What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Worth retesting straight away if you get one like that - could be a dodgy strip or something on your finger. Or you could just sleep on it and test again in the morning, which you did and it worked out fine. Not sure I would sleep well without knowing. Glad you are back to normal.

I had one like that but it was followed when I rapidly repeatedly retested by error messages and ended up with meter being replaced. I remember the shock though!

I've decided it was a dodgy strip as I've removed all other options. I should have retested (as you've said) and that approach will be my first line should it happen again. I was literally at the end of the tub, that strip being the last, but, all's well :)

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.0 at 7.10 am. Bedtime reading was 5.9 at 10.55 pm. And two hours later it's 7.3.

Bit frustrated with that. Finished a three day fast yesterday with my evening meal. 4.9 before I ate and 6.9 two hours afterwards and then dropped to 5.9 at bedtime.

The two previous days (when fasting), my morning readings were 6.5 (5.2 at bedtime) and 6.3 (5.9 at bedtime) so it seems that eating an evening meal has more of an impact on my morning levels than not eating.

Then again, I've been out of my normal routine. Been waking up between 5 and 5.30 but staying in bed until 7 and did find that I was getting lower readings when I tested earlier.

Anyway, normal routines resume tomorrow - back to work. Quite looking forward to it actually - had enough of staring at the same four walls all the time!

Hope everybody has a great day.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 this morning.
I was in a bizarre multiverse last night. Took my blood at bedtime, hadn't eaten for nearly five hours and had a reading of 12.3. Scared the bejabuss out of me, and I have no reason for it, at least I'm back in range this morning. Enjoy the day :)

Yes what a scare

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.5 today

The sky is looking a bit grey but we're going out anyway. A bit of shopping, lunch and then later the dreaded flu jab (possibly).
Mr gee and his mum both got an invite letter with a list of the clinics, I didn't. but I didn't get one last year either and they didn't object to me having it done when I rolled up.

Hope your day is a good one :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi Phil, I wonder sometimes with my own awareness is partly related with my exercise and has been an ongoing conversation with my consultant. In the early days i was up and down like a yo-yo trying to get the balance with how much i injected with what i ate and combined with the exercise i did on that day and previous days. It is still something i'm fine tuning to this day and think because of the ups and downs i'm aware when it's down if that makes sense. So, are you saying you have no awareness? At what level do you realise you are low? Or are you saying because it's under tight control it never gets a chance to go low?
Madam did her usual today and reverted to 4.2. @n1ck you might get look at Type 1'stars R Us as there's been a lot of chat about hypos there

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this morning.
I was in a bizarre multiverse last night. Took my blood at bedtime, hadn't eaten for nearly five hours and had a reading of 12.3. Scared the bejabuss out of me, and I have no reason for it, at least I'm back in range this morning. Enjoy the day :)
Hi @HarrisonK could have been something on your finger when you tested. ;)

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
8.8 today. Back to DN next week to see how I am getting on, will see what she suggests. Beautiful morning here today, got a few things to do out and about so I shall take advantage of the sunshine. Hope everyone is having a good day.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Obviously a wherry good morning on the Suffolk coast @OrsonKartt
Morning Ian... The steak and eggs in the morning routine seems to be doing wonders to my fasting levels of sugar. I'm guessing its the old Breakfast like a king , Lunch like a lord and supper like a peasant thing.... some of those old sayings eh? .... went for my morning work and not a wherry to be seen. Plenty of oil tankers though

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Karen I did enjoy my book although I’m not finished reading it yet I know I will be ok putting the sensor in it’s just the thought of putting it in myself and messing it up
I know what you mean ziggy2017 i do think to myself i hope nothing goes wrong putting it in but fingers cossed ive been doing it for about a year now and everythings been fine

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7 this morning. Maybe because I only slept about 5 hours last night? I just woke up and decided to get on up, and then once up I decided to stay up.

Very cloudy outside. Good day to stay in and read and clean house (but I'd rather read :) ). I think I'll listen to John Lennon on YouTube. He would have been 78 today.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning 5.6 for me.

Got some other good news with my weight loss this week, I am finally out of morbid obesity (category 3) into category 2 obesity. My BMI is now 39.5 (started at 48.0), and I've lost 43.39 lbs (19.68 kg , just over 3 stone so far since the end of June when I was diagnosed.

Last edited:

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.0 at 7.10 am. Bedtime reading was 5.9 at 10.55 pm. And two hours later it's 7.3.

Bit frustrated with that. Finished a three day fast yesterday with my evening meal. 4.9 before I ate and 6.9 two hours afterwards and then dropped to 5.9 at bedtime.

The two previous days (when fasting), my morning readings were 6.5 (5.2 at bedtime) and 6.3 (5.9 at bedtime) so it seems that eating an evening meal has more of an impact on my morning levels than not eating.

Then again, I've been out of my normal routine. Been waking up between 5 and 5.30 but staying in bed until 7 and did find that I was getting lower readings when I tested earlier.

Anyway, normal routines resume tomorrow - back to work. Quite looking forward to it actually - had enough of staring at the same four walls all the time!

Hope everybody has a great day.
Hi @david1968 what did you break your fast with? Also Bg can go up at beginning of fast as you are using ketones to fuel your body. :)

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
I know what you mean ziggy2017 i do think to myself i hope nothing goes wrong putting it in but fingers cossed ive been doing it for about a year now and everythings been fine
@karen8967 it was so much easier than I thought it would be I also suffer from anxiety so I was scared it was going to hurt all I heard was a loud click and a tiny sting :D as I have anxiety this kind of thing is a big deal for me so I’m really happy with myself for doing it :D

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@karen8967 it was so much easier than I thought it would be I also suffer from anxiety so I was scared it was going to hurt all I heard was a loud click and a tiny sting :D as I have anxiety this kind of thing is a big deal for me so I’m really happy with myself for doing it :D
Well done xx