Pneumococcal Vaccination

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Another question! Went for the flu jab this morning and was offered the pneumococcal vaccination. Has anyone had this? Is it important? I am 27, recently diagnosed type 1 (July).

Thanks in advance,
Tom

D

Deleted Account

I had it soon after my diabetes diagnosis at the same time as my first flu jab.
I believe it provides protection against pneumonia and is a one-off.

My understanding is we are not more likely to suffer from pneumonia than we would without diabetes but having it on top of diabetes would be pretty nasty.

It was the only time I felt a bit off (mildly fluey) after my jabs.
As I had it at the same time as the flu jab, I don't know if these symptoms were caused by the strain of flu that year or the pneumoccal jab.
I am a pro-vaccer as I feel a few days of feeling a bit rough is much better than weeks of feeling terrible and the possibility of passing on my germs to someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had it soon after my diabetes diagnosis at the same time as my first flu jab.
I believe it provides protection against pneumonia and is a one-off.

My understanding is we are not more likely to suffer from pneumonia than we would without diabetes but having it on top of diabetes would be pretty nasty.

It was the only time I felt a bit off (mildly fluey) after my jabs.
As I had it at the same time as the flu jab, I don't know if these symptoms were caused by the strain of flu that year or the pneumoccal jab.
I am a pro-vaccer as I feel a few days of feeling a bit rough is much better than weeks of feeling terrible and the possibility of passing on my germs to someone else.
I had mine 2 weeks after a flu jab. The nurse told my they used to do them at the same time but the complaints of a sore arm reduced significantly when they were separated.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine before I was diagnosed T2, because I had reached the right age for it. I had it at the same time as my flu jab, but in a different arm. No after effects at all. The flu jab arm was more sore than the pneumonia arm.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would bite their hand off if I was offered the pneu jab.
No one has offered yet though.
But I won't have the flu jab. :D

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I agree with Brunneria. I had the flu shot twice before I got D and about 7 weeks latter I got the Flu on both occasions. I have never had the flu in the last 10+ years I have been D nor had the Flu shot. Technically I shouldn't have D as my immune system is very forgetful. I had Rubella 5 times each year from the age of 1 - 6! Chickenpox twice. Alas it remembered my pancreas. My Drs would not be game to mention other jabs. Tetanus is about all I will accept.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is your logic there?

The Pneu virus is a one off, with very long term benefits.
The Flu virus is an annual drain on NHS resources with questionable benefits and efficacy, particularly for some of the target audience.
My family have a history of reacting badly to Flu jabs, but I would be willing to run risk for a one off Pneu jab.

I have no intention of derailing this thread into the pros and cons of Flu jabs, but have explained my thinking on it several times on various Flu threads in the past, and will probably do so again in the future. :D

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the pneumonia jab years ago when they first introduced the flu jab and at the same time, and I have the flu jab every year without fail as it's a useful tool for a T1d to have on board.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Pneumococcal disease is a very bad form of pneumonia, much more so than flu, and people do die of it.

The Pnuemovax vaccine is given at 10 year intervals, if needed.
It commonly causes a slightly sore, warm and swollen injection site, for about 36-48 hours, but really nothing to write home about.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have had both Pneumovax vaccinations, so all good with no complications.

I had mine around the same time I had my fluvax except a week or so apart.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Anecdotally, I know several young (20-30) people who've had pneumonia, It may or may not be the "old person's friend" (kills you quick before you die of something much nastier) but it definitely isn't the young diabetic's friend. I took the jab without hesitation when I lived in the UK (last century :)), and unfortunately haven't been offered it this century (Australia/NZ).

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never been offered the pneumonia vaccine in 25 years of T1D. Had my flu jab every year since diagnosis with no problems at all.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Another question! Went for the flu jab this morning and was offered the pneumococcal vaccination. Has anyone had this? Is it important? I am 27, recently diagnosed type 1 (July).

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Had it a few years ago. No problems that I recall.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went fine for me, was offered it, however if youve never been offered it don't be disillusioned by it, ring up and ask for it and why, they might say oh yes we have some in

Reactions: Struma