Most annoying things about Diabetes

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
Same for me yesterday, over the course of 4 hours fasting i injected 14 units of novorapid correction and my sugar eventually returned to 5mmol/L this morning at 5am, its pathetic...
Yes, also the fact when your sugar goes high you can't eat because you are waiting and waiting and waiting for your sugar level to drop.

Another one to the list, work colleagues who don't give you 5 minutes to 'sort yourself out' whilst your doing blood tests, carb counting, putting your numbers into your pump handset etc. even though they sit right next to you!

KBev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great points so far, I personally hate how I feel now, I know before I got diabetes, even when I was 14, I felt great, I felt fine when I was in the honeymood period, when that ended and I had to start controlling it myself with more artificial insulin, I started realising how degenerative diabetes is. I mean I haven't experienced any diabetic complications yet (touch wood), but I do not feel like the person I was before I got diabetes at 15, and it is so hard to explain to people what I mean.. before then, I was the fun energetic young lad who had a different personality and after that, I just felt different :s maybe it affected my mental health as well

Does anyone else feel the same?

I couldn't agree more! I felt so carefree until my teenage years... (diagnosed aged 8 but the reality didn't dawn for a few years). The daily grind is very wearing. I am not clinically trained but I can tell you that I found mindfulness of benefit, and talking to other diabetics, and CBT can really help with managing negative emotions/behaviours... It is quite a trauma to be diagnosed with something like this, no matter what the age or circumstances. Give yourself credit for living it every day and finding the strength to survive...

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I get irked by blood smears all over my documents at work cos my finger won't stop bleeding haha
It’s my clothes that get covered in blood after injections sometimes you would think I had hit an artery!

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn't agree more! I felt so carefree until my teenage years... (diagnosed aged 8 but the reality didn't dawn for a few years). The daily grind is very wearing. I am not clinically trained but I can tell you that I found mindfulness of benefit, and talking to other diabetics, and CBT can really help with managing negative emotions/behaviours... It is quite a trauma to be diagnosed with something like this, no matter what the age or circumstances. Give yourself credit for living it every day and finding the strength to survive...

Thankyou for the encouraging words. Like all of us we have to just get on with it as it where. It's gotten easier to deal with after learning new techniques, how my body works best and how to control properly.

I feel a lot better now than I used to. Cheers, hope you're doing well.

LornaFarrell

Getting a toddler and a baby in the car, driving 25 minutes to the pharmacy, getting them out of the car and traipsing everyone in to collect prescriptions. About every two weeks. And even worse to do it all then discover they haven’t processed the request and there’s nothing to collect.

People telling me “oh, my friend has that. She can eat doughnuts, they don’t affect her blood sugar at all.”

People just not getting how big this is.

The logistics of appointments when you have two children under 3 and no childcare.

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
Getting a toddler and a baby in the car, driving 25 minutes to the pharmacy, getting them out of the car and traipsing everyone in to collect prescriptions. About every two weeks. And even worse to do it all then discover they haven’t processed the request and there’s nothing to collect.

People telling me “oh, my friend has that. She can eat doughnuts, they don’t affect her blood sugar at all.”

People just not getting how big this is.

The logistics of appointments when you have two children under 3 and no childcare.
Why sign up to have your prescriptions delivered by post? There is loads of companies doing it now (free) , one advertising on the main site here. Very easy and straight forward.

Reactions: Dixon1995

David Tuck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep I agree that is really annoying. My frustration is again the blood tester. Mine cradhes quite regularly and make two very loud beeping noises. It seems to know when I'm in a rush too! After this it takes 3 or 4 minutes to restart .Very annoying and the help line sent much use either. When I tell them it's got a message that says electronics error the help line usually say it is something I've done! Very annoying!!
Hello, this will be an interesting diabetic discussion for us all. What are the most annoying or meticulous things you find about having Diabetes. What makes us tick most and get in a dicky fit. What do people say that annoys you? And anything else...

For me it's when you're testing your blood glucose from your finger and you need a tiny bit more blood from your finger but it doesn't happen and your machine says ERROR :wacky: this stresses me out beyond belief for something so small it can certainly put me in a mood haha

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep I agree that is really annoying. My frustration is again the blood tester. Mine cradhes quite regularly and make two very loud beeping noises. It seems to know when I'm in a rush too! After this it takes 3 or 4 minutes to restart .Very annoying and the help line sent much use either. When I tell them it's got a message that says electronics error the help line usually say it is something I've done! Very annoying!!

Same for me my recent blood meter was an Aviva nano which started malfunctioning! I had to constantly change the battery because it was flashing change battery every few days even with new batteries.

Have you tried going to the diabetic centre at your nearest hospital and requesting a blood glucose meter? I got one this way as they had loads in a back room they just gave me one and asked me to change the strips at my doctors.