Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As anyone living with a health condition can testify, it's tough at times, so in recognition of today and in case anyone is looking for some support, I read an article today and have picked out some useful points which can help in dealing with anxiety:

THE ART OF DISTRACTION
Sometimes we can become almost catatonic with worry. It can take up all of our mental space (not to mention energy) and stop us from enjoying the moment. Since worries tend to be cyclical and are very rarely constructive, a good move is to try to distract your attention away from them. Call a friend, go for a walk or do some exercise, listen to music or watch an engaging TV show or film to distract your attention away from unhelpful worrying.

TALK TO SOMEONE
Anxiety can feel very isolating when you believe you're alone in what you're going through. But the truth is, anxiety is very common; you are definitely not alone. Open up to friends and loved ones about your thoughts and feelings. Often talking about things can help you to feel better right away and get you seeing things with a clearer perspective. Try checking out blogs or online forums to see what others are saying, what they've gone through and how they've made progress.

IT'S JUST ADRENALINE
This is a key point. Those horrible symptoms of anxiety; palpitations, sweaty palms, racing thoughts, are just brought on by adrenaline. It's the body's way of preparing us to fight, or run away. Although it can feel pretty nasty, this excess of adrenaline can't really hurt us. So next time you experience those weird feeling symptoms, remember, it's just adrenaline and the feeling will soon pass.

YOUR THOUGHTS ARE NOT FACTS
Thoughts pop into our minds all the time and often, we're not really in control of the thoughts that we have. However, what we can control is how we respond to our thoughts. When we believe that every thought we have is true, we open ourselves up to a whole world of pain. If a thought pops up that 'you're not good enough' and you believe it, it can trigger a cascade of other negative thoughts and feelings around this. However if we recognise that our thoughts are not facts, we can find a lot more peace. Allow these thoughts to float in and then out of your mind, like clouds in the sky on a windy day.

EXERCISE
The NHS reckons that if exercise was a pill, it would be one of the most effective ever made. Exercise helps us to burn off excess adrenaline, produce anxiety-busting endorphins and even helps the brain to recover any damage from the long-term effects of stress and anxiety. Unfit? The great news is that the more unfit you are, the more benefits you have to gain from starting exercise. Pretty fit already? Some evidence suggests higher intensity workouts could have the best anxiety calming results.

GRATITUDE
As an example, in the workplace, we're encouraged to spot mistakes and think critically about things. However, once we've trained our minds to do this, we're also more likely to notice mistakes and be critical in our personal lives too. Not ideal if you're anxious! To counteract this, train your mind to spot positive things by keeping a daily gratitude journal. Write down 3 specific things you're grateful for and why, 3 things you're looking forward to and 3 things you did well recently. After a few weeks, you'll find your brain will naturally seek out more positive things.

7-11 BREATHING
This breathing technique helps the body go from fight or flight mode to 'rest and digest' mode in only a few minutes. Breathe in for a quick count of 7 and then out for 11. As you inhale, let your belly expand like a balloon so that you're breathing in really deeply into your diaphragm. As you exhale, let the balloon deflate. Continue for a few minutes or for as long as you like.

ANSWER BACK TO YOUR THOUGHTS
This tip comes from cognitive behavioural therapy. Write down your anxious thoughts or worries and then imagine you are 'answering back' to the thought from the point of view of a caring, rational friend. What would they have to say about the matter?

mr_cat

Thanks for your helpful post.
Long term low level anxiety can do truly nasty things to the body I am sure it was a major contributor to my t2.
On a lighter not [not] "IT'S JUST ADRENALINE" made me smile it sure did not feel like 'JUST' adrenaline at the time I had a mega attack a few months back, a ten minute walk back from the shops turned into an over 30 minute one wrestling the adrenaline pulses and all the accompanying weirdness.
Such a relief to get home ugh then a another 4 hours dealing with it.
No matter how much meditation etc my reptile brain was having none of it!
So anyone else out there who has to put up with this you have my deepest sympathies.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Great post, thank you. I have used yoga breathing excercises since I was 17 to combat stress and to help with sleep. When I was still able I would walk the dog to break the cycle of negative thoughts and sometimes, in those wee dark hours, I would write down my fears and worries like a letter and then I would 'send' a reply to that letter with positive vibes and here is where it gets a bit weird - I would then burn both letters to rid myself of the negative thoughts. This would have a calming effect on me and sometimes it saved me from falling deeper into the pit.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks @Guzzler even if it helps one person then that's great :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Anxiety and other mental issues which are symptoms of my condition.
If it is the adrenaline, which I have been tested for, how does that correspond with too much insulin circulating and ever increasing symptom levels when fluctuating blood glucose levels are daily up and down every few hours?

From what I have read, the hyperinsulinaemia and hyperglycaemia will effect the glucose to the brain, this causes the symptoms and the signal from your brain and other organs are disrupted, and the symptoms are the brain insisting on you eating, craving carbs, sugar, hence the extreme hunger pangs.

This is why, with RH, the dietary control is so important.

Anxiety wether the condition, or symptoms from another condition is horrible and affects your life so much.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Useful, thanks @Juicyj
We are having a get together at work to discuss mental health tomorrow - oddly this positive move is making me anxious. How will it work? What food will be served? Will people be singled out? No idea what to expect.

cazipix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic post - thank you!

Thoughts are not facts made me smile!

My anxiety peaked a couple of months ago, I could feel it building and it got to the point where I became physically sick because of the anxiety/stress and had to take time out of work. As this isn't the first time this happened, I realised I needed to find a way to deal with it. I am lucky enough that work provide an Emloyee Assistance Program and they put me in touch with a counsellor.

8 sessions later, armed with the tools I need to cope with my anxiety the one thing that sticks in my head is Facts not Feelings - it's a mantra I live by now. Questioning my feelings, my anxiousness, my uncertainties - why do I think that? what's the worst that will happen? do I really think xyz?

I for one, am delighted to see Mental Health being spoken about and tips shared!

Reactions: mondFi and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Useful, thanks @Juicyj
We are having a get together at work to discuss mental health tomorrow - oddly this positive move is making me anxious. How will it work? What food will be served? Will people be singled out? No idea what to expect.

I thinks it’s great that your work is doing this, it’s when mental health isn’t discussed that people shy away from it, taking care of ourselves mentally each day is just as important as the physical exercise and diet but I don’t think it’s still acknowledged. Let us know how it goes ?

Reactions: Diakat

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks @cazipix i have found with diabetes that there is support available but accessing it is an issue, I suffered greatly with my diagnosis 6 months after finding out, although my GP was happy to prescribe medication there was nothing else available at time to help me out. Acknowledging how I felt then vs now and what steps were required to recover is something that will always stay with me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's the chest pains which tip me over the edge. Especially if followed by an asthma attack.
Argh!!!!!
THE older youngest son gets... the better my understanding of Autism is but just for him. I don't understand those who don't appreciate him. I guess I never will.

Those tips @Juicyj are excellent. Thank you. :)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Micronutriants have been found to help greatly with anxiety and other mental health issues . Do check out the work of Professor Julia Rucklidge