Red Wine

ClaireJC

Dislikes
People who force their opinions on you without checking their facts first!
Can anyone tell me the low carber's opinion on red wine? It's my daily treat of an evening and whilst it doesn't have an impact on the blood sugar levels, I'd like to know if it's going to cause me any long term damage?

I am a type 1 on a pump and was dx in January 1977 (I know - I should know the answer to this!) :?

anniep

I'm T2 and gave up drink some time ago as it affected my BG. Then last year I did some experimenting with different types of alcohol and found out that I could drink red wine. - But nothing else.

So before taking up drinking again I spoke to my doctor - she said fine to an occasional glass but to remember that diabetes can cause liver/kidney problems. So not to go mad and to make sure I stuck within the guidelines and to make sure my occasional treat didn’t turn into an everyday one.

I wouyld say talk to your doctor - and this drated condition makes so many thing different for us, than for those without it.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
There is one school of thought, with some scientific backing, that a glass of red wine a day is in fact good for people - I see no reason why this shouldn't apply to diabetics too!

If you're sufficiently self-disciplined to stick to just one glass, you have my profound respect - I can't! :oops:

But talk to your HCP anyway.

Viv 8)

jaykay

The other thing I would suggest is check your quantities! Don't forget that 1 unit is actually quite small, smaller than most of us tend to pour!

The magazine Diabetes from the Norwegian Diabetesassosiation had an article in december explaining how the amount of suger varies from 1 to 20grams of sugar pr liter in the redwine. For the whitewine the differences are bigger going from 1,50 to 46 grams pr liter and the rosé 0,20 to 16 grams pr liter.
Choose the driest rosé- and whitewine. As for the redwine it should be looked up.

They had delivered the information on the contains of suger on the most popular wines in Norway from the Norwegian monopoly.

As for the healtheffects, the french doctors recommend one :roll: unit of redwine pr. day, in condition that you DO take one glass pr day (like a medicament) to strenghten the cardiovasculaire system.
As for me, I find it easier to drink my glass by eating to control better the glucose and I do the same with my dessert.

Enjoy the good things in life, but don't abuse

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Everything in moderation...... :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Claire,

I enjoy a glass of red wine at the weekend and it has no effect on my bg control, as donnellysdogs says everything in moderation and provided you stick to the RDA it should be fine, if at all concerned speak with your gp.

Nigel

ClaireJC

Dislikes
Cheers for all the comments guys - it's the variation in sugar content that I need to look up on ... That and someone hiding the bottle once I've poured a glass! Hee hee :mrgreen:

Will check it out

Roman

A very timely thread as I am off on holiday to Portugal in 10 days to visit some old friends.
Over the 2 months that I have been on Low carbs I have only had the occasional G&T - diet tonic of course ! I would like to let my hair down a little on holiday but I realise that the usual rose wine is probably not a good idea.
Does anyone know of a source - online or otherwise - that could give me info on the carb content for red wines ? I had assumed that red wine would be ok (even in the somewhat larger quantities that we will have on holiday) but I guess it's fairly obvious that the sugar content will vary.
Would it be safe to assume that the higher alcohol content wines will be correspondingly lower in sugar ?

Thanks again guys for all the support - 2 stone lighter now and had a pleasant surprise when my bp was done last week - 119/80 .... down from 140/80

You regular posters may not realise how much encouragement you give to people taking control of their diabetes every time you contribute to this forum - but believe me - it's a great help !

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Under no circumstances should any diabetic drink alcohol, go round your houses and collect all the alcohol you can find and send it to me and I will dispose of it all safely. Hic
blink.gif

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
One way of finding carb content of a specific red wine is to go onto Tesco's website, click on the product you want, go to 'further information' about it and they list all sorts of things incl carb content on the 'Nutrition' tab.

According to the Calorie, Carb and Fat Bible, an 'average' red has 2.5g carb per 100ml - and a bottle contains 750ml - that's 18.75g carb per bottle. Burgundy and claret are highest.

Viv 8)

Summermum

Red wine is my only vice! And I've refused to give it up!!!!!!!
Having given up everything that I've enjoyed since I was diagnosed in Feb red wine is my treat for being good in the rest of my diet.
My heart consultant has told me a glass or two of red wine is good for me :D

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
The recommended safe daily intake of alcohol is 3 to 4 units, so I am of the belief that 3 units per day and every day if I fancy it is ok. For a 12.5% alcohol red wine, 3 units allows you a 250mil glass (1/3 of a bottle). In my case, this results in a reduction in b.g. I also believe that this affords me a degree of protection from Cardio Vascular disease and also a good dose of anti-oxidants.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it !! :D :D :D

All the Best - Steve

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just logged onto the forum for the first time in weeks and read this thread.

I'm half way through a bottle of Rioja and couldn't care less how many calories or carbohydrates I've consumed.

Like the previous poster said, this is one of the few pleasures I have left and I'll be damned if I'm giving it up for "betes" or anything else.

I too have noticed that it keeps my BG down and it's good for the heart and circulation (yes, yes, in MODERATION........I know :roll: ).

Cinammon, lemon juice and red wine are all consumed regularly now by me now in my quest for 7 or less BS level.

16 months now diagnosed as type 2 and still keeping within my levels so I must be doing something right............................

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Ardberg,

I too take the Cinammon (plus a complicated supplements regime which I have developed over the 2 years since diagnosis). I tend to toggle between 250 mils of red wine and 75 mils of gin with slimline tonic. I also note that a couple of pints of strong real ale have a significant reduction effect on bg's!!, though accept that this can conversely affect weight reduction efforts and affects my carb target of 30g per day so only do it about once per fortnight. I have my annual review on the 25th May and am expecting my HBA1C to come in at the 5% range as usual...

All the best Steve

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Steve,

Spookily enough, I too have just embarked on a new vitamin/mineral regime.

Aplogies to the OP as this is now going off topic, but I now take:

Befotamaine
Zinc
Hi strength Vitamin B Complex (inc vitamin C)
Ginsing
Milk Thistle
Cinammon
Ginkgo

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Ardberg,

very spooky,

I take :-

Milk Thistle, Benfothiamine, Omega 3 Fish Oil, Vit B Complex, Multi Vit + Iron, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit C 500mg, Cinammon

I also take Allapurinol for gout, but strangely enough, although I was plagued by gout attacks pre diagnosis, since commencing low carb, I havent had a single event! I was also on an anti depressant, but again since low carb, I have overcome my issues and dont need the medication!!

All the Best - Steve

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Forgot to mention Steve............I swig that lot down with a glug of High Strength Cod Liver Oil.

I am one of those weird individuals who actually LIKES the taste of cod liver oil. :shock: :oops: :wink:

ClaireJC

Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
Under no circumstances should any diabetic drink alcohol, go round your houses and collect all the alcohol you can find and send it to me and I will dispose of it all safely. Hic
blink.gif

Nice one!!! No chance, though, Sid. :lol: