Type 2 Metformin side effects

ataxpc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, Heart disease and High blood pressure
I was on high levels of Atorvastatin when first diagnosed and got the the point where I couldnt walk up the stairs without shooting pains in my hips, knees and ankles. I changed doctors and the first thing they did was reduce my Atorvastatin down to 10mg a day and within two days things were back to normal. For me I HAVE to take my Metformin straight after eating otherwise the diarrhea hits the next day. My doctor also lowered the morning dose and that seemed to help a lot.

Hope that helps

Hi, my dr has just agreed to a one moth trial without Metformin this will be followed by month without the statin, that way we should have a clearer idea of which direction I should follow.
Thanks for your help it’s much appreciated, cheers Bob...

ataxpc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
OK, I am very new to this. Please tell me more or could you provide me with a link so that I can find out more? Thanks

Hi, I think this message was for Bulkbiker, cheers Bob...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, your right the (Mediterranean) diet as is didn’t exist, however the diet sheet I was given back then was very similar. I have tried a fasting low calorie diet but it’s not for me, my sugars were all over the place, dr advised me to stop it.
A low carbohydrate diet.. not a low calorie diet. It's the way a lot of us have got blood sugars under control without meds or insulin. I was wondering if you had thought of giving it a go. You'll need to watch out for hypos if you are injecting as it has been known to have speedy effects on blood sugar levels.

colcot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Bad manners, bad drivers, being diabetic, not being thin.
Good morning fellow sufferers, I've just had yet another sleepless night and I'm getting miffed.
I have been a type 2 Diabetic for more than ten years, at first like a lot of you, I controlled it with a strict regime of diet and excercise, sadly this did not last and I was put on Metformin, (I think this is where all my problems started).
Over the years my Metformin was increased (along with the side effects) and I was started on Insulin injections, my medication is now: 1500mg Metformin daily and Insulin at 58ml twice daily. My B/S are stable at between 5.0 and 6.5.
My side effects that started with Metformin medication include: very, very heavy sweating, joint and muscle pain, excessive gas, diahorrea and feeling tired and feeble all the time, (is it any wonder I can't sleep), all these symptoms have increased in intensity as my medication was increased.
I have spoken to my hard pressed G.P. about this, sadly he was more interested (and not surprisingly) in my heart.
Phew, now for my question, is there an alternative to Metformin?, I have heard that N.I.C.E. have supported three new drugs to support us, has anyone any idea if this is true? and if so what are they called?
I wonder, does anybody else suffer with my kind of side effects? and if so what do you do to ease the discomfort?
Thank you in advance and keep up the good work, this forum is brilliant...
I had 5 year of hell on Metformin SR eventually stopped taking it, now on Nova mix 30 without any side effects really.

heli2010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning fellow sufferers, I've just had yet another sleepless night and I'm getting miffed.
I have been a type 2 Diabetic for more than ten years, at first like a lot of you, I controlled it with a strict regime of diet and excercise, sadly this did not last and I was put on Metformin, (I think this is where all my problems started).
Over the years my Metformin was increased (along with the side effects) and I was started on Insulin injections, my medication is now: 1500mg Metformin daily and Insulin at 58ml twice daily. My B/S are stable at between 5.0 and 6.5.
My side effects that started with Metformin medication include: very, very heavy sweating, joint and muscle pain, excessive gas, diahorrea and feeling tired and feeble all the time, (is it any wonder I can't sleep), all these symptoms have increased in intensity as my medication was increased.
I have spoken to my hard pressed G.P. about this, sadly he was more interested (and not surprisingly) in my heart.
Phew, now for my question, is there an alternative to Metformin?, I have heard that N.I.C.E. have supported three new drugs to support us, has anyone any idea if this is true? and if so what are they called?
I wonder, does anybody else suffer with my kind of side effects? and if so what do you do to ease the discomfort?
I will be very interested to see the outcome of you medication testing as I have all the same symptoms and have been put on sleep meds as I have been throwing myself with 3 to 4 hrs a night sleep

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
I struggled with Metformin and Cholopropamide 30 years ago. The latter was on a maximum dose and I couldn't take anymore. The Metformin affected me mentally. I became extremely angry and short tempered, to the point where I'll admit that I was potentially dangerous. I couldn't stand the stuff anymore and elected to go onto Insulin, despite being scared of needles. 30 years later, it was one of the best decisions that I ever made, second only to my decision to marry my wife, who has been monumental in my life and has supported me throughout my time with Diabetes and life's struggles.

ataxpc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I struggled with Metformin and Cholopropamide 30 years ago. The latter was on a maximum dose and I couldn't take anymore. The Metformin affected me mentally. I became extremely angry and short tempered, to the point where I'll admit that I was potentially dangerous. I couldn't stand the stuff anymore and elected to go onto Insulin, despite being scared of needles. 30 years later, it was one of the best decisions that I ever made, second only to my decision to marry my wife, who has been monumental in my life and has supported me throughout my time with Diabetes and life's struggles.

Bless you

ataxpc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I will be very interested to see the outcome of you medication testing as I have all the same symptoms and have been put on sleep meds as I have been throwing myself with 3 to 4 hrs a night sleep

Hi, as I continue with the trials I shall be updating here, probably weekly, thanks for your interest, cheers Bob...

LisbethE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear fellow sufferer, as you are feeling tired and feeble all the time with joint and muscle pain, I would get your doctor to check your Vitamin B12 levels as these can drop as a side effect of being on Metformin long term

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my dr has just agreed to a one moth trial without Metformin this will be followed by month without the statin, that way we should have a clearer idea of which direction I should follow.
Thanks for your help it’s much appreciated, cheers Bob...
Although I felt better after stopping the statin and metformin, it took quite some time for all the effects to subside - more than a month. The pain which hung on in my leg lasted 18 months, then one day I woke up and realized it was gone.
The memory loss has reduced with lots of rereading - but I find it so hard to learn anything new now. It is so annoying when I used to be able to remember words and tunes so easily. I will never really need to know the big speeches of Mark Anthony or King Henry which I learned at school - but I could reel them out even after 40 years - but not after Metformin and Atorvastatin.

ataxpc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dear fellow sufferer, as you are feeling tired and feeble all the time with joint and muscle pain, I would get your doctor to check your Vitamin B12 levels as these can drop as a side effect of being on Metformin long term

Hi and thanks for the advice, I’m going to give it a check, cheers Bob...

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
but how can one control cholesterol without statins....my readings were very high when my statins were stopped for two months once

Eat a low carb diet. Low carb and high good fat helps lower cholesterol over several months. Your triglycerides will lower and HDL(good cholesterol) will rise. Try it, you will find your blood sugars much better controlled.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're still eating high carb whilst on metformin, that can lead to the issues you describe. Lower the carbs and ask for slow release metformin.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on a low carb diet all the time I was taking Metformin - if it is supposed to help, I dread to imagine what it would have been like to be eating normally and taking it.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well the first thing you need to know is whether you should be "controlling" cholesterol at all. For older women a higher reading is considered protective.
Actually it was not only that my Total Cholesterol was high with no statins but my Triglycerides were high too.....how to lower the triglycerides at least if not the total count?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually it was not only that my Total Cholesterol was high with no statins but my Triglycerides were high too.....how to lower the triglycerides at least if not the total count?
And how were/are you eating?