Managed it!!!!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I've just stuck my first steel cannula in and it didn't hurt at all!!! :shock: :mrgreen:

It's not attached to the pump as I wanted to take the pressure off and just see if 1) I could stick a needle in myself 2) It feels ok

I am still amazed I managed to do it but being able to see how tiny the needle is was a huge help. I couldn't put it in fast but even so it really didn't hurt. However I can feel it's there unlike the teflon set.

I have changed me set the other side and I already suspect it has failed, although a blood test shortly will tell this for sure. I am now tempted to try an attached steel cannula...

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmmmm

Well the other cannula (Inset II) had failed so I decided to go for it and try a steel one. My BG at fail was 14.6

First I went to set up the Rapid-D link and was very annoyed to find that it doesn't work with my Animas 2020. Yes it's a luer lock but it has plastic "wings" on that bit that don't sit within the cap of my pump. So I can't use these even though they are fab :evil:

Luckily I have 2 Animas Contact detach samples so set up one of those. Not as nice to insert but I managed and then have taped the annoying "detach" part to me as well. So more bulk but hopefully a foolproof cannula... or is it?

So I bolus a correction for my 14 and retest an hour later to find I'm 16.8 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Worried the set has failed I've injected 10 units and phoned a friend for advice. After chatting we both agree that there is a chance I didn't give the set long enough to kick in and so I'm now waiting to see if I've given myself an overdose :roll:

Are these steel sets foolproof?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done Mushy for getting the confidence to put in the steel set, I know how apprehensive you were about trying it :D

Jess has never had the contact detach fail. The only time we've had problems is from air bubbles in the cartridge or tubing, never had a problem with the set itself.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sophia how do you manage the detach part? I have taped the little loop between the two down and the detach is sited above the cannula.

When you change how do you do it? Just detach, remove and place new one? Always before I have left the old one in so that I can make sure I position new cannula a good distance apart but it's getting busy on my stomach now with the detach bit :lol:

Also discovered that my trial set bled lots when removed, even though it was very comfy. Is this more usual with needles?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't compare about the bleeding between teflon and steel because we've only ever used steel. Sometimes it bleeds and sometimes not. Yes we remove the set completely before inserting the new one.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also the wings don't go back down after using them. Is that on every set?

Hazza

Well done on the steel cannula :). Did you prime it before you inserted it as the steel ones need to be primed prior to insertion unlike the teflon ones which are primed once they are in.
We occasionally get a bit of bleeding but it is never much, it's normally just a little prick where it was in. I know some people have had what they call gushers but that has not been oiur experience.
We have not had a steel cannula fail yet but I suppose that nothing is ever 100%. We have been using them since December so that is a lot better than teflon ones which failed quite often.
I'm sure that if you persevere you will have fewer failures.

Harry

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Harry! I did prime before putting in, although the samples I had didn't come with instructions so had to find them on the net!!

Next change tomorrow, which is one of the downsides to steel sets having to change more often. I hope with time I will gain much more confidence putting the set in as my needle phobia is quite bad. To be honest I am shocked that I have managed it at all!! I think now I'm a mum there is a need to have something much more reliable and that drove me to it :lol:

I have also realised I need to be more careful when I remove a needle, as with the teflon you can just yank them out any old how. Having the wings stay on the contact detach set will help with removal :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
MushyPeaBrain said:
Also the wings don't go back down after using them. Is that on every set?

I'm not sure how much your wings are not going back down. Ours don't go flat down again but they're flat enough so as not to catch on clothing. Perhaps if you took a long time to insert the cannula the wings have been held up for a longer time and more firmly (if you were nervous) so perhaps maybe that's causing a problem?

Taking the set off we use an adhesive removal wipe. Ease all the way around the cannula to unstick the sticky patch, once that is no longer sticking to your skin you can pull firmly away to whip the cannula out. I actually hold the sticky patch part rather than the wings but you'll work out what works best for you. Pull away at a 90 degree angle from your skin (as it went in i.e. straight), don't pull away just from one side causing it to come away at a sharp angle as that may cause some discomfort. We find removing the detach part first and then the cannula part is easier otherwise you have the sharp cannula poking around whilst you're trying to remove the detach part.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Bril Mushy!!

Can't help regards wings etc, as not seen your sets. I think you will find the stainless steels good, but you will have to get used to that small rigid bit of 6mm!! You can manage it, and one thing I think is that they are brillaint for a consistent performance compared to the teflons. I know I would never go back to teflon, ever. If for any reason I could not have my s-steel sets, I would NOT go back to teflon ones.

I never have any doubts nowadays whether my sets or pump or cartridges or anything are working, as since swopping to the stainless steels any high's have been totally down to me.....without doubt.

iHs

MushyPeaBrain said:
Sophia how do you manage the detach part? I have taped the little loop between the two down and the detach is sited above the cannula.

When you change how do you do it? Just detach, remove and place new one? Always before I have left the old one in so that I can make sure I position new cannula a good distance apart but it's getting busy on my stomach now with the detach bit :lol:

Also discovered that my trial set bled lots when removed, even though it was very comfy. Is this more usual with needles?

Hi

When I first started to use the Rapid D I looked at Accu chek's website to see how to insert them and looked at the video link. In the beginning I used a piece of Transpore tape to go over a D shape loop but couldn't really see what the purpose was so decided to just leave the connector part loose and not use the tape. Was just wondering if you could just leave the connector bit loose and not peel off the adhesive backing?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's true, you could just not use the connector part adhesive. We use it because if Jess drops the pump it will tug on the connector rather than the cannula part avoiding the cannula being pulled out by accident. But the adhesive sticks to well I doubt it would pull out anyway unless you pulled really hard.

We don't tape down the loop between the two sticky parts. Jess wears the site on her bottom with the connector part stuck to her tummy/hip so the loops is covered by her underwear. She's never had a problem getting it caught or hooked yet.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I managed another one!! It didn't hurt and I am still so amazed I can do this! Sophia you were right that I held onto the wings too long before as this time I was quicker and they are sitting much better, almost flat.

I removed the old set first and was happy to see it didn't bleed, although there is a red mark more than I normally get after an inset. The wings helped a lot in pulling it out more carefully but I will also need to use Lift Plus so am hoping to get that on prescription.

I have decided to stick the connector part for the moment as it does give extra security and it might not bother me after a while.

I still don't like the change every 2 days or that I can sometimes feel the needle (especially if my son kicks the site :roll: ) BUT I do like the security that once in it's working and I'm not anxious for hours waiting to see if it's kinked.

Thank you so much for all your help and support with this everyone! I have ordered 3 boxes of these from Animas and will continue to see how I get on with them.

Sophia how do you manage with resevoir refill? With the insets the set change and fill never coinsided for me so I just did each whenever needed. Am interested to see if you always do it together or seperate?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yay Mushy, I'm so proud of you for getting through your phobia :D The more you do the set changes the more confidence you'll get, I'm sure :)

We don't coincide the set change with a cartridge change each time, sometimes it does happen that way but not always.

If it's just the cartridge that needs changing then we disconnect the pump from the connector part, rewind, remove the old cartridge and that end of the tubing, open a new set package and take the cartridge side of the infusion set tubing out (leaving the cannula part unused), connect the tubing to the newly filled cartridge and load into the pump, press load cartridge, then do a prime until a little squirt of insulin comes out, then plug the pump and new tubing into the connector and you're ready to go.

If it's just the cannula that needs changing then we disconnect the pump, remove the old cannula and connector sticky patch, connect the new cannula end of the tubing to the pump at the connector point (leaving alone the old cartridge tubing end), prime the pump until about five drops of insulin drip out of the cannula, insert the cannula, stick down the connector patch and you're ready to go.

I hope that makes sense. The pump rep did tell us to change the entire thing, cartridge and all, at every set change, but it seemed an awful waste of insulin so now we leave the cartridge and that end of the tubing and only replace when it gets very low.