What is the concentration of sugar in the blood?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi all, I hope you are all fine
What is the concentration of sugar in the blood?
Do they mean quantity, Or duration ?

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi HICHAM,

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but I think you will find the answer regarding quantity here:

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Blood-Sugar-Normal-Values.aspx

"In other words in a healthy adult male of 75 kg (165 lb) with a blood volume of 5 litres (1.3 gal), a blood glucose level of 100 mg/dl or 5.5 mmol/l means a total of about 5 g (0.2 oz or 0.002 gal, 1/500 of the total) of glucose in the blood."

Cheers

Reactions: Serena51

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi HICHAM,

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but I think you will find the answer regarding quantity here:

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Blood-Sugar-Normal-Values.aspx

"In other words in a healthy adult male of 75 kg (165 lb) with a blood volume of 5 litres (1.3 gal), a blood glucose level of 100 mg/dl or 5.5 mmol/l means a total of about 5 g (0.2 oz or 0.002 gal, 1/500 of the total) of glucose in the blood."

Cheers
Hi @pete254
Thank you This site has been very useful
I mean (Blood glucose concentration)

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard people talk of blood being sweet or viscous because of a high glucose level. One or two teaspoons of glucose in 5 litres of blood is unlikely to be detected.
(5g in 5,000g isn't that 1/1000 not 1/500?)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean, that there is 1.25 grams of sugar in 1 litre of blood? 4 grams of sugar in 5 litres of blood? (All the blood in the body) Which is physically like if you took all that out it would be a teaspoon of sugar

I guess thats assuming your a healthy non-diabetic

Source: https://patch.com/massachusetts/weston/bp--how-much-sugar-is-in-the-body-d58f0c9d
If you were a diabetic with a blood glucose level of say 10mmol/l that would only be a total of 2 teaspoons in total.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I have heard people talk of blood being sweet or viscous because of a high glucose level. One or two teaspoons of glucose in 5 litres of blood is unlikely to be detected.
(5g in 5,000g isn't that 1/1000 not 1/500?)
I think do you mean full glucose in body ?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think do you mean full glucose in body ?
No that is just the blood. According to the reference in post #2 there is about 45g total in all the body fluids. Of course there is much more but stored as fat not glucose.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2