What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning all.

6.4 for me this morning.

As i'm new to the forum part of the website please excuse me if my question lie's in a thread somewhere else.

In the couple of days i've been posting here i've come to notice a few people posting morning readings that are quite low but no mention of hypo feelings.

So, that leads me to the question...at what point do you start to get the 'hypo' feelings? For me, without fail, it is always as i get to 4.5. In fact only yesterday i was noticing the 'feelings' i usually get and without fail my reading was 4.4. I've been Type 1 for 14 years now and i have always been sensitive to low levels. I know at some point in the future this could change. Has your sensitivity changed the longer you've had diabetes?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Nick
Hi Nick, I've had type 1 for 51 years and due to tight control I have no hypo awareness, tried running higher to recover awareness but to no avail, my consultant said that due to the length of time I've had diabetes and the good control I won't get awareness back.

Reactions: SueJB and SaskiaKC

n1ck

Hi Nick, I've had type 1 for 51 years and due to tight control I have no hypo awareness, tried running higher to recover awareness but to no avail, my consultant said that due to the length of time I've had diabetes and the good control I won't get awareness back.
Hi Phil, I wonder sometimes with my own awareness is partly related with my exercise and has been an ongoing conversation with my consultant. In the early days i was up and down like a yo-yo trying to get the balance with how much i injected with what i ate and combined with the exercise i did on that day and previous days. It is still something i'm fine tuning to this day and think because of the ups and downs i'm aware when it's down if that makes sense. So, are you saying you have no awareness? At what level do you realise you are low? Or are you saying because it's under tight control it never gets a chance to go low?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, everyone where it's morning! I'm just heading to bed. Worried about my cat again. I know I need to get some sleep, but ... :(
I had my cat for 20 years saskia i swear she thought she was a dog if anyone knocked she would run to the front door i hope your cat is ok

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all.

6.4 for me this morning.

As i'm new to the forum part of the website please excuse me if my question lie's in a thread somewhere else.

In the couple of days i've been posting here i've come to notice a few people posting morning readings that are quite low but no mention of hypo feelings.

So, that leads me to the question...at what point do you start to get the 'hypo' feelings? For me, without fail, it is always as i get to 4.5. In fact only yesterday i was noticing the 'feelings' i usually get and without fail my reading was 4.4. I've been Type 1 for 14 years now and i have always been sensitive to low levels. I know at some point in the future this could change. Has your sensitivity changed the longer you've had diabetes?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Nick
I feel hypo when im in the low to middle 4s

Reactions: ziggy_w

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Phil, I wonder sometimes with my own awareness is partly related with my exercise and has been an ongoing conversation with my consultant. In the early days i was up and down like a yo-yo trying to get the balance with how much i injected with what i ate and combined with the exercise i did on that day and previous days. It is still something i'm fine tuning to this day and think because of the ups and downs i'm aware when it's down if that makes sense. So, are you saying you have no awareness? At what level do you realise you are low? Or are you saying because it's under tight control it never gets a chance to go low?
I can be as low as 1.9 and feel and function normally or assume I'm normal, my partner can recognize when I'm low and she's saved me on numerous occasions, the other day the cat was looking at me and meowing, I felt fine but my blood glucose was 1.9, my partner will say that I'm low but I will deny it, if I lived alone I wouldn't be here.

n1ck

I can be as low as 1.9 and feel and function normally or assume I'm normal, my partner can recognize when I'm low and she's saved me on numerous occasions, the other day the cat was looking at me and meowing, I felt fine but my blood glucose was 1.9, my partner will say that I'm low but I will deny it, if I lived alone I wouldn't be here.
I've only had one low reading like yours...exactly 1.9 however for me leading up to that i was laughing uncontrollably and had a 'waxy' feel to my skin according to my partner at that time. That was in the early days and one of the many lessons i learnt such as 'don't inject straight after a hot bath!.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Hello - 6.4 today, but a couple of higher readings since then as my body works out what to do with the birthday weekend excesses.
As a small amount of offsetting I ran 14 miles on Saturday as part of my training for a 15 mile race I'm doing soon. Feeling it in the legs still today, but pleased I can manage to cover the distance. Couldn't have in April pre-diagnosis.
It's fun responding to the incredulity of others: "surely you must need some carbs inside you before you go out and run a half marathon? Where do you get your energy from?" I didn't feel I wanted to get into another long conversation about nutrition so I just replied "photosynthesis".

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. If I make it through the day without falling asleep at my desk it will be a miracle. Very restless night - woke up sweating, woke up cold, lay awake, dozed off, woke up (repeat). Hope I’m not next in line for the lurgy. All in all FBG of 5.1 is not too bad.

@david1968 are you a Gooner too? There seem to be quite a few of us on here (don’t tell @ianpspurs )

Me? A Gooner?!? Nope. Fraid not. I'm a Bantam. Not a very happy one at the moment either. Third from bottom in League One :arghh:

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 at 7.10 am. Bedtime reading (second day of fast) was 5.9 at 10.55 pm.

Last week off work for me - nurses very happy with healing of wound from op, so back to the coalface next Monday. New low weight this morning as well so feeling positive.

Hope everybody's having a good day.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning...a dammed good sleep last night which I needed...I spent much of yesterday doing sweet FA...then later had a huge housework fest including floors and all...came downstairs this morning...hardly recognised the place...woke to a 5.4
Love the idea of sweet FA in terms of a low carb diet

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Well no amount of coughing stopped the DN’s determination to flu jab my arm so anybody’s guess what it may or may not do to my Bg readings. She did also try to take blood to send off for a HBA1C test - when I candidly asked if 3 weeks since my last one was really long enough to see a difference she was a)not amused and b)a little embarrassed. Good job one of us had our coffee this morning!
Please let us know over the next few days. I'm constantly being offered these things but the invites usualy come when Im already under the influence of one bug or another..Fingers crossed for you..

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was 5.7 this morning. I had a bad bout of leg cramps this morning, used a lot of magnesium spray. It did not stop for a while, usually the spray stops it almost immediately.

(I also use pink Himalayan sea salt) and take a magnesium supplement and drink an electrolyte replacement fluid (without sugar). I try to eat lots of vegs (low carb of course) and I eat cheese. I've always had tendency to leg cramps but haven't had any for a while (since I started the magnesium spray & supplements). My doctor just checked my potassium and sodium levels (they are fine). They only think is to keep my water consumption up. I'm considering increasing my carbs slightly as well (haven't been logging them lately). Any other ideas?

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, everyone. My cat is fine this morning. She just turned 14 and has suddenly started having problems with constipation so we went to the vet last Tuesday and got some medicine. Three days normal, then two days of her not "going" this weekend had me worried, but this morning she went and seems to feel fine (she felt fine all weekend but I worried, and unfortunately you can't just give a cat prune juice). I do really appreciate y'all's good wishes for her.

My FBG this morning was 6.2.

I am glad to know now what a Gooner is. :) I saw Fever Pitch years ago and really liked it, but I've forgotten if they said that.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was 5.7 this morning. I had a bad bout of leg cramps this morning, used a lot of magnesium spray. It did not stop for a while, usually the spray stops it almost immediately.

(I also use pink Himalayan sea salt) and take a magnesium supplement and drink an electrolyte replacement fluid (without sugar). I try to eat lots of vegs (low carb of course) and I eat cheese. I've always had tendency to leg cramps but haven't had any for a while (since I started the magnesium spray & supplements). My doctor just checked my potassium and sodium levels (they are fine). They only think is to keep my water consumption up. I'm considering increasing my carbs slightly as well (haven't been logging them lately). Any other ideas?
For me dehydration seems to be involved - I had them frequently in the hot summer but - hardly dare say it - they have been much better in the last few months. I was taking magnesium and spraying plus the salt. Having said this I also ch@nged my magnesium supplement at that time to one that seems to be better absorbed - magnesium bisglycinate - and these seem to have worked along with better hydration. I no longer need to use the spray. I do make sure I drink as much water as possible and plenty of salt alongside the Magnesium bisglycinate. Hope this helps. I feel for you they are so painful good luck.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hi all blood sugars tonight are 9.3 my sugars have been all over the place and I’m wondering if it’s from a combo of being sick and my body adjusting to having less levemir I don’t know what’s going on with my chest but it’s seems quite familiar to a while back where I had a hacking cough and coughing fits and the GP found a bug living in the bottom of my lung but hopefully I will find out tommorow also tomorrow I have to put a new freestyle libre sensor on for the first time with no help so slightly nervous about that anyway sleep well all I’m going to read my book and go to sleep