Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is a dedicated section of the forum for those who fast, it is down the bottom of the forum list under 'Food and Nutrition'. Lots of peoople find intermittent fasting to be of benefit to their health.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Daily. No breakfast. Finish eating by 6.30pm start again between 12 and 1pm. Some days just dinner.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daily, no breakfast just black coffee. Last food of the day by circa 19:30Hrs. Occasional days of nothing but water and coffee.

Reactions: britishpub

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I assume fasting is more atune to how our ancestors lived thousands of years ago when food was scarce, it was something we adapted too and how we evolved. I can imagine humans then where naturally healthier than now. We would wake up early, without eating, go on the hunt for food, and eat later in the day, tribes still do that to this day. There are a plethora of health benefits to it as well. Have a good read up.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a different eating pattern. I do have breakfast and lunch/dinner and finish eating by 1pm 4/5 days a week. The rest of the week it is 3 meals a day. It works really well for me.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One meal a day most days (usually eveing meal) with occasional extended three/four day water only fasts (usually beginning on a Friday evening)

Reactions: Terrytiddy

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just wonder how many of u do intermittent fasting?
I have tried intermittent fasting - skipping breakfast, eating lunch at 1pm and dinner at 7pm. It actually increased my HbA1c so my advice is to test regularly and see what is happening to your BS during the fasting time. If I don't eat breakfast my BS continues to rise until I eat. It was very good for weight loss though.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Apparently your bs will go up if you still got excess sugar in liver which is pushing into the blood stream, apparently its perfectly natraul and it dose drop so dont panic (like i did when i first started)

Mine went upto 14mmol today and within half an hour it dropped to 11 and within 2 6.5mmol

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do the 16 hour intermittent fast (no food after dinner until next lunch the next day) about 3 days in a row, (16/8) then about 2 days of nonfasting (eating breakfast) before starting again.

Initially I was doing the 16 hour intermittent fast consecutive days but found after about 3 days of 16/8 hours my GERD (gastro esophagal reflux disease) started to begin to flare up again with the beginning of acid reflux symptoms. I know that some people find intermittent fasting helps their reflux but too many consecutive days of intermittent fasting aggravate mine. My GERD is caused by a large hiatial hernia (result of 2 pregnancies) so low carb eating (unfortunately) doesn't improve it. I just try to manage it. My GERD disease is fairly bad, although there is some debate among my GIs whether I have Barrett's esophagus (cellular changes in the esophagus that raise the risk of esophagal cancer.) I'm been able to come off a protein pump medication (concerns about increased risk of Alzheimer's (mom with it & 2 grandparents) by sleeping on an elevated wedge. (I don't take any meds at all for anything currently.)

I don't do extended fasts for this reason as well (concern about aggravating the GERD).

However, I do find intermittent fasting quite helpful in both managing my blood sugar and weight loss. I wish I was able to do it every day but feel this compromise works for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: britishpub

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty much every day 16/8 pattern. except days when I have to get up and go to work early (530) which is not often as I am mostly retired. Those days I eat breakfast or I am non functional. Also, I have found the odd 24 hr fast helpful with weight loss stalls or after an indulgent day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only eat breakfast at weekends, and when I do, I rarely eat lunch. All very informal and fluid, but it works out at around 2 meals a day, usually in an 8 hour or 11 hour window. Mainly because I can't stand endlessly phaffing with food and snacks and so on. I would rather eat a good sized amount, enjoy, feel satisfied, and then forget all about food for hours, before doing the same again.

Always felt like that. The whole 3 meals a day plus snacks, and you MUST eat breakfast thinking did my head in!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Every night, usually between 11pm and 7am ;);)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to OMAD most work days, M-F (doesn't always work :banghead:) and eat "normally" at weekends.

The main benefit, aside from the obvious health benefits is not thinking about food all the time, which used to take up huge portions of my day. Nowadays food, and deciding what to eat barely registers in my head.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat when I get up and again in the evening, which can mean over 12 hours during daylight when I don't eat.
I think that this is the reverse of the usual fasting period which includes the time asleep.
It seems to give lower PP BG levels but has apparently reduced my insulin resistance and is changing my body composition - moving fat around and hardening muscles.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just wonder how many of u do intermittent fasting?
What days?
And for how long?

I also low carb and don't eat breakfast so fasting from 7pm to 1pm next day daily. I think it works very well to check basal insulin dose is correct. I want to try longer fasting.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat breakfast and usually eat lunch around 1.00 to 2.00. Evening meal around 6.00-6.30 an sometimes OMAD. Wouldn't say it does much for bg control but is obviously a good weight loss/control tool. Does mean I drink an enormous amount of tea.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat breakfast and usually eat lunch around 1.00 to 2.00. Evening meal around 6.00-6.30 an sometimes OMAD. Wouldn't say it does much for bg control but is obviously a good weight loss/control tool. Does mean I drink an enormous amount of tea.

What is OMAD?