MiawMiaw vs NightRider (Libre)

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys, I currently use the Libre and am interested in either the MiawMiaw or the NightRider in order to be able to view the readings on my iPhone and Garmin watch without swiping.

Does anyone know which would be better from a compatibility point of view? Also, whether there is any difference in accuracy, usability etc.

I’m leaning towards the MiawMiaw, mainly as it has a lower profile and is waterproof.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @River83 , both MiaoMiao and Nightrider will transmit to Spike which is an iphone version of the android app xDrip+.

https://spike-app.com

I'm pretty sure I've seen posts saying Spike will then transmit to a Garmin watch but I'm an android guy so don't know for sure. xDrip+ certainly works ok with my Fossil watch.

As to accuracy, it's 6 and two 3s. Either transmitter will send the same stuff from the sensor to the app. The accuracy then comes from what the app does with it, and most importantly, how you calibrate it.

Calibration involves waiting till your levels are stable for a while - in the morning after you wake is normally a good time, assuming your levels haven't been scooting around too much - then doing a bg test, then typing that reading into the app so that it knows for sure that bg at that point is 5.6 or whatever. It can then make a lot more sense of what the reading from the sensor actually means.

It can really tighten up sketchy sensors. I'm running one at the moment where a libre reader scan is about 1 to 2 below blood, whereas xDrip+ is spot on, only about 0.3 or 0.5 out.

I have, though, had sensors which have been just plain weird and no amount of calibration brings them into line, but it's complex technology so I just accept that it's not going to be 100% all the time.

As to reliability, I've had my Nightrider for about 16 months now and it's been solid. I regularly get the full 288 readings per day from it.

I've not used MM so can't comment on it.

It's fair to say that there have been posts from users saying they have had nightrider connectivity issues, but we've seen people saying the same about MM too. When you look under the surface, it often turns out to be nothing to do with the transmitter at all, but something to do with the bluetooth implementation on their phone - samsungs seem to be notorious for that - or the user using it in alongside other bluetooth signals like headphones.

All in all it really just boils down to personal preference on which one you like the look of. The waterproof aspect of MM is certainly attractive, although Nightrider now has a waterproof version too.

Whichever one you go for, it's definitely worth it. Quite apart from the hypo/hyper alerts and the calibration, the graph and info you get from it is just so much more detailed than with libre alone, lets us be much more precise with dosing and food decisions.

Enjoy!

Reactions: River83

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought a nightrider, then lost it so bought a miaomiao. I then found the nightrider... (if anybody in/near the dales wants to borrow it, bother me)
The miaomiao is massively better than the nightrider. Lower profile, ie more comfortable, no battery issues, and it's much better at connecting to my phone (cheap android one) - I'd have to reset the nightrider every day.
And IMO either is massively better than nothing, assuming you get on with the libre - real time alarms is what does it for me.

Reactions: River83

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies, it’s great to hear such positive stories about both.. I’ve ordered the MiaoMiao and can’t wait for it to arrive. The Libre alone has been a game changer for me, hopefully the MiaoMiao will help me improve my control further.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have just started using the Miao Miao (1 week in). Why did I wait so long to get it. It is brilliant. I am hypo unaware and being able to set alarms for the lows and highs in Xdrip+ is invaluable. Big thumbs up to the MiaoMiao team and also Xdrip+ developers

Reactions: Stefans and SamJB

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been using the nightrider for 6 months with no issues, its cheap and reliable( for me anyway) Cant wait till libre roll out their new sensor with alarms etc in the new year

Replicant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre sensor + MiaoMiao + Ticwatch Pro + Xdrip = Perfect setup. I could not be happier. After calibration the Xdrip is more accurate than the Libre reader.