Almond Flour

ceemage

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Looking for this for as an ingredient for a low-carb bread.
Are there any "normal" shops that stock this, or do we need to look to mail order.
(We tried all the local supermarkets, even the "posh" ones <grin>.)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Holland & Barrett do 'Almond Flurry', £9.99 for 500 gms.. Not as finely ground as almond flour,but cheaper.
If you have a health food store nearby they will probably stock it. My local Sainsburys sell Sukrin Almond Flour, but it costs £5.50 for 250 gms. They also do their own organic almond flour which is a bit cheaper:

Screenshot 2018-09-22 at 17.19.02.png

Last edited:
Reactions: lorraine95

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use 2 types. Ground almonds and Real Food Source super fine which I got from Amazon.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ground almonds do the same job and are much cheaper. Whitworths is usually 3 x 150g bags for £3 in Asda. All of the supermarkets do their own brands.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
i use ground almonds from lidl, much cheaper and never had a problem

Reactions: OrsonKartt

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As already mentioned most supermarkets have ground almonds for a fairly reasonable price. Health food stores stock larger packs but tend to be a bit more expensive, I did find excellent value at a store called Grapetree, I think they may be nationwide, if not they do sell via their website, grapetree.co.uk

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ground almonds do the same job and are much cheaper. Whitworths is usually 3 x 150g bags for £3 in Asda. All of the supermarkets do their own brands.
Also regularly available from Morrisons at this price. I generally use this now or Ocado/Waitrose own brands - whichever is cheapest. I've always used ground almonds both for bread and low carb muffins, cakes, etc. They work just as well and are definitely much easier on the pocket.

Robbity

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have at last got around to mixing up this month's bread recipe - I think that I will soon have to half the amounts as it is becoming quite a large amount of bread. Either that or only making it once every two months.
I use a mixture of seeds which I got from Lidl, but they have not had it for some weeks now and I just used up my last bag of it - perhaps I will ask them about it. It is very useful for all sorts of things. I added in a bag of ground almonds.
I was going to continue with the Coconut flour, but I think that I will save that for nearer to Christmas, as it was a bit cake like.

set-in-stone

Saw some in my local Pound shop. 140gm packs. I bought 2 packs to try. Not used them yet, so cannot give feedback.
My last one was a 1kg bag I bought from Amazon. £8.99 or so. Lasted ages - other half prefers the coconut bread from diet doctor

Reactions: Prem51

Aargh!_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Looking for this for as an ingredient for a low-carb bread.
Are there any "normal" shops that stock this, or do we need to look to mail order.
(We tried all the local supermarkets, even the "posh" ones <grin>.)
Amazon but ground almonds which you can usually buy cheaper. Ground Almonds are usually smaller quantities but can work out cheaper. I usually buy 1kg of Almond flour, which doesn't quite last one month, from Amazon.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I made some cheese scones with ground almonds they was yummy.... usually buy ground almonds from Asda

Aargh!_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Gutted, waiting for confirmation of a nut allergy ! I've eaten nuts over many years, but doing keto diet more recently have been using almond flour with great success and now it seems after a reaction of swelling face, and lips with my whole upper body becoming red and mottled the GP has said I've had a moderate reaction. It wasn't immeadiately after eating my almond flour roll.

I'd also had almond butter on a cottage cheese pancake made that morning for my breakfast. I'm guessing it's maybe an overload of almond but almond flour was a godsend. Coconut flour has a taste that isn't great for many things - does anyone have any alternative low carb flour suggestions please, while I wait for my appt. on the 17th of April 2019. clearly outside the NHS 18 wk pathway. In fact from the day I received the appt. 21wks and 2days. aargh !