Shared GP appointments

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first saw this thread my reaction was 'great, save time and cost for the NHS and get a group shared experience/exchange of ideas'.

But I have spent too much time on the forum, haven't I? Where people get to create their own posts, post and discuss in their own time.

What I am quite sure would happen in one of these Groups is that people with various knowledge and experience would sit in a circle while the doctor informed them all about what they should be doing - diet, exercise, cholesterol, footcare, eyetests, etc. No time for tailored personal info, and heaven help the person who raised their head above the parapet (vegan, low carber, binge drinker, chocolate addict, eating disorder...)

The thought of being stuck in room contradicting a doctor who is propounding the Eatwell Plate, in front of 10 T2s, most of whom don't have a clue that there are carbs in bread, would not fill me with joy. And I doubt that same doc would like me encouraging those 10 people to test their blood glucose, count carbs, eat to their (self funded) meters, and ignore orthodox advice on safe glucose levels, carbs not being an essential nutrient, and how 'just one' really does hurt.
No doubt GPs are making up lists of people like you (and me) that shouldn't be invited to these sessions.

lindisfel

Expert
No doubt GPs are making up lists of people like you (and me) that shouldn't be invited to these sessions.
I know a GP who doesn't want to be invited to one because there isn't enough time to give one to one consultations as it is.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cause chaos when I go to diabetes uk meets, well only been twice. oned about 3 years ago and recently. I certainly caused an uproar on low carb high fat diet. They were so adamant on following NHS guidelines and the leading diabetes and endocrinologist expert. Everyone is on meds, except for me, can't wait for next meet, which is about diet.

Any advice on my stray LDL is lightly elevated, total cholesterol is 5.5 the others are fine,even the ratio is normal. Could it be the carbs creeping back into my diet, even though A1C is 39?

Triglycerides are fine
I'm a bit confused on alkaline phosphates mine are 114, from what others have said and what I've checked its normal. BUT according to my print off its high lab puts the norm between35.00 - 105.
The GGT is elevated 79
My AST and ALT are normal I'm flummoxed
Any ideas?

Reactions: Serena51

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cause chaos when I go to diabetes uk meets, well only been twice. oned about 3 years ago and recently. I certainly caused an uproar on low carb high fat diet. They were so adamant on following NHS guidelines and the leading diabetes and endocrinologist expert. Everyone is on meds, except for me, can't wait for next meet, which is about diet.

Any advice on my stray LDL is lightly elevated, total cholesterol is 5.5 the others are fine,even the ratio is normal. Could it be the carbs creeping back into my diet, even though A1C is 39?

Triglycerides are fine
I'm a bit confused on alkaline phosphates mine are 114, from what others have said and what I've checked its normal. BUT according to my print off its high lab puts the norm between35.00 - 105.
The GGT is elevated 79
Any ideas?

I'm on doxocozin would this skew my results ?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure about this idea.

On the one hand, being able to share experiences with others who have the same condition sounds valuable.

On the other, (1) we are all individuals who have their own needs, (2) it could end up being a forum to propagate a generic drugs-based T2 regimen which is not necessarily suitable for all, and (3) it is clear to me (from the press articles) that the prime motivator is to save money, which does not sound like a medically driven decision.

Am keeping an open mind though.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Chinese whispers comes to mind. Inconsistencies at every appointment? Unless with a structured educational backbone.
Once again all lumped in as the same. :( :( :( Disastrous.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been to an antenatal class but I assume they are a similar idea - do they work ok?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are introducing these at my surgery. I have been asked by one of the nurses to go along and talk about low carb eating. Think the success all depends on the mindset of who is organising them.

Reactions: Concordjan

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been to an antenatal class but I assume they are a similar idea - do they work ok?
I haven't either, but I did go to a class for women with prolapse and incontinence problems. It was excellent. The idea was to explain all the basics to us as a group, which was obviously a much better use of time than trying to explain to each individual serially. (It was also nice to meet other women with similar difficulties.) The presentation and discussion must have lasted 2 hours or more, which would never have been possible except with a group. We were then given individual appointments to discuss our personal cases, and treatment followed on from those discussions.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't either, but I did go to a class for women with prolapse and incontinence problems. It was excellent. The idea was to explain all the basics to us as a group, which was obviously a much better use of time than trying to explain to each individual serially. (It was also nice to meet other women with similar difficulties.) The presentation and discussion must have lasted 2 hours or more, which would never have been possible except with a group. We were then given individual appointments to discuss our personal cases, and treatment followed on from those discussions.

Isn't this already in place for T2 diabetics in the form of the courses we are invited to attend - X-Pert, Desmond etc ? Group sessions with a nurse leader, explanations of all the basics about diabetes and what it is, and how it can be helped, followed by discussion?

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I’ve never been invited on a course, but would welcome the chance to ‘spread the word’ either on a course or group session.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never been invited on a course, but would welcome the chance to ‘spread the word’ either on a course or group session.

Many on here have tried that, but it has fallen on deaf ears. Many prefer to medicate and eat what the nurse has suggested .... the Eatwell Plate

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Many on here have tried that, but it has fallen on deaf ears. Many prefer to medicate and eat what the nurse has suggested .... the Eatwell Plate

I did that myself for 9 years, did as I was told, simply because I hadn’t heard of lchf and stupidly didn’t realise carbs were sugars. I think the medical profession is slowly changing and starting to give better advice. I think if people are presented with the results and told about low carb at least the choice is then theirs.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Pixie,
Fructose puts up my GGT and I need very little to do it, otherwise certain meds can do it like antibiotics. eg. Doxycycline and also fungicides.
I'll not insult your intelligence by mentioning alcohol.
regards
Derek

Ps. If you meant the alpha blocker Doxazosin earlier it should not affect your blood glucose but may make heart failure worse.

Triglycerides are fine
The GGT is elevated 79
Any ideas?

Last edited: