Delaying the Progression of Type 1 Diabetes

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 is auto immune, you can't stop it, type 2 you possibly can, look at the correct medical information that's out there.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do understand, Michita. That's why my post said, "for me". If, for you, it isn't feeling beaten but a workable way of dealing with it, that's admirable.

All I'm saying is that while low carbing works for you, there's lots of us who get by quite happily without low carbing but are frequently explicitly or implicitly mocked by low carbers for doing so.

I know that you are a moderate person who is willing to see another person's point of view but there are people in the low carb camp who demand toleration of their views and at the same time completely refuse to tolerate the views of others.

I really don't think anyone is mocking t1s managing without low carbing. I really don't think so.. I think the way you manage is remarkable, but not everyone can do what you can do. Not everyone can afford gcm libre. T1s on low carb have a small voice I just want to see lowcarbing as an accepted way of managing T1 which is not at the moment and it's really frustrating

Reactions: zand

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T1s on low carb have a small voice I just want to see lowcarbing as an accepted way of managing T1 which is not at the moment and it's really frustrating
Well, of course low carb is not an accepted way of managing T2 either, though the number of enlightened GPs and DNs is growing, to judge by reports on this Forum. The Type One Grit Facebook group recently hit the headlines getting terrific results for T1 children on low carb. Dr Ian Lake (T1) seems to be an indefatigable missionary for low carb, giving everything from lengthy addresses to brief interviews on the subject. Highly recommended! We're getting there.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DR+IAN+LAKE

Reactions: michita

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m not exactly quiet in advocating low carb as a great option for managing T1, as most of you are possibly aware! For me it’s been a bit of a holy grail, after 20 years of yo-yo levels. Perhaps my body doesn’t react consistently to food/insulin - I could never get the timing of a prebolus right, sometimes insulin would kick in after 10 minutes, sometimes an hour. Same variables with food, even the same meal on different days. So for _me_ minimising the carb content of my food has meant I’ve removed a lot of the inconsistency in my life, and I feel much healthier for it.

But if you can get your doses and timings right, and your metabolism (with the addition of exogenous insulin) can deal with carbohydrate, there’s no reason not to eat exactly what you like.

I don’t feel like giving carbs the boot means I’ve lost - I feel like I’ve finally found a way to live that really works for me. And I count that as a win.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All I'm saying is that while low carbing works for you, there's lots of us who get by quite happily without low carbing but are frequently explicitly or implicitly mocked by low carbers for doing so.
Who, where, what?
I'm sorry Scott but you have said this multiple times but I have never seen it happen on this forum.
Ok I don't frequent the T1 threads often but I do read quite a few.. and I've never seen this "frequent mocking " that you describe. Can you actually link to the thread where it happened?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I really don't think anyone is mocking t1s managing without low carbing.

Tim Noakes in the twitter link above plainly was. Comments like his appear regularly in lchf forums, and, indeed, on this forum.

T1s on low carb have a small voice

You must be kidding. This entire site is devoted to low carbing, so that statement is nonsense. References to low carbing appear everywhere. I've had people pm'ing me saying they are reluctant to post because they feel they'll be shouted down for daring to eat a steakbake.

Many experienced T1s with decades worth of experience in the real world have drifted away because they simply can't be ar**d with the constant "do Bernstein or you'll die" nonsense.

Get back to me in a couple of decades (I've done three) and tell me how you're getting on after that length of time with a diet which involves ruling out an entire food group.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tim Noakes in the twitter link above plainly was. Comments like his appear regularly in lchf forums, and, indeed, on this forum.

You must be kidding. This entire site is devoted to low carbing, so that statement is nonsense. References to low carbing appear everywhere. I've had people pm'ing me saying they are reluctant to post because they feel they'll be shouted down for daring to eat a steakbake.

Many experienced T1s with decades worth of experience in the real world have drifted away because they simply can't be ar**d with the constant "do Bernstein or you'll die" nonsense.

Get back to me in a couple of decades (I've done three) and tell me how you're getting on after that length of time with a diet which involves ruling out an entire food group.
The only person I have seen quote that Noakes tweet on here is you.. twice.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The honeymoon period wasn't a consideration 30 odd years back, weight based dosing and away you go, I was talking about similar somewhere else as I used to say to my Dr that some days it was like I was making insulin (crazy hypos) and I was into sport, and that happened for years.
I don't low carb, there's occasions where I'll reduce them but as I always say, there's carbs and there's carbs, I find I can usually match the carbs to my fast acting insulin, the plates of food I've shown on the food bit are what I've lived on for a long time, I've not had an HBa1c over 59 in 34 years.

But it's horses for courses is living with T1D, what works for one doesn't work for another, and again but... Insulin is the hormone that allows the body to metabolise carbs, I'm obliged to inject insulin so I eat carbs whose digestion speed broadly mimics my insulin absorption, of course I can get it wrong :) but for me it broadly works....

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Who, where, what?
I'm sorry Scott but you have said this multiple times but I have never seen it happen on this forum.
Ok I don't frequent the T1 threads often but I do read quite a few.. and I've never seen this "frequent mocking " that you describe. Can you actually link to the thread where it happened?

Some of the criticism is quite subtle, but still cutting. I've not bothered bookmarking anything because I'm too busy eating cake, but here's a starter for ten points:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/why-dose-diet-matter.122563/page-2

Post #21: "The advice in this thread is, I believe, poor".

And then post #39 which is full of bold font, a sure sign of a weak argument which usn-t prepared to tolerate any other view.

Followed closely by post #40 which is worth quoting in full to emphasise its gross overstatement and exaggeration and apparent failure to understand some simplr basuc rules of T1 management:

"Eating a lot of carbs then taking a lot of insulin to cover it is like putting your foot on the gas and the breaks at the same time and trying to steer your car safely. No, it's dangerous and reckless."​

I could go on, but my phone's about to run out of battery.

Reactions: hh1 and kev-w
K

Knikki

Wow this thread soon started to go down hill, who's going to get there bits out first and start waving them about to see who has got the biggest? :***::rolleyes::hilarious:

Thanks @Alexandra100 for the original post it is certainly interesting and it would be interesting to see if any newbies on here did the same thing and if they managed to prolong their honeymoon period. :writer:

As for low carb, well if you like it, it helps you then fab. :joyful:

But some of us don't low carb and like cake and that too is also fab. :joyful:

Everyone is different and deals, treats, lives with their diabetes in their own way and no one should shout anyone down just because they don't fit into their perfect world. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Quotation from the article:
" People who have type 1 diabetes are at risk of dangerously low blood glucose levels. During the honeymoon period, the body responds better to insulin and blood glucose regulation is easier. To extend this period is only beneficial to the patient. Dr. Parth Narendran of the University of Birmingham and lead study author stated, “We propose that exercise prolongs honeymoon through a combination of improving how the body responds to insulin and preserving the function of insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This could have important benefits for people with type 1 diabetes, including improved blood glucose control, [fewer] episodes of [hypoglycemia] and a reduced risk of diabetes-related complications.” "
Thank you, however the article 'proposes' benefit but does not prove it.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
So if that is the case wouldn't low carbing be the best route for those people? Or does the pancreas just throw out insulin even when someone has eaten no carbs at all? Honest questions, not looking for an argument.
From my own experience and not as professional opinion or advice: Low carb diet is a choice not an obligation. In the honeymoon period one has to weigh the risks of hypos vs hypers and then there is the fact that some will be teenagers who will be needing extra nutrients as they go through growth spurts and some who are newly pregnant. What diet or diets are best for these persons is still be researched. There is likely to be no one right answer, just a list of preferences with advantages and disadvantages put up to justify one approach vs another.

Reactions: zand

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
So if that is the case wouldn't low carbing be the best route for those people? Or does the pancreas just throw out insulin even when someone has eaten no carbs at all? Honest questions, not looking for an argument.
From my own experience and not as professional opinion or advice:
I do understand, Michita. That's why my post said, "for me". If, for you, it isn't feeling beaten but a workable way of dealing with it, that's admirable.

I know that you are a moderate person who is willing to see another person's point of view but there are people in the low carb camp who demand toleration of their views and at the same time completely refuse to tolerate the views of others.
Yes, when something works for one person there can be a belief that it should work for all, which is a pipe dream. As others have said, one cannot extrapolate something that works for one person or a number from people with one form of diabetes and various age groups to another form and set of circumstances.
Low carb diet is a choice not an obligation. In the honeymoon period one has to weigh the risks of hypos vs hypers and then there is the fact that some will be teenagers who will be needing extra nutrients as they go through growth spurts and some who are newly pregnant. What diet or diets are best for these persons is still be researched. There is likely to be no one right answer, just a list of preferences with advantages and disadvantages put up to justify one approach vs another.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't low carb myself, more like "lower" carb - so about 200g per day - I do like cake, crisps and beer! But I make this manageable by limiting any meal to max 50g carbs. For me the notion of eating whatever I want - and maintaining good control - is impossible.

I'm also armed with knowledge, i'm happy to pre-bolus (some people are scared to), i'm lucky I can afford Dexcom and Apple Watch so I never miss alerts.

I think the default advice to T1's should be low carb. Low(er) carb does make it easier to manage.

When people have the tools, knowledge and confidence then increase carbs if they wish.

The fact is that most T1s have very, very poor control.

I think the advice given at diagnosis - you can eat whatever you want and bolus when you start eating is catastrophically bad.

Reactions: Alexandra100

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As for low carb, well if you like it, it helps you then fab. :joyful:

But some of us don't low carb and like cake and that too is also fab. :joyful:

That is exacty the point I've been trying to make, Knikki, apparently without success, because low carbers seem to be unwilling to concede the second point.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of the criticism is quite subtle, but still cutting. I've not bothered bookmarking anything because I'm too busy eating cake, but here's a starter for ten points:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/why-dose-diet-matter.122563/page-2

Post #21: "The advice in this thread is, I believe, poor".

And then post #39 which is full of bold font, a sure sign of a weak argument which usn-t prepared to tolerate any other view.

Followed closely by post #40 which is worth quoting in full to emphasise its gross overstatement and exaggeration and apparent failure to understand some simplr basuc rules of T1 management:

"Eating a lot of carbs then taking a lot of insulin to cover it is like putting your foot on the gas and the breaks at the same time and trying to steer your car safely. No, it's dangerous and reckless."​

I could go on, but my phone's about to run out of battery.
One person on one thread doesn't really add up to "frequent mocking". The one poster was just disagreeing with what you and Azure were saying. There wasn't any mocking at all at least not the way I read it.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that exercise certainly helped me to achieve very low HbA1cs in the first years after diagnosis ( lowest 4.9%, always in the '5s' ) I probably probably had LADA but I used insulin from diagnosis
(diagnosed 13 years ago at 53 with T1..." or we might call it 1.5" said the consultant)
I decided to exercise and started running, running a marathon 14 months after diagnosis . I went on walking holidays, walking 20-30 km a day.
Looking back it was at times really hard to avoid very low levels though I could always manage them myself. I ate an awful lot of dextrose tablets. I was prescribed a pump because of the low levels.It made it easier buI still had to reduce my basal to almost nothing on anything over an hour but then on very long walks sometimes ended up with highish ketones . I've no idea if I extended the honeymoon. I do think that the exercise made me extremely insulin sensitive.
I've not been as active for the last few years . (Other responsibilities intervened) However, control is actually easier now though my HbA1C is higher than it was( but not that high: 42 mmol/mol) .
Did I extend a honeymoon that is now finshed ? Was it because when I became less active, I became, less insulin sensitive?
I tend to think the latter because if I up my exercise for a few days, I have to reduce basal again.
(but at 66, I'm not about to start training for another marathon to prove it)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One person on one thread doesn't really add up to "frequent mocking". The one poster was just disagreeing with what you and Azure were saying. There wasn't any mocking at all at least not the way I read it.

Yawn, BB, there's many others.

I'm just starting my first proper 2 week holiday I've had this year, so I really can't be bothered with this thread anymore.

What's way more interesting at this point in time is that one of the barmaids who has finished her shift in the bar I'm currently in has sidled up to me to complain that I wasn't in earlier to see her doing her country and western song stuff a few hours ago, and then spun it out to tell me all about how she was married to the bloke behind the bar (who is currently giving me the evil eye) but he ran off with a model who is, according to her, flashing her t*ts in Italy.

There's obviously a bit of tension going on between the pair of them, so I'm going to hang around for a while to see how it pans out - DAFNE and Bernstein don't teach a T1 how to deal with this sort of stuff!

Reactions: kev-w and kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yawn, BB, there's many others.

I'm just starting my first proper 2 week holiday I've had this year, so I really can't be bothered with this thread anymore.

What's way more interesting at this point in time is that one of the barmaids who has finished her shift in the bar I'm currently in has sidled up to me to complain that I wasn't in earlier to see her doing her country and western song stuff a few hours ago, and then spun it out to tell me all about how she was married to the bloke behind the bar (who is currently giving me the evil eye) but he ran off with a model who is, according to her, flashing her t*ts in Italy.

There's obviously a bit of tension going on between the pair of them, so I'm going to hang around for a while to see how it pans out - DAFNE and Bernstein don't teach a T1 how to deal with this sort of stuff!
Finding out the truth is often a challenge!! Best of Luck!!