I am not Obese

carefixer

In the early stages of diabetes suffers are often overweight but not yet obese this often comes later as metabolism is reduced. Some individuals are of normal weight when first diagnosed. This is often bad news as this genetic sub type tend to develop diabetes at a younger age and worsen at twice the rate than the majority of sufferers. People who are normal weight and develop the condition much later in life (>60) are usually not of this sub type.

Diabetes is simply the result of the poisoning of the modified electron transport chain in pancreatic beta cells by trans fatty acids. Obesity is the result of poisoning of the insulin receptors and mitochondrial membranes by trans-fatty acids which slows down glucose transport hence metabolism. For the majority of cases the METC poisoning is permanent, for some subtypes it is reversable. Obesity is reversible in all cases where it is as a result of metabolic reduction. Reverse your obesity and possibly your diabetes (<20%) by taking hemp or flax oil and eating only cold pressed oils.

carefixer

smcc"
I have been type 1 diabetic since the age of 25 and have managed well for the past 43 years.

When I started in medicine in 1967 I saw few diabetics in hospital and when I entered general practice I could number the diabetics that I personally dealt with in single figures. Before I retired 3 years ago, I knew several hundred diabetics in the practice, the vast majority type 2 and generally overweight or obese.

This is true but it is not the suffers fault. In the fifties and sixties there was not much obesity (<2%) of the population or diabetes. The link between obesity and diabetes is simply that they are both caused by trans fatty acids contained in refined vegetable oils such as sunflower and rapeseed oil which are recommended by the medical profession and dieticians throught the country in spite of the recent recommendations by NICE and the BMA that they should be banned. The widespread diabetes and obesity we see today is the result of the introduction of these toxic oils throughout the seventies and eighties. Obesity today is mainly caused by metabolism reduction and can be cured by eating cold pressed oils especially hemp or flax oil at the rate of 1 or 2 tablespoonfuls a day. Some lucky genetic subtypes will cure of type 2 but most cases will not. By adopting this dietary change they can slow down the rate of deterioration. (Name removed. Pm Member for details) are currently selling hemp oil on line at £4.49 per 500 ml and if you buy two or more bottles there is no delivery charge. Results for obesity can be very dramatic with peak weight loss occuring between months three and five. Do watch your bg and blood pressure though as these can fall quite quickly.

carefixer

Patch said:
Yay! Flax oil!

Google Budwig!

There is some possibility that the Budwig diet might work in some cases as TFAs are also responsible for some excess cancers as well as Alzheimers and CV disease. Readers of this might also be interested to know that natural oils can reduce peripheral neropathy very significantly and cure cellulite! So Ladies if you want to lose the cellulite you know what to do. I tried it on one fat lady I know and when I met her two years later I didn't recognise her. A group of us were asked to guess her age, we agreed on 26. She turned out to be 40 and completely free of cellulite from which she used to suffer greatly. So forget the Oil of Ulay and get the oil of hemp. Next year you could be a sex godess and asking me out for a date! I now wear thirty inch waist jeans despite having type 2 for 17 years. I can eat and drink what I like and don't count calories. I used to weigh 20 stone but I lost eight stone and now have a normal BMI. There is no effort involved just the expense of buying new smaller sizes of clothes every few weeks. It is awesome, results appear in month two and get dramatic thereafter.

Angelheart262

I am obese I am bed bound (due to a host of other illnesses, I cannot eat anyless than I do, but I cannot be active either. It really annoys me this tirade against obese people it is not all our fault
Pressurising or making people feel worse believeeeeeeeeeeeee me does not help.
I say to those wishing to poke their fingers at us, stop and think there are other reasons for being overweight.
Lets get busy living, instead of pointing the fingers at others find some compassion and then give it to othes who struggle.

Angelheart262 :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Angelheart262 said:
I am obese I am bed bound (due to a host of other illnesses, I cannot eat anyless than I do, but I cannot be active either. It really annoys me this tirade against obese people it is not all our fault
Pressurising or making people feel worse believeeeeeeeeeeeee me does not help.
I say to those wishing to poke their fingers at us, stop and think there are other reasons for being overweight.
Lets get busy living, instead of pointing the fingers at others find some compassion and then give it to othes who struggle.

Angelheart262 :roll:

Well stated Angelheart.

It saddens us here to see such comments that you refer to from people who have no idea of the circumstances of individual people and just make assumptions.....which are invariably wrong.

As you say....a bit of thought and compassion towards others is what is needed not criticism.

This Forum is about sharing and caring for our fellow Diabetic's.......

Ken & Sue
Forum Monitor's

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Patch said:
smcc - let's not forget that although a large percentage of T2 Diabetics ARE overweight, only a very small percentage of overweight people are T2 Diabetic...

Patch - do you have accurate and verifiable figures for this?
[Noting that the original post was about obesity, not just overweight]

From http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/californians-growing-heavier-more-obese-and-diabetic-4405

[Which I am not holding up as an especially reputable or accurate report.]

In 2001, 19.3 percent of California adults were obese and 6.2 percent were diabetic. By 2007, 22.7 percent were obese and 7.8 were diabetic, the study found.

6.2% out of 19.3% works out at 32%
7.8% out of 22.7% works out at 34%

Now the article doesn't appear to state that the diabetics (or even most of them) are obese.
However it seems generally accepted in the media (and Diabetes UK) that more than 80% of diabetics are obese.
Which would give us a rough approximation of 25% of the obese Californians have diabetes.

All very generalised and not precise.
However you surely see my point that a nominal figure of 25% of obese people having diabetes is not "a very small percentage".

If anyone has accurate figures (preferably for the UK) I would be very interested to see them.

I beleive that in most cases of obesity the obese person has at least some responsibility for the condition. Not always; however quite often.

To get back to the original topic:

Although I am no longer on medication as my Hb1ac has dropped to 5.7 (see my previous post) I get very annoyed when I see articles that state T2 is mainly due to obesity. Although I was never skinny, I am not, & have never been, obese. There must be other reasons people develope this condition.

and a related quote:

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet. ~Damon Runyon

It is perfectly reasonable for people to assume that if you have T2 diabetes then you are probably overweight or obese. That is the way the odds shape. As the quote above suggests, it is not always so, however it is generally so. Why get upset?

T2 is mainly linked to obestity.
Why get annoyed about facts?

Cheers

LGC

Froobes

I have found this thread really interesting to read. I've recently been on a DAFNE course and had a very interesting conversation with one of the nurses. She told us about a new injection treatment for obese people that effectively prevents overeating. What was more curious to me was that a lot of Type 2's had had tests run to see if the hormone oxyntomodulin was present. It is released from the small intestine as food is consumed to signal to the brain that you've had enough to eat - the feeling of fullness. In a lot of the Type 2's tested the hormone was either at very low levels or none existent. I'm more than aware of different causes to all Type's of Diabetes and am by no means jumping on the "all type 2's are overweight" bangwagon as frankly I think it's ridiculous, but for those who are have a read through this: http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/co ... /2390.full

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
LittleGreyCat said:
T2 is mainly linked to obestity.

Cheers

LGC

Okay - I'll bite. :wink:

I said:
Obestity is mainly linked to T2.

Chicken and egg, my friend. And the truth is, there's as much evidence to prove one point as there is the other.

Depends on how you like to draw your conclusions. Base 'em on your own research and experience, or base 'em on what the "clever bods" tell ya' to believe.

Peace, Love and Bacon fat.

-Pat.

C

catherinecherub

It really saddens me to see the morally superior blaming the Type 2's who have put on weight prior to diagnosis as being somehow to blame for their condition.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too. It breaks my heart. (Just as well we're a tough bunch, eh? Fatties, I mean...)

C

catherinecherub

I was never classed as obese but had put on weight prior to diagnosis. I am now termed as underweight.
A friend with Type 2 suggested, tongue in cheek, that I should tell people I have Type 1 and get the sympathy vote strictly reserved for Type 1's.

Froobes

I don't think there is a sympathy vote "strictly reserved for Type 1's" ...

It's not right to blame a person for their Type 2 Diabetes, but it's also not right to assume that someone with Type 1 is nourished with sympathy. We all face the same hardship's in terms of complications and it's about time people stopped putting so much emphasis on Type. Yes, there are differences, yes we are monitored differently, but there are reasons for it. Yes exercise and healthy eating is good for all of us, including non-Diabetics, do we always treat ourselves that way? No! So what if someone is Type 2 Diabetic because of lifestyle, I'm almost certain most people have done something in their life that has caused an adverse effect on their health, visible or not. No one is to blame, we have Diabetes, it's a fact. And one that doesn't need pointed fingers wavering about.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I think i typed while logged out; so i'll repeat my post, and make it much shorter:
I think that Diabetes comes first and obesity later. Obesity and diabetes are corellated but the cause of diabetes is not obesity, though it is an effect. I have some reasons for that.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Froobes said:
So what if someone is Type 2 Diabetic because of lifestyle...

You haven't been listening, have you?

Erin said:
I think i typed while logged out; so i'll repeat my post, and make it much shorter:
I think that Diabetes comes first and obesity later. Obesity and diabetes are corellated but the cause of diabetes is not obesity, though it is an effect. I have some reasons for that.

You have been listening! (And by listening I mean doing your own research and using a little common sense!)

Froobes

I have been listening Patch. What I'm saying is that not all Type 2's will be Diabetic BECAUSE of lifestyle, some possibly will. Who's to say that those who are categorised as having Type 2 because of lifestyle don't have the oxyntomodulin deficiancy that I mentioned in my earlier post. Who cares either way is what I'm saying! It shouldn't and doesn't matter, we're all Diabetic. Type 1 or 2 and people don't need to be nit-picking about causes. It makes you as bad as them.

Froobes

I also find you very offensive in that you try to belittle someone because of an opinion. I'm not against Type 2's like some people on here, I would have thought if you had the common sense that you mention you would see that.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You've got to be REALLY careful how you word things around here (and sometimes I fail miserably!).

But sometimes blunt answers are the only way to get someones attention. I can tell that your intentions are good - but when you said:

You said:
So what if someone is Type 2 Diabetic because of lifestyle...

It sounds like your intimating that People have a CHOICE in warding off diabetes, and almost that it is their right to overeat if they want to.

That's not the case. A greedy person does not get diabetes because he/she is greedy. A healthy person becomes greedy because of diabetes.

By the time you're diagnosed, it's almost always too late.

Sorry if you felt belittled - I just try to add little humour to this most dark/dry of places. :twisted:

No hard feelings, mate.

jaykay

This is an interesting discussion. :D In my youth, I was skinny and very sporty. After my second child was born, the weight didn't shift away as it had done with the first child. By the time my kids had grown up, I was obese but still fairly active and oh my, did I love my food, especially carbs! After a few diets that failed miserably, I just gave up and decided to enjoy myself. Although I was never a big eater in one go, I used to constantly 'graze' ( still do to a certain extent ) and always felt hungry. On diagnosis last year, I changed my life style and used what little self will I had left to lose 30 kgs and begin to exercise regularly. I am still overweight but feel a lot fitter and (at the moment) have fairly decent bg figures on diet only. So what made me put on weight and keep it on? Why am I always hungry? No clue. Can I control those feelings? Yes to a certain extent but the diagnosis gave me a good reason to try very hard and some days it works! :D .
Does any of the above make me a 'bad person' ? Nope. If someone wants to judge me for any of it, go ahead....I'm probably not listening 8)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Erin said:

[Just like to point out that I am not pointing the finger at anyone - just discussing the reported "facts" and the interpretation of various numbers.]

Taking the assumption discussed in the thread up above a few posts that 25% of obese Calafornians have diabetes:

If diabetes comes first and obesity later, have the 75% of obese Californians who DON'T curently have diabetes had some kind of miracle cure from diabetes?
If not, how do you explain their obesity?

Just trying to apply logic here. :D

Cheers

LGC