Most annoying things about Diabetes

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess the only reason he has @n1ck as a username is that chocoholic is in use already in at least 3 variants :)
Which must be an annoying thing about diabetes in itself. Joining a forum about diabetes and finding that the perfect username is in use already :p

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess the only reason he has @n1ck as a username is that chocoholic is in use already in at least 3 variants :)
Which must be an annoying thing about diabetes in itself. Joining a forum about diabetes and finding that the perfect username is in use already :p

He could have used Chocohon1ck :cool: missed a trick there....

Reactions: Diakat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not the most annoying but something like small annoying with cumulative (this is an English word, isn't it?) effect: checking libre with phone, entering correction, quick check facebook or this forum because, well, phone in hand, responding to posts, not being sure if injected or only noted the injections.

Dogs licking your hand when injecting.
But these are only the minor annoyances of the last 5 minutes :p

Reactions: Diakat

n1ck

Hahaha...i did look at other options but thought 'sweetness', 'enjoyment', 'pleasure' were maybe not appropriate!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've just been reminded of something that really annoys me, it's the unpredictability, possibly only affecting type IIs, possibly only me.
I've kept my BG between 5 and 7 for a couple of months at least. For the last three days my BG has been all over the place. You'd think that I was eating bars of chocolate every mealtime, rather than quite a lot of vegetables, the same vegetables I always eat. This morning is looking as though it's all going pear shaped again. I had 2 fried eggs and a microwaved breakfast mushroom. Followed by a Cappucino, 7.5 gms carb, something that I have had before without it causing any movement in my BG at all. I can't even explain the gradual increase after midnight last night, what I ate last night at 7pm is no different to many weekday nights.
2018_10_10-PIC.jpg

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been reminded of something that really annoys me, it's the unpredictability, possibly only affecting type IIs, possibly only me.
I've kept my BG between 5 and 7 for a couple of months at least. For the last three days my BG has been all over the place. You'd think that I was eating bars of chocolate every mealtime, rather than quite a lot of vegetables, the same vegetables I always eat. This morning is looking as though it's all going pear shaped again. I had 2 fried eggs and a microwaved breakfast mushroom. Followed by a Cappucino, 7.5 gms carb, something that I have had before without it causing any movement in my BG at all. I can't even explain the gradual increase after midnight last night, what I ate last night at 7pm is no different to many weekday nights.
View attachment 28901

That is strangerooney, that must be the most annoying thing, the inconsistency in doing something and the results are not what we want... does the sugar eventually go back down? And how long after...

At those times your body might be fighting off some bug or have a cold coming on, but in reality it's difficult to find the cause.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
That is strangerooney, that must be the most annoying thing, the inconsistency in doing something and the results are not what we want... does the sugar eventually go back down?

The body's behaviour certainly doesn't seem to be constant, although the 3 c-pep tests I've had showed no change, the 3 insulin resistance tests have been different, the second one being higher (more resistant) than the first and third, so I know resistance can change.

My BG started to rise at 5am, when I woke up, very much like dawn phenomena, it's risen again since I had 2 eggs, one tomato and one big mushroom. I frequently have no breakfast but as I won't get time for lunch today (who says retirement gives you spare time LOL), breakfast is a bit more essential.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The body's behaviour certainly doesn't seem to be constant, although the 3 c-pep tests I've had showed no change, the 3 insulin resistance tests have been different, the second one being higher (more resistant) than the first and third, so I know resistance can change.

My BG started to rise at 5am, when I woke up, very much like dawn phenomena, it's risen again since I had 2 eggs, one tomato and one big mushroom. I frequently have no breakfast but as I won't get time for lunch today (who says retirement gives you spare time LOL), breakfast is a bit more essential.

Well I can only wish you get better results with your blood sugar readings! And your bodies insulin resistance buggers off for a while. I would say you've made the right choice eating brekky under those circumstances. Have a wonderful day :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not had a day off from being T1D in 47 years.......apart from that I love being T1D :confused::confused::confused:

Robjw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to love swimming 3 times per week. It was my exercise of choice, after being diagnosed a little over 2 years ago I found it to fiddely to swim. You cant really check your blood sugars whilst swimming. You have to get out of the pool and wait for the blood to dry and swimming drops my blood sugars like nothing else ! So I'm looking like a mad man dashing from the pool to my snacks and back to the pool !! Plus living in sunny queensland swimming is a must in summer !

Robjw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another thing is misconceptions being a young man of 27 and looking fit people tend to look confused when I check my sugar bloods in public. It can get a little tiring having to explain that no it wasnt because I ate too much sugar !! Or people saying your diabetic right so you can't eat that right ?

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another thing is misconceptions being a young man of 27 and looking fit people tend to look confused when I check my sugar bloods in public. It can get a little tiring having to explain that no it wasnt because I ate too much sugar !! Or people saying your diabetic right so you can't eat that right ?

Definetely that really infuriates me, family have said it to me in the past and I just totally zone out, I can eat whatever the hell I want... but Ill suffer for it :rolleyes:

DeniseM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, this will be an interesting diabetic discussion for us all. What are the most annoying or meticulous things you find about having Diabetes. What makes us tick most and get in a dicky fit. What do people say that annoys you? And anything else...

For me it's when you're testing your blood glucose from your finger and you need a tiny bit more blood from your finger but it doesn't happen and your machine says ERROR :wacky: this stresses me out beyond belief for something so small it can certainly put me in a mood haha

It's very annoying especially when you're rushing.

Another thing I find infuriating is when people say "You're diabetic because you've put on weight!". NO, I've put on weight because I'm diabetic! There's a big difference. Idiots!!!!

Reactions: Dixon1995

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
No two days being the same. One day my insulin seems to work rather to well, the next day doesn't seem to work at all.

Reactions: Dixon1995

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very annoying especially when you're rushing.

Another thing I find infuriating is when people say "You're diabetic because you've put on weight!". NO, I've put on weight because I'm diabetic! There's a big difference. Idiots!!!!

Exactly Denise. People are so narrow minded and uneducated on it. I feel for the type 2 diabetics they get so much bull.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No two days being the same. One day my insulin seems to work rather to well, the next day doesn't seem to work at all.

Same for me yesterday, over the course of 4 hours fasting i injected 14 units of novorapid correction and my sugar eventually returned to 5mmol/L this morning at 5am, its pathetic...