Need advice.

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone!

I need some advice, I’m a type one diabetic and 9 weeks pregnant and was doing well with controlling my glucose levels at first, but unfortunately midwife didn’t seem to think otherwise. I feel like I’m being forced to completely change my diet and I’m struggling as I’m unemployed and have not much money, I’m struggling and also trying to go by what doctors and midwife says but it’s causing me to stress more so now I’m stress eating...
I must be doing something right even though my diet hasn’t changed because within a few months my hba1c went from being 69 to 66, I know it’s not a big change but since finding out i was pregnant I have been more strict on how I do things.

I really need help as I feel like I’m being forced to change everything and it’s making me feel depressed and I don’t want to go back into that state.

If anyone can help I’d be so grateful, thank you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Moosh97 Out of interest what is your mid wife asking you to do ?

I have to admit mine did nothing at all when i was pregnant, so perhaps coming from the other side of the fence it's good she's being proactive with you and trying to help.

Don't feel depressed though, pregnancy is only such a short time and will be over soon, as long as they have your best interests at heart then go with the flow as much as you can, doing what's best for you and baby is the priority :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
First take a deep breath. Now accept that lots of diabetic women with less than "perfect" a1c values get pregnant and have healthy babies.
Then reflect on the fact that the medics are assessing overall risk, and there is a risk to the baby with higher levels.
Tell your team how you feel and a compromise can most likely be found.

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She wants me to be only a high fibre diet but being part of such a big family with also special needed brother and sister it’s hard to make change to dinners as it will affect them, I try to eat a high fibre breakfast and lunch but I’ve tried explaining this to her and she just doesn’t seem to understand what I’m saying, I’m on a low income so can also buy certain foods according to how much money and when I get money.

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She did inform me that she knew people who had perfect hba1c but the child was still born with problems so it does make me think that in a way I could do everything right and something still be wrong with my unborn child, but doesn’t mean I’m just going to do what I want but I just want this pregnancy to feel less stressful and I just want to look forward to this pregnancy but I’m not really enjoying it so far

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Could you ask her why she thinks high fibre will improve a1c?

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that eating high fibre foods was slow realising carbs and was better for me

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
They release slower, but are still carbs so if your insulin is not matching then your levels will still be higher.

What do you like/want to eat? How does it differ from what the nurse suggests?

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to eat a lot of different things I’m not really a fussy eater it’s just hard when I have no income so I can’t actually afford buying meals for myself I have to just eat what’s in the house, I’m trying to not eat so much carbs during my pregnancy but it’s hard because when I’m getting stressed out or just not having a good day I end up eating more carbs. I’m currently seeing my midwife and a doctor every week or so and they are constantly adjusting my insulin at the moment