Gluten rash?!

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was symptomatic of coeliacs for about 2 years now. Bloating, fatigue, brain fog, nausea, aneamic, constipation, diarrhoea the list could go on. Anyway my blood test came back negative and I refused the colonoscopy (I just cannot go through with it). I seen a kinesologist who said I came up as intolerant to wheat (not gluten)and lactose. I havnt cut anything out as yet as having a tumultuous time atm but I've had this rash on both arms from shoulder to wrist for as long as I can remember of my adult life and am just wondering if anyone had something similar that was related to an intolerance?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was symptomatic of coeliacs for about 2 years now. Bloating, fatigue, brain fog, nausea, aneamic, constipation, diarrhoea the list could go on. Anyway my blood test came back negative and I refused the colonoscopy (I just cannot go through with it). I seen a kinesologist who said I came up as intolerant to wheat (not gluten)and lactose. I havnt cut anything out as yet as having a tumultuous time atm but I've had this rash on both arms from shoulder to wrist for as long as I can remember of my adult life and am just wondering if anyone had something similar that was related to an intolerance?

I follow a gluten free diet on the advice of an endcrinologist, even though I had no coeliac antibodies. However cutting to your query. I don't have an "always" rash, although I have been GF for over a year now, but these days if I load the toaster for my OH, or make him a sandwich at lunchtime, my hands become very dry and the fingertips sometimes crack. Very annoying!

I must admit when I saw your query, my immediate thoughts were whether or not you have been tested for Lupus?

When I was having the coeliac antibodies done, I also had all sorts of other stuff tested too, including lupus, general connective tissue disorders, RA and so on. They were all tested because of a family history littered on both side with AI conditions. Thus far I appear to have dodged every one of those bullets.

I know Dr Google can be a scary place to go raking, but have you looked for images like your rash?

I hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: sjm1308

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I follow a gluten free diet on the advice of an endcrinologist, even though I had no coeliac antibodies. However cutting to your query. I don't have an "always" rash, although I have been GF for over a year now, but these days if I load the toaster for my OH, or make him a sandwich at lunchtime, my hands become very dry and the fingertips sometimes crack. Very annoying!

I must admit when I saw your query, my immediate thoughts were whether or not you have been tested for Lupus?

When I was having the coeliac antibodies done, I also had all sorts of other stuff tested too, including lupus, general connective tissue disorders, RA and so on. They were all tested because of a family history littered on both side with AI conditions. Thus far I appear to have dodged every one of those bullets.

I know Dr Google can be a scary place to go raking, but have you looked for images like your rash?

I hope you get it sorted.
Thank you for your reply! I did just Google lupus and I don't have any of the symptoms and the rash doesn't look similar but it also doesn't look similar to any of the Google images of a gluten rash! Perhaps I'll visit my doc after all..

SimonCrox

Dermatitis herpetiformis is a spotty blistering itchy rash which occurs just in a small area, and is associated with coeliac disease. I'd ask your GP cos there are lots of other rashes and there may be an easy treatment, and most GPs are pretty good on rashes.
Best wishes

sha333y1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
trying to follow type 1 and celiac diet together !!!!

sha333y1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi I'm type1 and celiac. I understand what your going through. My skin is awful I'm really trying but if I makw a mistake I get covered in sore blisters. I'm so fed up honestly .I recently got prescription bread and there was only 2 days sell by date . When I opened bread every loaf that's 8 was mouldy . I hate both of these conditions

sha333y1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dermatitis herpetiformis is a spotty blistering itchy rash which occurs just in a small area, and is associated with coeliac disease. I'd ask your GP cos there are lots of other rashes and there may be an easy treatment, and most GPs are pretty good on rashes.
Best wishes

sha333y1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for your information it' made me feel that I'm not alone

Reactions: SimonCrox

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find this video interesting. I did.
It was the final piece of the puzzle that kicked me over into going completely gluten and grain free.
It took several weeks of v strict GF but at that point my psoriasis and joint issues improved to the best condition for 15 years.
Ironically, I ‘got glutened’ last week (self inflicted) and I am back to square one again (avoiding stairs because of knee pain, painful hands, and skin issues in several places), but I have just shrugged and gone back to strict GF. In a few weeks, I will be fine again. :)

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best wishes
Hi there. I have had DH for 12 years. If I smuggle in illegal food alongside normal food my rash is very mild. The rash always appears in the same places. Not had to use Dermovate for several years now. Good luck. A shame that much g-f food is expensive.

Reactions: SimonCrox
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Have you thought about googling your concerns about your rash, also a word with your Gp could be helpful. Not knowing what actually is can be so frustrating, I hope you can find some relief, take care.

Reactions: WuTwo

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought, have you been avoiding gluten prior to your test? As this will bring a false negative. If not, an endoscopy rather than colonoscopy is what is done to confirm coeliac - I had mine done under sedation and didn’t remember a thing. The DH rash tends to be tiny blisters in a small area- mine were on the tips of my fingers but I do get rashes because generally I’m pretty sensitive to stuff like washing powder, perfumed soaps etc. I’m a delicate flower

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a thought, have you been avoiding gluten prior to your test? As this will bring a false negative. If not, an endoscopy rather than colonoscopy is what is done to confirm coeliac - I had mine done under sedation and didn’t remember a thing. The DH rash tends to be tiny blisters in a small area- mine were on the tips of my fingers but I do get rashes because generally I’m pretty sensitive to stuff like washing powder, perfumed soaps etc. I’m a delicate flower
Do note you are replying to a thread that is 3 years old