DIABETIC WORKOUT

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit more info on you might be helpful here..
Type of diabetes, medications body size etc?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @sarahshapiro11375 Have you spoken to your GP about exercise ? It might be worth getting checked out there first, otherwise as long as you are up for it then anything is possible, start walking if you're new to exercise or join a gentle class or try swimming and as you progress and increase your fitness and stamina then try other forms of exercise. Also don't be afraid to change it around, sometimes a class wont suit you, perhaps it's full of mega fit folk who make you feel inferior, so try another, but don't let any experience put you off, more importantly it's about having fun and enjoyment as this is what will keep you engaged, rather than doing something for the sake of it.

From experience I have found it's best to mix it up a bit to make it interesting and set yourself exercise goals like 30 minutes each day as a simple way to start off, apart from getting fit it's the release of endorphins which make it so worthwhile :)

Reactions: Grant1969
D

Deleted Account

The best exercise is something you enjoy.
This is no different whether you have diabetes or not but if you don't like it, you won't do it.

As far as I am aware, there is no exercise that is especially suitable or not suitable with diabetes. They should all be good for your BG control in the long run. However, different exercises will effect us differently (and we all are different in that difference).
Some will rise your BG temporarily and some will lower it.
The only way to find out is to try something out.
If you take BG lowering medication like insulin, make sure you have your hypo treatment nearby.

And enjoy yourself.

Reactions: Sean01
S

Sean01

Hi @sarahshapiro11375

Most exercise - if done at a level that will provide any real benefit can cause a bit of a blip in your blood sugar levels. Glycogen stored in the liver is converted to sugar and released into the blood where it is used to feed the muscles.

The problem is that this can cause a temporary sugar spike. With time, you will reep the reward of better sugar control but to get to that space you have to run the gauntlet of BS increases whilst exercising.

A possible solution is for longer duration, lower intensity exercise which still tones and maintains muscle mass.

WALKING is brilliant. I swear by this and try to walk every day - mainly on a treadmill whilst watching Vikings on DVD (or any other sword and sandal films). You need to do this at a pace that is faster than widow shopping speed but not so fast that it will leave you breathless and resulting in a BS spike. Walk with reasonable determination but definitely not at 'forced marching pace'.

I don't just walk.
I work out in a gym. My training is strong man - OK that's a bit extreme, but a programme of weight training where you exercise all of your muscles in a routine once or twice a week, will be beneficial. You will tone up, you will increase your metabolism and by having more productive muscles, you will be able to use up more sugar more quickly and help manage any spikes in your blood sugar.

One little secret: As an ex body builder, I knew that the best single exercise was the squat. It has an effect on just about all of your muscles, but getting good at it takes years and it uses up a colossal amount of energy.

As a strongman, I would now say that the best exercise for all round body conditioning is the Farmer's Walk (You will find examples on youtube but obviously don't think you have to carry 1,000 lbs to make it productive.) Use a weight that is comfortable to carry and allow you to walk for say 50-100 meters before you need to put it down. Take a rest and repeat. You are walking with added resistance - the best of both worlds - walking and weights combined. You can use dumbells, kettle bells or any other form of weight at home or at a gym with an outdoor training area. (Plenty of sites selling second hand dumbells and kettlebells on the internet.). (Doing this will not make you a muscle bound meathead. Very few people can do that.)

Qualifications:
Not a doctor - that bit's important
Completed the Loch Ness Marathon in 2012 (7 hrs 24 - walked all the way - Last man home - so easy to find on the results page!) In 2010 I had just come off being on crutches for 3 years. The Marathon was a personal challenge.)
Biology graduate - still not a doctor
42 years training experience, so far
T2 since October 2015
Managing my diabetes in this way has added years to my life. I'm 53 and still getting fitter.
I aim to get stronger every single work out.
My wife also does strongman an my kids have started lifting.

Good luck with your journey

Sean

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would like to know if there are any specific workouts for diabetics?
Hi Sarah, the short answer is no.

If you want to tackle on aspect of diabetes such as Insulin Resistance (IR) then you don't have to go for a 20 mile run and lift 200lbs in the gym.

So what's Insulin Resistance and why should you be targeting a portion of your exercise to reducing it.
Very short answer basicly your muscles are not very good at absorbing the sugar from your blood stream by stressing your muscles they become better. Less resistant and absorb the sugar from your blood quicker. This can go a long way towards reversing diabetes.

Stressing your muscles means making them contract not lifting very heavy weights. :bookworm:

IF you go for a walk you are using your leg muscles if you go swimming you are using arms and legs so swimming is better for reducing IR. So any form of exercise which uses more muscles is better like Yoga Palaties or Tai Chi.

Think of it like this if you have one big candle or lots of little candles which will give you more light.

Hope that helps. ;)
:bag:

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
If you are a type 2, Dr William Shang recommends strength training with maximum effort in his book "The FIRST Program: Fighting Insulin Resistance with Strength Training". It did make my BG spike and I was concerned at how long it stayed high. However, everything suddenly changed after a few weeks, when my BG fell into the normal zone. As JuicyJ said, it is worth talking to your doctor before you undertake any exercise programme, but especially if you decide on a vigorous form.

Last edited:

Ghazalsabet81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. Would like to know if there are any specific workouts for diabetics?

Hi. I’m T1 since i was 8 age now 37. Weight lifting is the best for me. Keeps your muscles active during many hours and has really changed my BG levels to be more stable. Cardio for ex will make your body burn during the moment you are excersizing only. The best is but if cardio mostly weights (high intensity) and excersize regularly. Xx

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, I play walking football, its fast, lots ifvtwitcand turning, its great For a cardio work out. I played futsal and 11 a side footy. When I walk the dog, its not a gentle stroll. I walk fast uphill. For me, I find the liver dumps a load of glycogen if I don't eat first. If I have low carb, high fat breakfast it comes right down nicely.
Exercise is the same as anyone else

KBev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do whatever exercise you like! Just make sure you've got hypo treatment nearby, and check your levels as you go - don't be shocked if your BG shoots up, and make sure before you exercise your levels aren't too low/too high, as either will make you unwell or not perform very well. If I exercise when my levels are above 9mml, I am sure to have a spike and feel a bit sick. My diabetic nurse (also a long term T1) is a marathon runner, and will make sure his levels are seemingly very low, with enough insulin on board, in order to be able to use the energy properly in the body whilst running.

I used to play competitive netball, squash, and have done a bit of CrossFit! I loved lifting weights but didn't like the cult-ish attitude to the rest of life, but it was easily the most effective way of losing body fat and toning up.

I am doing a half marathon on Sunday, which takes a little more thought to ensure safety on the day.

Please just never let the old 'D' hold you back. The benefits of exercise are wonderful and plentiful.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 38 and discovered strength training and weightlifting four months ago. It's changed my life. My blood sugars have come down from the late teens, to normal range, and my body feels so much stronger. I also do cardio at the gym, but I live for the strength training!