Cold feet and hands

Don66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this a symptom of diabetes or is it to do with the meds ?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this a symptom of diabetes or is it to do with the meds ?
I don't know of any meds that give cold hands and feet, but that's not to say they don't exist. You don't say which meds you are taking.

I have for years suffered with seriously cold hands and somewhat cold feet and I do attribute that to my raised bgs. I am hoping that if I can keep my bgs as low as possible these symptoms, and others, may gradually reverse. I think my hands are already a bit better, but I'll have more of an idea when the weather gets colder.

D

Deleted Account

I often have cold hands and feet.
I have experienced this all my life before I had diabetes and before I took any medication.
My mum is the same and so was her mum.
This is due to Raynaud’s; a hereditary disease

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often have cold hands and feet.
I have experienced this all my life before I had diabetes and before I took any medication.
My mum is the same and so was her mum.
This is due to Raynaud’s; a hereditary disease
I used to suffer from episodes of Raynaud's, with single fingers sometimes going white and dead. Curiously, that disappeared, but what I have had for years is terrible circulation in my hands especially. Even in Summer they would look as if I had dipped them in red ink up to the 2nd joints. Every winter I have been getting chilblains and my nails don't grow properly, indeed they only grow back over the Summer in time to be blasted again in the Winter. The fact that I am seeing some improvement does suggest to me that raised bgs were the cause, but of course this is not at all certain.

D

Deleted Account

I used to suffer from episodes of Raynaud's, with single fingers sometimes going white and dead. Curiously, that disappeared, but what I have had for years is terrible circulation in my hands especially. Even in Summer they would look as if I had dipped them in red ink up to the 2nd joints. Every winter I have been getting chilblains and my nails don't grow properly, indeed they only grow back over the Summer in time to be blasted again in the Winter. The fact that I am seeing some improvement does suggest to me that raised bgs were the cause, but of course this is not at all certain.
I find my Raynauds is sometimes a symptom of a hypo.
As high and low BG tends to exaggerate any illness, pain, etc., I guess it is possible that you could see less Raynaud’s with lower BG.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with @helensaramay and Raynaud’s.... I'm T2 and no meds and my feet are often blocks of ice. Circulation always checks out good. In the fingers they blanch and go cold, often after holding something with a closed fist... :banghead:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember when I was first diagnosed with a failed thyroid and had a small dose of Thyroxine prescribed. On about the third day I was suddenly aware that my hands and feet felt as though they were immersed in warm water. They had felt cold for a long time, but it is quite difficult to diagnose a failing thyroid - I had a number of tests over years, but was always told it was fine, until suddenly it wasn't.

Reactions: Paulm80

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know of any meds that give cold hands and feet, but that's not to say they don't exist. You don't say which meds you are taking.

I have for years suffered with seriously cold hands and somewhat cold feet and I do attribute that to my raised bgs. I am hoping that if I can keep my bgs as low as possible these symptoms, and others, may gradually reverse. I think my hands are already a bit better, but I'll have more of an idea when the weather gets colder.
im a type 1 diabetic and I have cold hands and feet, my feet are ice cold even when im in bed ! ive had diabetes for 7 years now but for a few years before that I had yes ice cold feet my mam had a condition called Raynaulds !

Don66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Im on metformin . Linagliptin and gliclazide

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I remember feeling so terrible cold all the time when i was misdiagnosed as T2, was taking Metformin, Gliclazide and Sitagliptin.

Today i'm still on Metformin but never get cold hands or feet now.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have sweaty palms and feet especially in summer but since diagnosis it is very different and I have to wear socks most of the time which I never ever did up to a year ago.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Used to have icy hands as a teen (which I'd put in my dad's neck, exclaiming "CORPSE CLAWS"!), but once my hypothyroidism was diagnosed & treated, my hands warmed up. Maybe something to look into, as T2 and Hashimoto's often go together?

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
When I diet or simply reduce my calorie intake, I get cold hands/feet as a first sign I'm losing weight - I get a direct correlation.