Insulin neuritis

Jenninp89

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi everyone, so today I was told I have a rare complication of bringing blood sugars quickly under control. So rare that even google struggles to inform me about the condition lol.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has experienced the above? My GP says it should clear up once the nerves in my legs and feet start to repair themselves. I'm worried I'll be left with permanent leg pain and stuff.

Anyone?

Thanks

Tokamachi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, so today I was told I have a rare complication of bringing blood sugars quickly under control. So rare that even google struggles to inform me about the condition lol.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has experienced the above? My GP says it should clear up once the nerves in my legs and feet start to repair themselves. I'm worried I'll be left with permanent leg pain and stuff.

Anyone?

Thanks
I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes in April 2017. I suffered from diabetes neuropathy until August 2017. My legs pains was so awful that woke me up in the middle of night crying. I spoke to my primary doctor and he stated that once my diabetes is well controlled I should not go through the awful pains but he also stated the length of diabetes, If I had a diabetes for awhile than it will needs more time to heal the nerve. I still have a pains but not like before. My A1C is now down to 7% from 14.8%(US).
Hopefully, you didn’t have a diabetes for awhile! Pray for your quick recovery because I know the pains are....... Good luck! I hope you understand my writing(my second language).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Jenninp89 - Insulin Neuritis is pretty uncommon, although there are a couple of members on here who have experienced it. I'm not sure of IDs though.

The couple of studies I've seen suggest that it does clear up after a period of time, but I can't say I experienced it on diagnosis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057039/

Form what I understand, it's caused by a significant, rapid reduction in glucose levels after starting treatment, and in some places, they have now started to reduce levels considerably more slowly in order to reduce the risk of it taking place.

You may also find more information by searching for "treatment-induced neuropathy in diabetes" or TIND.

Reactions: Shas3

Eliseanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am wondering if I have got this. My glucose levels have halved since being diagnosed in November with diet metformin and Januvia. About a week ago I started to get severe leg and hip pain at night. It is a deep aching pain running down from my pelvis to my calves. I can only get relief by walking up and down or having a hot bath. I have tried over the counter pain meds but they only give relief for an hour or so. I have bought some magnesium and vitamin b and will go to my diabetic Doctor later today. I have a demanding job and the pain and lack of sleep are taking their toll. If I knew this is temporary and just due the drop in sugar levels I would be reassured. Any advice welcome and my sympathies to all of you who are up in the wee small hours with this awful pain.

Eliseanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Painkillers don't seem to work. The worst time is between one and four in the morning. I am not getting any sleep and don't know what to do with myself.

mac1660

Anyone?

Thanks
Hi, I saw your question on this board about insulin neuritis. My husband may have this and i'm wondering how you're doing. Has the pain improved? I'm looking for a glimmer of hope, I'm scare to death about this and can use some advice.

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to reassure everyone suffering with Insulin Neuritis that it is temporary. Took me over a year to get clear of it, but it did finally ease.
You all have my sympathies as I know how hard it is to deal with.
It was also absolutely horrendous weaning myself off Tramadol (brilliant painkiller but a nightmare when you stop, even really gradually)
But thankfully they were right when they said 'long-term-temporary'!

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Old thread but relevant... I think I maybe going through this.... my HbA1C dropped from 11.8% in October 18 to about 7.8%. in January. And i have had several issues with pain, weakness in legs that it led to a fall leading to a fracture and even a dreaded moderate foot drop. Doctors couldn’t establish the cause but Vitamin B12 / ALA supplements helped. As surprising as it sounds by May foot drop fully resolved. I still have weakness in legs and I hope it improves. My HbA1C is at 6.6% and I think I should not try to aggressively reduce. I should probably educate my doctor that he just handled a case of TIND without realizing

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Perhaps, if this phenomenon is due to rapid reduction in bsls over a relativel short periods of time by any method, not just insulin, then insulin neuritis is a misnomer.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps, if this phenomenon is due to rapid reduction in bsls over a relativel short periods of time by any method, not just insulin, then insulin neuritis is a misnomer.

Yes. The current preferred term is TIND - Treatment induced neuropathy in Diabetes

Reactions: Struma

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
So is there a treatment - induced ophtalmopathy (TIOD) and treat-induced nephropathy separately or as well in some diabetics?
That could mean two TINDs, or do we get around that by proposing a treatment-induced renopathy (TIRD)
or is that gambling too much or too offensive?

Caprock94

I was diagnosed in early April with an a1c at 8.5%. Dropped it to 6.5% in 6 weeks. Pain in my feet and occasional tingling in hands started at that six week mark once my numbers were back down (didn't have this symptom before or at diagnosis). I'm hoping it goes away as body adjusts to normal BG levels.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So is there a treatment - induced ophtalmopathy (TIOD) and treat-induced nephropathy separately or as well in some diabetics?
That could mean two TINDs, or do we get around that by proposing a treatment-induced renopathy (TIRD)
or is that gambling too much or too offensive?

No clue but apparently Treatment induced retinopathy is apparently a thing

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of people have temporary issues with their eyes after dropping blood sugar levels. I wonder how many others had issues with peripheral neuritis?

As I understand not everyone who drops sugar levels quickly gets TIND. There are a few members who have mentioned it. My understanding is TIND is more likely IF at diagnosis:

A) Fasting sugar levels are relatively high. Over 250 mg/dl (14 mmol)

B) High sugar levels have been there for a while (years... not months)

C) initial Treatment is aggressive dropping sugar levels rapidly in couple of months into good range

In these situations there is a higher chance of TIND. In my case I think all these happened... 280 mg / dl fasting at diagnosis... probably over 18 months based on my medical check up schedules... and HbA1C dropped from 11.8% to 7.8% within 2 months

Reactions: Firefly1

Caprock94

As I understand not everyone who drops sugar levels quickly gets TIND. There are a few members who have mentioned it. My understanding is TIND is more likely IF at diagnosis:

A) Fasting sugar levels are relatively high. Over 250 mg/dl (14 mmol)

B) High sugar levels have been there for a while (years... not months)

C) initial Treatment is aggressive dropping sugar levels rapidly in couple of months into good range

In these situations there is a higher chance of TIND. In my case I think all these happened... 280 mg / dl fasting at diagnosis... probably over 18 months based on my medical check up schedules... and HbA1C dropped from 11.8% to 7.8% within 2 months

Mine went from 8.5% to 6.5% in 6 weeks. Who knows. Just hope it goes away.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine went from 8.5% to 6.5% in 6 weeks. Who knows. Just hope it goes away.

Hope so. The latest thinking is to bring down the levels gradually. So if you are still trying to bringing down, as against maintaining your current level, maybe better to not be overly aggressive. Of course you could bring it for discussion with your doctor... Good luck

Caprock94

Bringing up an old thread. My feet gradually got better over the course of about 16 months. This week, it has flared back up for some reason. The only thing I can think of that is different is I started taking CBD oil about two weeks ago. Could it have an opposite effect? Anyway, its been a rough few days. Not really sure why.

Kgoolsbee

Anyone?

Thanks
I’m researching about neuritis and want to ask if your pain ever cleared up? My husband has a burning pain since February and his A1C came down from 13%. I’m trying to find someone who experienced this and want to know of it can clear up once your bs numbers are in control.