What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all
4.8 this grey windy morning
Planning to work today and tomorrow as I object to being stuck at the PC much less when it’s yucky outside! Pleased I don’t do many hours at all now so I can juggle it - I’m sure that when I used to do - on average - 6 long days a week mainly sat down at the PC it contributed to my Poor metabolic health. I find now I don’t have the discipline to stay sat down for long periods I need to move around regularly but I’m sure it’s better for me to move as much as possible.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all 5.7 today. ....I've discovered wild mushrooms in most of the local supermarkets and they make an amazing breakfast with scrambled eggs. Almost truffle like ..... I find now in my diet I crave for tasty, tasty things rather than bulk . I know some people dont like mushrooms but if you do its a great time of the year
Must look I love mushrooms there are loads in our local woods but wouldn’t dare pick them must be great to know what you’re doing. I’ve thought about doing a foraging course bet it’s fascinating

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.3 Thursday morning. I am not happy. I have only myself to blame (peanut butter on crackers last night), and my next A1C test two weeks from now. I started off the summer so well, eating right, losing weight. Now carbs are creeping back in, vegetables are out the window, and yesterdays morning's roller-coaster of FBG numbers (6.2 - 7.2) is worse today as 7.7 - 7.3 - 7.2. And that's because I'm hungry almost all the time no matter how much "good" food I eat, and the renewed realization that I can never look forward to a satisfying meal again.

Yes, I know things could be much, much worse. And I am grateful they're not. I'm just tired.
Hi I’ve sent you a link to a forum recipe book that may give you some ideas.its in a message/conversation I’ve linked you to so you should have invite direct.
I have to include some sweet treats using erythritol and regularly bake - do clafoutis for example ( see booklet) I’m baking some egg custards later too just swapping out the sugar for erythritol. It makes it work for me. We are all different but I find that just a small amount of sweet stuff made using erythritol dosent spike me, or make me hungry or want more but know that others are affected differently and can’t tolerate sweetners at all.

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Must look I love mushrooms there are loads in our local woods but wouldn’t dare pick them must be great to know what you’re doing. I’ve thought about doing a foraging course bet it’s fascinating
I'm in the same boat regarding foraging. I even joined a facebook foraging group but the only ones I can clearly identify are the puff balls..... at £1.50 a box in Asda and Morrisons I feel they are a bargain . I've also just discovered goats butter which makes a subtle difference when frying...

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 again at 0800.
Still in Kent. Visited my friend in hospital yesterday and she looks 100% better. Should be home in a couple of days. Meanwhile just me and the dog!
@Ziggy2017 Thanks for your kind wishes and I really hope things go well for you too. Have a nice evening with your fun aunt.
Have a good Friday everyone, stay well, stay safe.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all. 7.7 at 8.20 this dark, wet and windy morning. Started with a good old fashioned cold yesterday so methinks I'll stay indoors today where it's warm and cosy. Happy Friday one and all.:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 7.7 at 8.20 this dark, wet and windy morning. Started with a good old fashioned cold yesterday so methinks I'll stay indoors today where it's warm and cosy. Happy Friday one and all.:)
Hope the cold is relatively short lived and staying indoors is "agreeable"

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbs 7.0. Tested again.... 7.6!!!! Highest ever since monitoring. I've gone off the rails this week with the 30th birthday celebrations for my daughter. Too much wine. Big piece of birthday cake, HUGE. Potatoes with my birthday dinner I ate instead of giving away. Pub crawl yesterday as the weather was glorious and it was hubby's last free day before he goes back to work. Too much wine. My favourite restaurant for dinner only to find that have changed their menu. (Jaws music here!).No tapas! Had halloumi....good choice you might think....But it was coated in breadcrumbs when it came! Chicken with.... rice. And I helped hubby with his banoffee pie dessert (due to the influence of the wine). Today I've dusted myself down, put the past few days behind me and put my best foot forward. Onwards and upwards. One meal today. Bacon, scrambled eggs and mushrooms. 3 x coffee with cream. Lots of water. 6.1 after 2 hours. Looking forward to checking fbs in the morning. Not dreading it as I was this time last night.
Nothing wrong with you treating yourself @Debandez you have done a fantastic job lately so just enjoy the treats:):joyful:. "Start again Monday" ;):smug:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all different but I find that just a small amount of sweet stuff made using erythritol dosent spike me, or make me hungry or want more but know that others are affected differently and can’t tolerate sweetners at all.
Very interesting points here for me. I don't have great bg control like some here but I know that some kind of compromise around WOE is essential for what control I do have. Sweeteners are central to that balance for me - I use plenty in tea and coffee but without that sweetness in my life I could not tolerate this WOE. I think within the overall LC framework most people will have to make compromises be it an 80/20 rule or certain tastes.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Thanks, rhubarb. :) I think maybe the hunger is because I've eaten some carbs, then the craving for them returns so that even though I'm not really physically hungry I'm craving sweets.
But tonight I ate an Atkins low-carb bar and so far, 4 hours later, I'm still not hungry. And it didn't spike my BG. So maybe I can eat one once in awhile when I crave something sweet.
I have had trouble finding low-carb foods to eat, other than meat and some green vegetables. I bought a crock-pot, but I've found that I don't like food cooked in sauces in a pot, and cauliflower just doesn't replace potatoes in the recipes. I've tried zucchini spirals and riced broccoli, and they just taste disgusting.

@SaskiaKC – again I sympathise. One of the most critical rules of any diet is “if you don’t like it, don’t eat it” – it shouldn’t be unpleasant. Well done for being prepared to try a few new things, but if they are not to your taste then discard and move on.

But vegetables are just like meat in that HOW you cook them makes a big difference to the outcome and your response to it. Like you, I love cooking meat in a slow cooker – it’s great for breaking down tougher proteins into an unctuous rich sauce.

But that’s no way to treat a cauliflower. Billy Broccoli doesn’t want to be a coal miner, he wants to be ballet dancer so let him dance and show what he can do.

I agree with you on spirallised courgettes and squash – they weren’t born to be spaghetti! They are big chunky veg. Let them be chunky.

You don’t have to integrate the veg into the dish – it may be better as a side dish.

Can I give you a bit of homework? Work out what you like. Get a piece of paper and pen (or a spreadsheet if so inclined).
Down the left write all the names of all vegetables that you think you might like to eat – green ones, yellow ones, red ones, orange ones; salad, root, legumes .
Across the top write all the cooking methods – raw, grilled, boiled, steamed, baked, roasted, fried, mashed.

Then put ticks at the intersections you think you might enjoy, and question marks if you’re not sure.
Next time you make a recipe, remove the starchy element, and replace with 1 or 2 portions of something off that sheet of paper.

Hopefully the recipes from @shelley262 will help as well.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Cumberland

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting points here for me. I don't have great bg control like some here but I know that some kind of compromise around WOE is essential for what control I do have. Sweeteners are central to that balance for me - I use plenty in tea and coffee but without that sweetness in my life I could not tolerate this WOE. I think within the overall LC framework most people will have to make compromises be it an 80/20 rule or certain tastes.
Hi @ianpspurs think it’s important to look at balance but also think it’s important for information that I , as an individual, still manage to stay in keto one year after I started ( currently 2.1 ketones) despite having erythritol sweet treats and an almost daily small glass of red wine. When I started keto a year ago I was very very strict 10 - 20g of carbs, no sweetners and rare glasses of wine. My ketones then were often in the 6-8 category but they only need to be between 0.5 - 2 to be optimal so once I achieved weight and bg targets I slowly started relaxing and experimenting to see what suits me. Now my bgs, weight and ketones all keep motoring along at a good level if I stick to three smallish meals to include one small glass of wine ( except Monday) and include a small desert after dinner. I try to fast for 17/18 hours every day ie lateish breakfast and early tea/dinner and no snacks ( not always practical so I do this most of time ) I also try and stay below 30g of carb and find portion control with the carbs helps with this! I know there are a lot of members who don’t do this preferring to give up all sweetners but for me, like you Ian, this way of eating is sustainable and most importantly it suits me. I didn’t eat lots of sweet stuff though before diagnosis- mainly fruit! but know some have probs with sugar addiction which, I gather can be re-ignited with sweetners.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Hope the cold is relatively short lived and staying indoors is "agreeable"
Thank you ianpspurs and all who responded to my post. Looking through the window at the lashing rain and howling wind I don't think I'm missing much. I'm feeling a tad rotten at the moment as well as sneezing for Britain so hoping this cold goes as quickly as it came! Best wishes all. Stay warm and dry if you can.:)

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you ianpspurs and all who responded to my post. Looking through the window at the lashing rain and howling wind I don't think I'm missing much. I'm feeling a tad rotten at the moment as well as sneezing for Britain so hoping this cold goes as quickly as it came! Best wishes all. Stay warm and dry if you can.:)

Take care, @dogslife. Try to rest a bit. I hope you get over your cold soon.