Using a pump AND a Libre Freestyle

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone

I wonder how many of you pump users have used or are using the Libre sensor alongside your pump, as it obviously doesn't speak to any pump. I just wondered what you found where benefits, how many of you are self funding or how many have got funding.

Clare, Type 1 38 years, pumping 6.5 years

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
@clarehayward I'am using the Libre along side my pump (accu-chek insight) benefits are not really having to night time basal test, being able to get a rough idea where my bloods are and to treat any upcoming lows or highs whilst at work (I am a Chef) so getting time to finger prick is a little arkward, the list can go on and on.

I self funded for around 6 months then stopped but then tried the Dexcom G6 which was a big help with the alarms, I got funded from the hospital last month and bought a MiaoMiao to kinda turn the Libre into a CGM instead of a FGM.

Hope this answers some of the things you wanted to know

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@clarehayward I'am using the Libre along side my pump (accu-chek insight) benefits are not really having to night time basal test, being able to get a rough idea where my bloods are and to treat any upcoming lows or highs whilst at work (I am a Chef) so getting time to finger prick is a little arkward, the list can go on and on.

I self funded for around 6 months then stopped but then tried the Dexcom G6 which was a big help with the alarms, I got funded from the hospital last month and bought a MiaoMiao to kinda turn the Libre into a CGM instead of a FGM.

Hope this answers some of the things you wanted to know
Thanks Gaz. Yes, this does help me and answer some of my questions, so thanks for that. I've also got the Accu-Chek Insight :) you're a lot more ahead than I am. I've just had a 2 week trial and love the quickness of the blood tests and seeing the over night patterns. Wanted to make sure I'm not missing any tricks as I have just bought another set of sensors to carry on for a bit.

Reactions: Gaz-M
D

Deleted Account

I occasionally use a Libre with my pump.
I do this to check my basal settings; effectively making it easy to do basal test.
I also use it to check when the peaks are after eating certain meals. This has resulted in me combi-bolusing over a longer period for pasta and delaying my bolus for chocolate, for example.

I tend to do this every other month as things change (such as my diet for different times of the year).

I do not use the Libre for correction boluses. I always prick before any dose as I do not trust the accuracy of the Libre.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a libre alongside a pump (medtronic 640g). I can take my BGL much more frequently with the libre and see what is happening with my blood sugar, I often use the temp basal on my pump to drop or increase the rate depending on what my BGL is doing. I also use to to do basal testing and for bolusing (on me so far it always very accurate to finger pricks). I have aso used it to change settings to eat particular foods and meals - like I couldn't eat breakfast before but now I can eat porridge and stay in target. It's fab don't know how I'd manage without it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I went on to a pump, I already had a Libre, and it made the whole exercise significantly easier. Even though I'd adjusted my basal requirements down by 25% from Levemir, it provided instant feedback that they were still too high, so I was able to make on the fly adjustments that made it a lot less hypo prone.