The Exeter study - results

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
According to this link DRN 026 (Diet and weight loss) the study was completed in 2005 & published.

The Research Dept have given me the link, though I cannot get beyond the Abstract as I am not a health professional. I could pay for it, but seeing the abstract, I don't think I'll bother.

Abstract

Objective
This study sought to examine the effects of a 3-month programme of dietary advice to restrict carbohydrate intake compared with reduced-portion, low-fat advice in obese subjects with poorly controlled Type 2 diabetes.

Research design and methods
One hundred and two patients with Type 2 diabetes were recruited across three centres and randomly allocated to receive group education and individual dietary advice. Weight, glycaemic control, lipids and blood pressure were assessed at baseline and 3 months. Dietary quality was assessed at the end of study.

Results
Weight loss was greater in the low-carbohydrate (LC) group (−3.55 ± 0.63, mean ± sem) vs. −0.92 ± 0.40 kg, P = 0.001) and cholesterol : high-density lipoprotein (HDL) ratio improved (−0.48 ± 0.11 vs. −0.10 ± 0.10, P = 0.01). However, relative saturated fat intake was greater (13.9 ± 0.71 vs. 11.0 ± 0.47% of dietary intake, P < 0.001), although absolute intakes were moderate.

Conclusions
Carbohydrate restriction was an effective method of achieving short-term weight loss compared with standard advice, but this was at the expense of an increase in relative saturated fat intake.

That Exeter study has been referred to on the forum for years as something significant & worth waiting for. It's been published for 5 years & tells us little.

jassi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
IanD said:
According to this link DRN 026 (Diet and weight loss) the study was completed in 2005 & published.

The Research Dept have given me the link, though I cannot get beyond the Abstract as I am not a health professional. I could pay for it, but seeing the abstract, I don't think I'll bother.

Abstract

Objective
This study sought to examine the effects of a 3-month programme of dietary advice to restrict carbohydrate intake compared with reduced-portion, low-fat advice in obese subjects with poorly controlled Type 2 diabetes.

Research design and methods
One hundred and two patients with Type 2 diabetes were recruited across three centres and randomly allocated to receive group education and individual dietary advice. Weight, glycaemic control, lipids and blood pressure were assessed at baseline and 3 months. Dietary quality was assessed at the end of study.

Results
Weight loss was greater in the low-carbohydrate (LC) group (−3.55 ± 0.63, mean ± sem) vs. −0.92 ± 0.40 kg, P = 0.001) and cholesterol : high-density lipoprotein (HDL) ratio improved (−0.48 ± 0.11 vs. −0.10 ± 0.10, P = 0.01). However, relative saturated fat intake was greater (13.9 ± 0.71 vs. 11.0 ± 0.47% of dietary intake, P < 0.001), although absolute intakes were moderate.

Conclusions
Carbohydrate restriction was an effective method of achieving short-term weight loss compared with standard advice, but this was at the expense of an increase in relative saturated fat intake.

That Exeter study has been referred to on the forum for years as something significant & worth waiting for. It's been published for 5 years & tells us little.

I'm unclear what relevance this particular statistic has if the total saturated fat intake is moderate.

ally5555

Hi

I will ring them soon but this week aot of people will be on leave!

I think there is a second study because the last time I spoke to the Dietitian which was a year or so ago they were analysing data - I cannot recall this initial study in the conversation. What we discussed were the initial results - showed faster wt loss in the low carbers to begin with but not statistical difference in any other parameters in either group! ( that included cholesterol, HBA1c etc)

Allyx

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have enquired further:
Was there any follow up? Did the practice at Exeter change to a low carb recommendation, with the health of "obese subjects with poorly controlled Type 2 diabetes" improving & providing the long term evidence of the benefits of low carb?

The reply:
Thank you again for your message. We have in fact completed a 2 year trial of low carbohydrate versus healthy eating diets so hopefully the results will help inform you.

ally5555

Ian - I will follow it up next week - I was under the impression that they were using low carb versus a calorie deficit in the control group.

Ally

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
ally5555 said:
Ian - I will follow it up next week - I was under the impression that they were using low carb versus a calorie deficit in the control group.

Ally

Anything further to say, Ally :?: