Type 2 Foods that lower sugars

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any foods to lower blood sugars? I know about protein, and water and walking. I’ve bought some unsalted peanuts. But I love snacks so anything snacky that won’t put my sugars up to much? They are already in the 12’s

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Some of my low carb/sugar snacks:
Cold meats or chicken.
Celery sticks filled with crunchy peanut butter. You can also do the same with a crispy lettuce leaf.
Low carb pate.
Prawn cocktail.
Cheese.
Low carb yoghurt with berries (rasps or strawberries)
Smoked salmon.
A no sugar jelly with fruit in it topped with double cream.
A few slices of a nice apple.
To add a bit of zing to some of the above you can add pickled gherkin or onions

Edit - Just had some Tesco sweet chilli chicken breast slices with olives stuffed with garlic. Very nice too!

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avoid anything with more than minimal carbs. I don’t snack much anymore now I’m low carb high fat but if I do it’s Brazil or macadamia nuts, extra thick double cream with cream cheese and a sprinkle of sweetener (tastes like the top of a cheesecake), cold meats, maybe a few berries, very dark chocolate, cheese, pickled things. I don’t like them but pork scratching or olives.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any foods to lower blood sugars? I know about protein, and water and walking. I’ve bought some unsalted peanuts. But I love snacks so anything snacky that won’t put my sugars up to much? They are already in the 12’s

Hi,

What medications are you prescribed? Your profile suggests you take insulin & metformin.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are no foods that lower blood sugars. There are however lots of foods that don't make them go up, or not by much.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The trouble with peanuts and cashew nuts, for me, is that they are really hard to put down. I have little control with them whereas walnuts and almonds (lower in carbs) do not have me staring at the bottom of the empty packet.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love snacks
Me too! But now that I test regularly, I realise that if I don't leave at least 4 hours between food, even snacks, it means that just as my bg is going down after my last meal I'm boosting it up again. Not good! But I also find that now I eat fewer carbs and more fat / protein I just don't get as hungry, so as long as I'm occupied I just forget about snacks. Indeed if I'm out of the house I sometimes even forget about meals, not that I recommend that, just saying! Sometimes if I do hanker for a snack, a drink suffices to fill the gap.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don’t. I forgot to update account

Thanks for confirming that. It would be very helpful if you could update your details, so preevent folks getting confused or continually asking you about it.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bitter melon, I have a T2D friend (in remission) who swears it helped lower his blood sugars over time, I have no experience of it but thought I'd drop it in as a passing thought....

Reactions: mickellwife

suejat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
don't know of any foods that LOWER sugar. I make low carb cupcakes-- quick to make, and delicious-- eggs, almond flour, baking soda and either lemon or a mandarin orange, sweetened with erythritol----yum. I also eat a portion of nuts (almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts) each day --.

TrevA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aldi sell small packets of mixed nuts and seeds - next to the checkouts. 25g 149cal and 5g of carbs - 29p a pack.

Spiderjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who live on their phones.
Discourteous drivers
Stray apostrophes!
Not technically a snack, but I've found Green Tea (with another flavour involved!) lowers my blood sugar. I try and make it a "me" moment by sitting somewhere quiet and reading while I drink it. Also if my BS isn't as low as I'd like at bedtime, I have a cinnamon tablet. I'm wary of recommending this as I don't think it's an official fix but it seems to work for me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What’s the digital diabetes program please ?

Hi there, GingerGoddess - That sounds like abit of a mish-mash of titles or terms. The parent company for this site is called Digital Diabetes Media. We have a number of programmes around from understanding and dealing with hypos, through to the Low Carb Programme (LCP), which is an educational programme for T2s, around diety and T2 mana gement.

The LCP is available either on a personal basis, or it can be prescribed by an individual's doctor, on prescription.

If you explain the context you meant, perhaps I can help you further. You might get more replies is this was a thread of your own. If you'd like your own thread for it, just let me know and I can move it for you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bossy people
I like low carb coconut macaroons dipped in no added sugar chocolate.On u tube is a video instruction just search ' low carb coconut macaroons' very easy.

Reactions: Speedbird

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Okra lowers blood sugar.. fennel seeds too... I deep-fry okra dipped in egg and finely grated Parmesan...