Dr Eric Berg confusing advice

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the one thing my GP mentioned, so I did, and gained 10 kgs. I didn't go bonkers, just increased fat intake, by adding full fat milk and yogurt, cheese and more meat.
I know that scenario. Living it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the one thing my GP mentioned, so I did, and gained 10 kgs. I didn't go bonkers, just increased fat intake, by adding full fat milk and yogurt, cheese and more meat.

Yes, some of us are VERY broken.
That is why I won't ever touch a low cal diet again.
I would rather be fat, reasonably healthy, with good blood glucose, than slimmer and living a miserable low cal existence. At least I am not hungry, cold and obsessing about food, just like that Minnesota Starvation Experiment, it really gets to you after a while.
https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/...nderstand-a-loved-one-suffering-from-anorexia

@DavidGrahamJones
of the 4 foods you mention above, the full fat milk and yog would make me pile weight on. My body reacts like that to whey. The hard cheese would probably block weight loss, and adding more meat wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

I am in the unfortunate position that my body reacts v quickly to calorie changes. Usually takes just 5 days for the weight loss or gain to stop. I can eat 1000 cals and not lose weight, and then change to 2500 or more cals of extremely low carb (zero carb, or less than 15 g of carbs a day) and not gain.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I would rather be fat, reasonably healthy, with good blood glucose,

The one thing I'm happy about is my blood glucose. I have no doubt that I'm obsessed with the weight thing, partially because it's abundantly clear that the lower intake higher output scenario doesn't always work. My weight had gone up to 27st after taking Rosiglitazone and Citilapram (the latter prescribed by my GP at the time for the anxiety of gaining weight). I lost 4 stone in 4 months when I had to stop taking Rosiglitazone because it was affecting my liver function. That weight loss stopped as soon as I was put on Gliclazide. I then lost another 3 st when I started low carb low fat but even that stopped after a while, although on the bright side I didn't need Gliclazide, Januvia or Atorvastatin any more. I've lost about another stone by really cutting down on my calories and that VLCD has sorted out my BG which had been all over the place despite low carb.

Progress has been made, just another 6 stone or so to go. I'm 66 now and just don't want there to be 8 people carrying my coffin because I'm too big. Morbid I know, my intention is for at least another 25 years so I can catch up with my father LOL.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Both relatively high carb though...?

An interesting question.

Full fat milk 5 gms per 100 ml. Yogurt 3.6 gms per 100 gms. Seems low fat yogurt has a bit more. So by my definition, relative to the skimmed milk and 0% Greek yogurt that I usually eat and baring in mind how much I ate, not relatively high at all. If I was going for zero carbs I might call it relatively high.

Reactions: kitedoc

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting question.

Full fat milk 5 gms per 100 ml. Yogurt 3.6 gms per 100 gms. Seems low fat yogurt has a bit more. So by my definition, relative to the skimmed milk and 0% Greek yogurt that I usually eat and baring in mind how much I ate, not relatively high at all. If I was going for zero carbs I might call it relatively high.

It doesn't matter how many carbs there are in something if your individual body cannot tolerate that number of carbs, or that particular food.

I see people say 'I went low carb and ate 50g carbs a day (or 20g, or whatever), but it didn't fix me.'
Well no. That many carbs wouldn't fix me, either. My body needs much lower than that. We are all individual, and that individuality doesn't necessarily mesh with a number on a food packet label, or what works for other people.

For me, it is a v simple thing. Carbs + fat = weight gain
unless I lower the carbs enough. (and the whey and carbs in the milk and yog you mention would be too much)
or I lower the fat enough (and I am never going low fat again, because my body and my mental health suffer)

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting question.

Would probably stop you from being in ketosis? Also re your point about regaining weight when reverting to eating I'm hardly surprised that after a period of starving yourself you gain some weight. I would however suggest that the gain would have stopped and you may have started to lose again. However, you know your body best. I'll leave it there.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Im looking at the newcastle diet
Which is aimed at diabetics but it is a low calorie diet of 800
Hi. I would think carbs rather than calories as these are more important to use. The problem with the ND is that as it thinks 'calories' (why?) it can encourage a reduction in fats rather than carbs as fats have twice the calorie content. This does not work well for us as fats don't encourage weight or BS gain but carbs do.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I would think carbs rather than calories as these are more important to use. The problem with the ND is that as it thinks 'calories' (why?) it can encourage a reduction in fats rather than carbs as fats have twice the calorie content. This does not work well for us as fats don't encourage weight or BS gain but carbs do.
Im on hardly any carbs as it is.
But what found that we do need them all especially if your working out 5-6days aweek

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what found that we do need them all especially if your working out 5-6days aweek
You only need them so long as you keep taking them in... i.e. carbs are the bodies easiest fuel to use so if you are taking in carbs the body will never get used to burning fat. If you can stop the carbs then the body will switch to fat burning. That's why when switching to an ultra low carb diet working out hard is usually not advised until in ketosis.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

There is no such beast as an essential carbohydrate. We do not need them even as non Diabetics (non Ds can metabolise them and use them efficiently but they still do not actually need them) wheareas there are essential proteins and essential fats. We with broken metabolisms cannot use carbs efficiently so much so that carbs become harmful.
See Prof. Tim Noakes on the subject of sports and carb loading etc.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not so I have said it here before my grandson works out every day and eats just about no carbs whatsoever while doing so, for six days out of seven If I cook a meal with more than just a few of grams of carb in it he won't eat it.

And he is a big lad.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Im looking at the newcastle diet
Which is aimed at diabetics but it is a low calorie diet of 800
I did that. It does sort blood glucose levels. But left me week as a kitten.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not so I have said it here before my grandson works out every day and eats just about no carbs whatsoever while doing so, for six days out of seven If I cook a meal with more than just a few of grams of carb in it he won't eat it.

And he is a big lad.
Depends on his age as well

TrevA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr Berg is not a medical doctor, he got his degree in and was a practicing chiropractor, and he's not a dietician. I think he trades off his "Dr" credentials and is a bit of a fraud.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apart from the fact he is using US measures MG/DL.. Dr Berg is a bit of an "out there" person who sometimes says some very odd things.. and sometimes tries to sell you the products he pushes... I'm not a fan although many are but when I see "Dr Berg" I reach for the salt and take a very large pinch.
He does seem a bit obsessed with the adrenals. You must be getting through plenty of salt BB!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DavidGrahamJones - you may find that dairy in and of itself is problematic. I keep reading again and again of people being unable to lose weight because they continue to eat dairy. No particular allergic or other issues, just that it stalls weight loss. If you've never tried a complete dairy elimination in the past, it might be worth a try. The people at Paleo Medicina in Hungary definitely consider it an issue, especially for anyone with autoimmune issues. They are convinced that it causes intestinal permeability and that healing is impossible while one continues to eat it.

You may also consider trying a 30 day stint of just meat and water - the carnivore diet seems to be a very good elimination diet. You seem to have an iron will when it comes to all things diet, so might be worth a trial run.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just adding - you might find this video interview about the Paleo Medicina diet of interest:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The most frequent descriptive word I found when researching the good pseudo doctor was the word quack that is the plane truth of the matter and if any one is offended by that then so be it.

We on this site do not attempt to diagnose or give medical advice that is behaving responsibly But it seems any one can go on you tube and give dubious and often harmful advice and bear no responsibility for their actions why should we give them time of day.

Last edited: