T1D tattoo

Lisaclark4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
B942CE3B-0413-4C32-BE80-960C2A139CF2.png
I have designed a T1D tattoo to go on your wrist, just wondered what you all think, I am having it done in a couple of weeks. The drop of blood will be in red

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Looks good - we have quite few people on the forums with tat's !

Reactions: porl69

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Have you seen the other thread that's running ?

Reactions: kev-w

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I really like that aesthetically, and I agree it doesn't scream out that you have an illness, but I would suggest that you get input from those in the medical profession etc as to whether everyone who needs to know will realise that that tattoo gets across the message that you are T1 diabetic. Would a policeman get the message if you were found unconscious/confused in the street?

Reactions: Lisaclark4

Lisaclark4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have asked 2 nurses and lots of non medical people, out of 20 people only 2 said they wouldn’t know but hopefully if I was unconscious they would have called an ambulance and medical staff would recognise it x

Reactions: youngl31 and kev-w

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I know you are trying to be discreet, but I think a medical professional could easily overlook that tattoo as a Diabetic warning. Nothing against the design or the concept of a tattoo, I just don't think that design will not achieve the objective of telling someone you are a diabetic. Remember if you are out to it they will not be spending time analysing a tattoo before treatment, even the boys with the big I'M DIABETIC tattoos could be missed if they are wearing long sleeves. I'm not suggesting you go to the extent some of the guys here have done, but I would make the diabetic part much more obvious. If it's just a tattoo for you go for it. I'm seriously thinking of getting one, I have other non medical tattoos already.
This is a recent thread with an amazing D tattoo asd I'm not suggesting something this bold but it does grab your attention
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/just-got-my-type-one-diabetic-tattoo.156501/

Last edited:

Lisaclark4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for being honest and this has concerned me, so I sent the idea into work with a friend who is a nurse and she asked lots of colleagues (nurses and doctors) and they all said as it was where they would take a pulse they would know it was for T1D

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Good idea. I wear an elastic bracelet from Diabetes uk which says " I'm not drunk, I'm diabetic".
Hmm a few weeks ago I think I needed a bracelet "I'm not diabetic, I'm drunk" . I knew there was a simple cure for diabetes:)

Reactions: moleman and EllieM

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lools good !

I've been thinking about this too recently. just wasn't sure if it would get overlooked as something aesthetic etc.

I quite like the following
20180930_190219.jpg

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It would ....IMO. It's your life potentially at risk, not art so make it obvious

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It would ....IMO. It's your life potentially at risk, not art so make it obvious
I'm in favour of artistic and obvious. Will a policeman recognise an artistic T1 tattoo?

Lisaclark4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my tattoos done today and love the result

Attachments

• D71CBA9F-14C1-424C-AD2C-41DD2357529E.jpeg
    D71CBA9F-14C1-424C-AD2C-41DD2357529E.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 288

Lisaclark4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love my second one too
I am GREATER than the HIGHS and LOWS

Attachments

• 6133287B-B9E3-403E-8BD7-D1FDE04FFADA.jpeg
    6133287B-B9E3-403E-8BD7-D1FDE04FFADA.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 346

MeganTetley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I love seeing everybody's tattoo ideas! I've got a few but not one for diabetes yet, but I'm planning to have mine around the tenth anniversary of my diagnosis something like this
25233-acd02c1be9e577ddd8d4bd2eeffe3848.jpg

Attachments

• diabetes tattoo.jpg
    diabetes tattoo.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,710