Need motivation!!!

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m 39 and been type 2 for 5 years. But I need motivation. I keep forgetting my metformin so my sugars are 15. I know I could lose limbs and could die but I just can’t seem to get a grip of this. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to eat on this low carb diet but I want to lower it and take my medication. I’m suffering depression and anxiety already so I can’t help but comfort eat and the wrong stuff. Please don’t be nasty to me as I know I need to do this. I just need some help to get me going

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m 39 and been type 2 for 5 years. But I need motivation. I keep forgetting my metformin so my sugars are 15. I know I could lose limbs and could die but I just can’t seem to get a grip of this. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to eat on this low carb diet but I want to lower it and take my medication. I’m suffering depression and anxiety already so I can’t help but comfort eat and the wrong stuff. Please don’t be nasty to me as I know I need to do this. I just need some help to get me going

Hi Mickellwife - Diakat has suggested some decent reading there. As far as your Metformin is concerned, why not put a repeating alert into your phone?

In terms sof what you should eat, that'll depend, to an extent, on what you like to eat. My version of low carb could be very different from yours or anyone else's really.

On this web link there's a great summary of low carb in 60 seconds.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

If you like to do things in a structured way, this site offers a Low Carb education programme. There is a fee involved to sign up (about £30 for a lifetime membership), but these days your doctor can actually prescribe it for you, saving you the cash.

What sort of things do you like to eat?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think you should choose your battles. You may need to see your doctor about treatment options for your mental health problems first. I think that carrying around the black dog of depression just makes every problem that much harder to cope with. Your motivation is your need for better health all round for you and for the the little chapess in the baby walker in your avatar.
Let's get right back to basics with a clear slate. Before I go, there are people that report an improvement in mental health once blood glucose levels come down and stabilise so there's everything to play for here.

Ask as many questions as you like, 'No job too small' as they say.
Best wishes.

Reactions: BloodThirsty

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Do you keep a food diary? I found having to test two hours after eating every time was also a great way to stop snacking. Combined it helps to work out which foods are troublesome for you. Once you have started to get that under your belt decide where you want to be by Christmas, set a target for your bg levels and once you have hit it for an entire day allow yourself a low carb 'treat' , berries and extra thick cream is mine or two squares of 85% chocolate. Perhaps then you may decide that you want to raise money for a local playgroup/charity of choice. Plan as far ahead as you can 'see', but gradually I found that I regained confidence.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its a bit of a vicious one isn't it? If you ate better and took your pills you'd feel better mentally too but that is easier said than done. You've admitted you need help loud and clear and that is only brave and not a thing to feel guilt or shame about.
You have choices though which you could list out and hopefully talk through with someone you trust who isn't going to nag you:
1) carry on - it is what you are used to and probably feels safe but has obvious downsides not least of which is that you are feeling bad and not in control of your own life.
2) Ask for some help with the mental health issues -perhaps you already have but you owe it to yourself to keep fighting to feel better if things aren't working well for you.
3) Consider making 1 change in your lifestyle that you try for 1 day or 3 or a week e/g/ don't heap too much pressure on by making any long term commitment to being perfect! But stick to the promise you make yourself even if it seems a really small achievement. Giving up one of those comfort foods maybe? Perhaps you are telling yourself they are comforting but it seems to me that they are not making you feel much better anyway.
Perhaps you could walk in fresh air or dance or swim once a week. That could make you feel better.

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
2 days ago, I started taking my metformin again. I’m on fluoxetine already. I just hope I can bring my sugars down. I’m now on nimble bread and having more fruit/veg. My sugars were 12 a little bit earlier so let’s hoping I can do this

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of foods do you like eating? Lets see if we can find something low carb or suggest some alternatives.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crisps, and chocolate are my big things
Not especially helpful on either weight loss or blood sugar control.. I was thinking more along the lines of eggs and bacon or steaks... 85% dark chocolate isn't too dreadful I recently discovered the Aldi ones with 4.6g of carb per 25g bar not bad tasting either.

Reactions: mickellwife

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Have you tried making your own crisps from different veg? Preferably those with fewer carbs than potatoes. Try some high percentage chocolate - 85% or more, most supermarkets have some. The important thing is to test after eating, I could not eat bread of any kind nor most fruit. The choice was relatively simple, eat bread/potato/fruit or risk the complications of diabetes. Once that was understood the choice is simple and the motivation/determination to keep going relatively easy. If you focus on the carbohydrate content of the food you are eating, not the calories, then the weight will start to drop.

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s hard as my sugar has stayed at 12 all night and still was at fasting this morning. I know I’m only on day 3 of taking pills but I’m so scared. I just want them to go down even if just a little

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried making your own crisps from different veg? Preferably those with fewer carbs than potatoes. Try some high percentage chocolate - 85% or more, most supermarkets have some. The important thing is to test after eating, I could not eat bread of any kind nor most fruit. The choice was relatively simple, eat bread/potato/fruit or risk the complications of diabetes. Once that was understood the choice is simple and the motivation/determination to keep going relatively easy. If you focus on the carbohydrate content of the food you are eating, not the calories, then the weight will start to drop.
No I haven’t but I’m willing to give it a go

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had boiled eggs, ham, cheese, tomatoes and cucumber and my sugar was still 10 2 hours after.

Reactions: Serena51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Bringing it down slowly is considered better as it helps protect against false hypo feelings. You'll get there. Fingers crossed for 8s then 6s and lower. It will happen.

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. I went for a 10 min power walk and got back and my sugar was higher

Reactions: Serena51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. I went for a 10 min power walk and got back and my sugar was higher
Carrots are relatively high carb.. and physical exertion can lead to higher blood sugar levels. A longer less intense walk may have the opposite effect but we are all a bit individual so I'm afraid you may need to experiment a bit to see what's best for you. The good thing is you are monitoring your blood sugars so can see what various food types and exercise is doing which is really great.