What do you take for Hypos?

dave102

For those of you with Type 1, what do you keep around in case of hypos?

We have Lucozade scattered around the house/car which does the trick for me.

kind regards
Dave

sofaraway

usually glucose tablets, I used to have lucozade but I was tending to overtreat using it. when i'm low I get really really thirsty, so find it hard to stop.

dave102

Surely you guys are taking glucose tabs to prevent hypos, not when you're actually having one, no?

kind regards
Dave

dave102

The last time I had a glucose tab was about 1974. I'm just surprised that you have the time to chew and swallow them. Do they work that quickly then?

kind regards
Dave

martinbuchan

50% of type 2s will need insulin eventually. Hypos are not restricted to insulin users. i was given quite specific advice to treat a hypo- 3 glucose tabs or 90ml lucozade/full sugar coke. Mostly this is enough unless I get the nibbles - then i go mad and could eat a scabby dug. With my current foot infection and rest- i am not prone to hypos at the moment.

Marty B

Addy

Glucose tablets don't seem to work for me but a mini can of fanta does the trick.

...falling is not the problem, it's when you land...

To be honest I find 3 or 4 glucose tablets won't get me far enough out of a hypo - normally thats because my hypos are caused by exercise (which keeps working after you've stopped). I tend to go for either a banana or I like turkish delight (low fat high sugar!). Either way I also tend to have a bit of bread or a hob nob type biscuit with a little slower acting sugar to make sure my levels remain normal without dipping again.

sugar

Errrm, well I have H aribo sweets, as they taste nicer than lucozade tablets, and don't turn to dust, get covered in teh detritus that lurks at the bottom of my handbag. Also, if I am not out and about, fat coke works well. The luc tablets don't work for me, and as for hypostop! OK, its a personal thing I know, but I would not voluntarily go anywhere near this stuff, whilst I am able to make a conscious decision. Don't get me wrong, it is great if you are having a hypo that is beyond the point where you can sort yourself out.

Is that what is causing some misubderstanding I wonder? Hypo, to me at least is when my blood sugar dips below about 3.0. (My machine seems to read quite low....so I think this should usually be about 3.6) Dave, do you consider a hypo to be when you are completely "out of it?"

dave102

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sugar</i>
<br /> Dave, do you consider a hypo to be when you are completely "out of it?"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Sugar

Pretty much yes. A hypo as far as I'm concerned is when you're getting the shakes/wobbles, incoherent or whatever it does to you.
BS levels of 2.0 or below.
A BS level of 3 - 4.5 is just a low reading and not a hypo. You should have enough time to eat something to sort it out at this point.

kind regards
Dave

dave102

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SarahQ</i>
<br />Dave the official hypo number is 3.9.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks Sarah, no one has ever told me that before, but it kinda makes sense.

kind regards
Dave

sofaraway

agreed abotu needing to treat under 4mmol/l. I have lost some awareness in the 3.3-3.9 range, and If I see that number I don't tend to treat very agressively. It's a habit i need to get out of, because it's not going to help my unawareness at all.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I'm type 2 but on Gliclazide so have hypo's occasionally. I gobble a few jelly babies as soon as I get the warning signs including the shakes. My bs are usually in the 3's when this happens. Once the shakes have subsided I recheck my bloods. If still lowish after 10-15 mins I may have a small carby snack.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm type 2 but on Gliclazide so have hypo's occasionally. I gobble a few jelly babies as soon as I get the warning signs including the shakes. My bs are usually in the 3's when this happens. Once the shakes have subsided I recheck my bloods. If still lowish after 10-15 mins I may have a small carby snack.

@dogslife This thread is over 10 years old so you may not get a response from the original OP.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those of you with Type 1, what do you keep around in case of hypos?

We have Lucozade scattered around the house/car which does the trick for me.

kind regards
Dave
Jellybabys ideal thing for hypos

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest I find 3 or 4 glucose tablets won't get me far enough out of a hypo - normally thats because my hypos are caused by exercise (which keeps working after you've stopped). I tend to go for either a banana or I like turkish delight (low fat high sugar!). Either way I also tend to have a bit of bread or a hob nob type biscuit with a little slower acting sugar to make sure my levels remain normal without dipping again.
Jelly Babys best thing for hypos

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Errrm, well I have H aribo sweets, as they taste nicer than lucozade tablets, and don't turn to dust, get covered in teh detritus that lurks at the bottom of my handbag. Also, if I am not out and about, fat coke works well. The luc tablets don't work for me, and as for hypostop! OK, its a personal thing I know, but I would not voluntarily go anywhere near this stuff, whilst I am able to make a conscious decision. Don't get me wrong, it is great if you are having a hypo that is beyond the point where you can sort yourself out.

Is that what is causing some misubderstanding I wonder? Hypo, to me at least is when my blood sugar dips below about 3.0. (My machine seems to read quite low....so I think this should usually be about 3.6) Dave, do you consider a hypo to be when you are completely "out of it?"
keep a packet of Jelly babys there perfect for hyps