oats, a good teaspoonful of Cinnamon powder and enough melted butter to bind all ingredients enough. Form biscuit shapes on baking parchment on a tray and in oven for about 15 minutes.. They make up a nice biscuit that can be eaten whenever. About 2 carbs each biscuit.... Mmmmm I think I`ll make some (The cinnamon is included as it helps the Insulin and glucose entering the cells)

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I make my own muesli with oats, nuts, seeds and some dried fruit soaked in apple or orange juice and have some of that with Greek yogurt before going out for a morning run or fast walk. Apparently it's better for women to eat before they exercise and this mixture doesn't put my BG up although I also need minimal insulin if I'm going to exercise. Good luck!
By "minimal" do you mean "HALF" what your normal dose would be to cover your lovely muesli-based "snack?" I assume most of it would be slow-acting and - good - very low on carbs.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually have a bottle of lucozade sport with me at the gym, drink it throughout. Low calories and enough carbs to keep my glucose levels raised for the workout.