Newly diagnosed on Friday, little to no info from Doctor, is that normal?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
@IronLioness

Hello IronLioness and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask questions if you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Daisy, thank you for this information! It's really helpful because to be honest, my first question which continues is if I should be testing my blood sugar levels - over the past few days I've read so much on people checking their levels before and after food etc but my doctor never at all addressed it, I wondered if it's something he missed or should have said! Very odd. I've stopped eating carbs unless part of the natural food source and I'm only eating those low in carbs, but I think I need to see the diabetic nurse to get a blood sugar monitor or the like. My Dad tested me using his kit - the finger prick electronic reader and this morning it showed 8.2, but I don't know what that means if its super high or low. I'll investigate A few months ago we did the same and it was in the 5s, so it seems that whatever I've been doing in the past few months has pushed it way up the line. I think I do need that monitor, though, for education and to keep myself in check. Thank you again, the information is much appreciated

Reactions: Serena51

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Daisy, thank you for this information! It's really helpful because to be honest, my first question which continues is if I should be testing my blood sugar levels - over the past few days I've read so much on people checking their levels before and after food etc but my doctor never at all addressed it, I wondered if it's something he missed or should have said! Very odd. I've stopped eating carbs unless part of the natural food source and I'm only eating those low in carbs, but I think I need to see the diabetic nurse to get a blood sugar monitor or the like. My Dad tested me using his kit - the finger prick electronic reader and this morning it showed 8.2, but I don't know what that means if its super high or low. I'll investigate A few months ago we did the same and it was in the 5s, so it seems that whatever I've been doing in the past few months has pushed it way up the line. I think I do need that monitor, though, for education and to keep myself in check. Thank you again, the information is much appreciated

Kinda depends exactly when you tested, - check this out!
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Welcome to the forum @IronLioness. It does sound as if you are T2 if your gp says you can 'reverse' it by reducing weight.
Your blood glucose isn't too high. I was 49 at diagnosis, and did lower it to 44 by my 3 month retest by losing weight.
That might be more difficult if you are into lifting weights, though from what I read on here High Intensity Training can also reduce bg levels.
But reducing your sugar and starchy carbohydrate intake is going to have more effect in reducing your bg levels.

Thanks @Prem51 I appreciate your reply. I'm still in knowledge seeking mode and this is really helpful to me. It's really been a smack in the face to sort my lifestyle out, but morseo, the consistency and doing it right. I'm determined to do whatever needed to get back into range, the thought of the complications I've seen my Dad get really scares the heck out of me. Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated and I'm taking on board all the information.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Kinda depends exactly when you tested, - check this out!
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Thanks @urbanracer v helpful to know this! I think I really need to get my hands on a testing kit, to keep it consistent rather than a scatter approach. I tested this morning just before breakfast so I guess that falls in the 'fasting' category, maybe?! It would be good to know what my count is so I can self monitor.. If I leave it up to the doctor suggestion of just diet and exercise and 'come back in 3mths' I'll be in a total pickle!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many of us self test, so we aren’t working ‘blind’ between lab blood tests. You’d be very lucky if you got testing kit on prescription.
Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Edit to add that the Tee2 strips appear to be out of stock at the moment, but if you buy the SD Code Free the strips work out cheaper anyway if you use the discount codes above.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For more reading click the home tab at the top right of this page and the host site hasnpages and pages of information to digest

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I'd really appreciate your advice or just general experiences. I had a random blood test for food poisoning turns out my blood results were 48, the diabetic diagnosis is 47 apparently. But my Doc was super quick on the phone - he just said I'd get invited to attend an info course and to see the nurse in 3 months for another check up and blood test. He says he thinks it's my weight pushing me over the limit, and if I reduce that drastically in the next 3 months, it's entirely possible I can reverse the diagnosis. Is that true?? I've read varying articles...

I'm 40, yes super overweight but oddly LOVE the gym - I lift weights and I lift heavy. It seems the love of food is the BIG downfall! :banghead:

My Dad is type 2 and 75yrs old but he had a hell of a time with his diabetes - he lost nerve endings, half a foot to gangrene and various other side effects. This diagnosis scares the sh*t out of me ... Any advice of if this can be reversed would be much appreciated, thanks all.

I’ve reversed mine so can you!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
My doctor explained that it can be reversed. To the point where you don’t actually have it anymore. Other than the fact you are more at risk if it coming back you physically do not have diabetes anymore.

Having said that I know diddlysquat about diabetes. Think I’ve figured something it then it blows up and confuses me again. This usually happens daily.

So I’m probably wrong but it’s what my doctor told me. She is a diabetic doctor.
@Cana that's what my doctor said too! Although, I'm really not sure if he meant gone totally or just 'managed', as some other folks gave said?! It was *the* most bizarre conversation I've had, and sadly a very important topic. I got off the phone with actually no idea on actual facts, doh!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Sadly, once diagnosed, you're stuck with it. I have a non-diabetic bloodglucose reading, but that's because I don't eat more than 20 grams of carbs a day. That's what works for me though. For you it could be 40, or 80, maybe 100 grams? Could be anything! Getting a meter will make life, and figuring such things out, much easier for you! Just check before eating, and 2 hours after. if you didn't go up more than 2 mmol/l, that meal was perfect for you and can be repeated. Otherwise, it needs tinkering or tossing. Anyway, technically speaking I'm in remission. No meds, normal bloodglucose levels. I don't have complications, and even if I get a sinusinfection, my bloods don't usually hit the double digits, so I'm calling it good. BUT. If I up my carbs, back up my bloodglucose goes, as I am, and remain, a T2 diabetic: my body cannot process carbs properly. Basically this means that you can do loads and loads to keep your bloodsugars in check, and remain complication-free, maybe even medication free (I'm off the meds, including statins), and just, you know... Have control of this. You are NOT doomed into losing nerve sensation, you're not going to lose kidneyfunction or toes, eyesight isn't going anywhere either. *If* you tackle this, and it sounds like you want to, you could be living with this and be just fine. Losing weight will reduce some insulin resistance, but it's a bit of a chicken-egg debate, what comes first.... As a T2 you likely make loads of insulin which your body can't use properly, but it does store fat. So whether the fat was there first, or the insulin resistance...? Who knows eh. But if you do drop the carbs, your weight will go down too, more often than not. If you're into sports, upping proteine and fats will help to keep your energylevels up. (Fats are safe; Proteine can influence bloodsugars, but nowhere near as dramatically as carbs do). Just keep in mind it's all carbs you have trouble digesting: white and brown. So brown bread, rice, wholegrain pasta and the like... They won't do any favors either. Fruits like banana, will probably spike you. So take your time to figure this out, as complications and the like don't crop up overnight, you have a few weeks or months or whatever to get a handle on this. Just learn about the condition what you can, ask as many questions as you like and pick out the answers that resonate with you, figure out what works for YOU. It's different for everybody. Everyones levels of insulin resistence, insulin response and liver dumps are different, so there's no cut and dry answer for all T2's. Could be diet change and metformine, could be gliclazide and met, insulin, or diet only... And then, which diet? Low carb high fat, keto with or without intermittent fasting, mediterranian, scandinavian, newcastle? Bottom line in all diabetically-helpful diets: You have to ENJOY what you eat, because if you don't, it won't last. And this is for the long haul. I tossed out a lot of "healthy" stuff that tasted like cardboard before I found things I enjoyed eating which didn't spike me at all. ;) Check dietdoctor.com if you need ideas for meals, They also have visual chart thingies that tell you in one glance what foods are helpful to a lifestyle change, and which aren't. As a quick little (shopping) list to get you started: Eggs, bacon, cheese, butter, nuts, berries, avocado's, full fat greek yoghurt, double cream, above-ground, non-starchy veggies and leafy greens, extra dark chocolate (YES! Chocolate!), mushrooms, meat, fish, olives, mayonaise, and hummus. Stuff to stay away from: cereal (yes, oats and wheatabix too), potatoes, fruit (other than berries and avocado), rice, pasta, corn, bread (and anything made with dough/breading really). I think that's the really short, condensed version with waaay too much info in one go. If you take away one thing from all this though, let it be the following: You're going to be okay. May even teach your dad a thing or two at the end of all this. Just, you know... Take a moment to wrap your head around the diagnosis, learn what you can, and then kick T2 *ss.

Good luck,
Jo

PS: And to answer your original question, yeah, the bulk of us got no useful information at all, were just left hanging to wait for a first appointment for weeks, sometimes months. And I'm in the Netherlands. It's not just the UK.
Jo, thank you for this reply! Sad that it'll never 'go', but I think that was me having wishful thinking after initial Doctor chat. Thanks for the notes about the 'complications', to be honest, it freaked me out completely thinking about all what Dad went through I could be heading towards - then the self flagellation kicked in that I've let it get this far, yeesh... But, no time for that now, I need to focus on getting back in range, so, I think it's time to buy my own testing kit, if the Docs won't give me one. I'm not happy just 'winging it' until 3mth check in, I'd rather get a head start and figure out what makes it normal or spiked. Thank you for all the information, its very much appreciated and I'll go through all of it. I'm shocked we just get diagnosed then sent off with little to no info from the actual Doctor! Ironically, I work in government health care and this experience has totally opened my eyes to how rubbish access to info, treatment etc is. It's not good enough, by far! If it wasn't for you guys and this site I would be in an absolute state! Thank you x

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Two extra things spring to mind. Usually it takes two tests to be diagnosed not an isolated one. That said it’s unlikely to change what you need to do. Prediabetic still needs addressing to prevent diabetes.

Also resistance training is often quoted as being better for diabetics than cardio. (And for weight loss). More muscle to take in what glucose from the blood it can despite insulin resistance. Less muscle less chance to mop up the excess glucose. More muscle raises the base metabolic rate too helping with weight loss. I’m sure you’re already aware of this though. Cardio can produce more spikes too in the form of liver dumps due to sudden demands.

Otherwise I’d agree lowering carbs is the way to manage this. Do your research and give it a try. It’ll be a lifestyle change not a diet and you’ll almost certainly loss weight as a beneficial effect as well as lowering blood sugar.
This is what I don't understand, it's literally come out of nowhere as my last blood test for something was in March, nothing and normal not even pre diabetic, then I also did a few random finger blood tests through my Dad's machine and all were around 5ish and that was a few months ago, then bosh, it's gone to over 8 and into 48 on the diabetic scale! I'm thinking "what the heck happened?!" (to make it shoot up), I can't get my head around that. Literally no warning, not even pre diabetic.. But I'll be sure to continue the weight training, I've spent all evening reading various posts and articles and I think I need a self test kit on the ASAP, and also to start back into my weightlifting, and hope it helps! Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate the info!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Many of us self test, so we aren’t working ‘blind’ between lab blood tests. You’d be very lucky if you got testing kit on prescription.
Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Edit to add that the Tee2 strips appear to be out of stock at the moment, but if you buy the SD Code Free the strips work out cheaper anyway if you use the discount codes above.
Perfect!!! Thanks for these, tomorrow I'll set about getting kitted up!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Cana that's what my doctor said too! Although, I'm really not sure if he meant gone totally or just 'managed', as some other folks gave said?! It was *the* most bizarre conversation I've had, and sadly a very important topic. I got off the phone with actually no idea on actual facts, doh!
@IronLioness Unfortunately many people on here got very little advice when we were told we were T2.
But at least your gp did say it could be 'reversed'. Most of us were told it is a progressive disease, and that we would inevitably go on to increasing medication.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo, thank you for this reply! Sad that it'll never 'go', but I think that was me having wishful thinking after initial Doctor chat. Thanks for the notes about the 'complications', to be honest, it freaked me out completely thinking about all what Dad went through I could be heading towards - then the self flagellation kicked in that I've let it get this far, yeesh... But, no time for that now, I need to focus on getting back in range, so, I think it's time to buy my own testing kit, if the Docs won't give me one. I'm not happy just 'winging it' until 3mth check in, I'd rather get a head start and figure out what makes it normal or spiked. Thank you for all the information, its very much appreciated and I'll go through all of it. I'm shocked we just get diagnosed then sent off with little to no info from the actual Doctor! Ironically, I work in government health care and this experience has totally opened my eyes to how rubbish access to info, treatment etc is. It's not good enough, by far! If it wasn't for you guys and this site I would be in an absolute state! Thank you x

I didn't have anything to go on at first either, I just read a lot of books, and didn't find this place until much later. It would've shaved months off my research and experimenting, but hey, I'm here now. What I needed most in the beginning though was people telling me it would be okay, that I wasn't completely powerless in this and that I wasn't to blame. Because I wasn't, just as you're not. It's a genetic predisposition, it would've hit you sooner or later. Especially with the dietary advice we're spoonfed, and the carbs added to advertised as -and seemingly- healthy foods, there's no avoiding it, really. The first time I went to a dietician for advice for my obesity she told me to eat 6 additional slices of bread a day. More carbs. Loads more carbs. Pasta, potatoes, rice... I followed her advice to the letter, and promptly became morbidly obese. Then she told me I'm just "one of those people" and said I'd just have to live with it as there was nothing I could do. I believed her, sadly, as I figured she was the hospital's expert and she'd know what she was talking about. And I didn't have to come back again. By the time I was diagnosed T2 I was sent back to her. When the appointment rolled around though, I'd already implemented LCHF, and since my bloods were better, and I'd lost weight, she didn't know what to do with me and sent me on my way again. (I wasn't likely to take her advice anyway. Of eating cereal and such...) The professionals don't know what to do with us because they're not taught either, there's a whole lot to be gained in knowledge on T2's... (And T1's for that matter). Who knows, you might be able to make a difference. But first and foremost, take care of yourself, learn, and know that knowledge is power. In the end, I have a bunch of auto-immune issues and health muck-ups.... But T2 is the only one I have any control over. That's, practically, the easy one.

I do hope everything'll turn up sunshine and rainbows, but just in case, there's actual help out there. ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on loads of 'healthy' carbs to lower cholesterol - I got to 264lbs and then was diagnosed with diabetes with a Hba1c of 91.
On a low carb diet I am now at the top end of normal and have been since 6 months from diagnosis. I am three stone lighter and a lot thinner around the middle - I had an equator rather than a waist.
I can now eat more than the 50 gm of carbs a day I was on to get my blood glucose levels down - but I am eating 40 gm a day to try to lose more weight. The carbs don't seem to raise my BG levels like they used to, but I don't do well on them, and I can put on weight so easily. I call my diabetes status 'negated' as it has zero impact on my physical wellbeing.

BloodThirsty

You cannot "reverse" diabetes once diagnosed .... remission, yes, control it, yes, but once you have it, you have it
Who says so?
Try researching PubMed - there is stacks of associated literature.
For instance: Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol.

BloodThirsty

Who says so?
Try researching PubMed - there is stacks of associated literature.
For instance: Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol.
Pardon my grammatical error.
Reminds me of the uni quip aimed at the engineering faculty.
"I always wanted to be an engineer and now I are one".

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all....<snip> This diagnosis scares the sh*t out of me ... Any advice of if this can be reversed would be much appreciated, thanks all.

The other thing you may note is that when you go to the diabetic information course, it is highly likely to be the traditional curriculum based on information many here go directly against. I am in Canada and pre-diabetic, and the first thing my doctor said here and the information at the course was to eat low fat, increase some fibre, eat more times per day, and eat lean meat etc.

My doctor also said not to test blood glucose levels (don't understand why really), but it is the best thing I ever did!! I got immediate feedback on everything that I could/could not eat in relation to glucose levels.

I have reduced my glucose levels (at least after eating...my morning glucose levels are still high), like many here, by going to a high fat, low carb lifestyle. You've got some decisions ahead.... But ask all the questions you want here...great group!!

MikeStrutter

Hi UrbanRacer, thanks for the reply, much appreciated. It was all a bit odd really. My doc called when I was at a work event, dropped the bombshell, said he'd book me into this info course thing, then I'm to come back in 3 months to check blood, and that was it really. It was an odd call, he said the number of the bloods were a clinical diagnosis of diabetes but didn't mention T1 or 2. It was all such a smack in the face I was still trying to get my head around what he was saying. I don't think he specifically said what type it was but because he said I can reverse it by losing weight as its not too far over I've sort of assumed its T2. I'm hoping if it was T1 he'd have said. I think maybe I need to call him again to check :pompous:

I do love the gym so I'll definitely check out the exercise forum. I really don't want to give up weightlifting if I don't have to. Just need to manage the food much better I guess. And stop eating ****! :banghead:
Hi

I was diagnosed T2 at the end of May and was given no advice by the gp beyond 'make a few small lifestyle changes', discovered this forum and read nearly everything on it and am now in the non-diabetic range.

I followed the low carb and fasting route and weight training 5 times a week. No I'll effects and muscle mass and strength increasing at a decent rate ... on par with training some 20 years previously. I've also lost 4 stone so no complaints!

My advice would definitely be keep up the weights and adopt a low carb diet - they work hand in hand for me.