Need To Seriously Drop Down My Hba1c And Turn My Life Around.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been giving it some serious thought about having weight loss surgery and I need it. I had a Chinese takeaway 2 hours ago and now I still feel hungry. I try to make smart decisions on what to eat, but it is stressful as my fasting blood glucose in the morning are 14+ and it didn't help last week when my mum had the week off and started baking again.

She kept on saying "are you sure?" whenever I said no chips or potatoes and that is her go to phrase now for if I don't want something. She did a fry up the other night, which was only 2 bacon rashers, a sausage, a fried egg, lots of beans with hash browns and bread. I ended up having three hash brown and two rounds of bread.

The only person that I've told about having the surgery is my sister and my nan. They both support me and my nan even suggested to my parents that they should get tested for diabetes or at least come to one of my appointments (which they have never done).

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been giving it some serious thought about having weight loss surgery and I need it. I had a Chinese takeaway 2 hours ago and now I still feel hungry. I try to make smart decisions on what to eat, but it is stressful as my fasting blood glucose in the morning are 14+ and it didn't help last week when my mum had the week off and started baking again.

She kept on saying "are you sure?" whenever I said no chips or potatoes and that is her go to phrase now for if I don't want something. She did a fry up the other night, which was only 2 bacon rashers, a sausage, a fried egg, lots of beans with hash browns and bread. I ended up having three hash brown and two rounds of bread.

The only person that I've told about having the surgery is my sister and my nan. They both support me and my nan even suggested to my parents that they should get tested for diabetes or at least come to one of my appointments (which they have never done).

I still think you are mistaking surgery as a 'cure all', it won't stop you eating bread and fry-ups! Whatever you chose to do I wish you the best of luck

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know someone who had weightloss surgery years ago. It all went fantastically well until she had just one slip up and ate too much and was very ill, could even have died. @akindrat18 you appear to have 'slip ups' every couple of days at the moment, I am not convinced that you will be able to go through the rest of your life never ever having even one. I know I couldn't.

Re your Mum saying 'Are you sure you don't want fried bread etc?' Surely it's easy enough to say 'Yes I am sure, thanks for asking Mum' . She can't make you eat it, you do that to yourself. The fry up was perfect for you, you only had to cut out the bread and hash browns and have only a very small portion of beans.

Are you telling us the truth all of the time? I thought your Mum was prediabetic or T2 already? Didn't she join this forum once for a while? If your nan is truly supportive, can you go to live with her?

Reactions: pavlovsdog

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Shortcuts ... you don't choose the hard road, do you? Always the line of least resistance

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is - weight loss surgery is definitely NOT the easy way out. Unless you deal with the issues that are causing you to overeat now, all weight loss surgery will do is torture you for a while until you manage to find ways around it like so many have done before you. The key is getting the mindset right first, or you'll still be stuck on the same old treadmill, going nowhere :(

You definitely need to get some counselling and some life skills to deal with your issues.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is - weight loss surgery is definitely NOT the easy way out. Unless you deal with the issues that are causing you to overeat now, all weight loss surgery will do is torture you for a while until you manage to find ways around it like so many have done before you. The key is getting the mindset right first, or you'll still be stuck on the same old treadmill, going nowhere :(

You definitely need to get some counselling and some life skills to deal with your issues.

Precisely

Reactions: Indy51

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going try low carb again.

After meeting up with some old friends from university on Friday and seeing the shock in their eyes when they saw me last time and now. I was approaching 25 stone three years ago and now I'm 19 stone.

I told them I followed a lchf diet for a short time, but now fell back into my old eating habits. I told them that I had the option for weightloss surgery and they said to go for it, if you think its best for you.

I still haven't told my parents about it and I've been to three different counselling sessions this past week that I've had off work. All three were useless and the people I saw were really arrogant and showed me the eat well plate.

I really need to stop over eating though as lately I've been having abdominal pain on my lower left side and I normally have to lie on my side to let the trapped wind out, which my parents say is worse than my dogs farts. I also have trouble sleeping, as I wake up 5 or 6 times in the night to go toilet and have a glass of water before I go back bed.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You're intent on ignoring the advice of others, so just go and tread your own path

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The important thing is to find the level of carbs that suits you and then stay on that level. Getting your BGs stable is more important than weight loss. If that is moderate carbs that's fine as long as you take your insulin correctly. It will be easier to lose weight with low carb though and after around 5 days of sticking to it you should find that you are less hungry. I find that when I am having just one meal a day I am less hungry and the amount I eat is limited because I can't manage too much at one sitting. I get a pain just under my ribs on the left side if I eat too much or drink too much fizzy water.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The first day begins and I'm already facing a uphill battle. Woke up, tested first thing and my fasting blood sugar is 26.1. My stomach is already asking for breakfast, but I'm going to leave it a while and have a nice black coffee with double cream and take 40u Novorapid and 48u Tresiba.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The first day begins and I'm already facing a uphill battle. Woke up, tested first thing and my fasting blood sugar is 26.1. My stomach is already asking for breakfast, but I'm going to leave it a while and have a nice black coffee with double cream and take 40u Novorapid and 48u Tresiba.

at least it's a start, but remember lchf isn't about starving yourself, its about making the right choices. Don't go to work hungry where you'll be tempted to eat unhealthy things. You've done it before, so stick with it. When you see your bgs coming down you'll see its worth it

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes my stomach thinks it's hungry too. It will have to wait until 5 pm though ;).
Do keep an eye on your BGs to make sure you don't hypo later. Good luck.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had an espresso instead of the coffee and cream, as the cream smelled off. Ate a piece of cheese to take the edge off hunger and feel good for now. Also took 1.8mg of Victoza that I forgot to mention before.

Going have some homemade egg mayo with olive oil before I start work. Luckily, I'm only in for 4 hours and the management has banned every staff member from drinking full sugar Pepsi as £250 is being lost from missing Pepsi, so everyone has to drink the diet stuff or bring their own in.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going try low carb again.

After meeting up with some old friends from university on Friday and seeing the shock in their eyes when they saw me last time and now. I was approaching 25 stone three years ago and now I'm 19 stone.

I told them I followed a lchf diet for a short time, but now fell back into my old eating habits. I told them that I had the option for weightloss surgery and they said to go for it, if you think its best for you.

I still haven't told my parents about it and I've been to three different counselling sessions this past week that I've had off work. All three were useless and the people I saw were really arrogant and showed me the eat well plate.

I really need to stop over eating though as lately I've been having abdominal pain on my lower left side and I normally have to lie on my side to let the trapped wind out, which my parents say is worse than my dogs farts. I also have trouble sleeping, as I wake up 5 or 6 times in the night to go toilet and have a glass of water before I go back bed.

I'm assuming the shock in their eyes was approval, @akindrat18 ?

I have a very, very scary list of potential side effects of weight loss surgery, against each type of weight loss, then categorised into whether those (potential) side effects kick in in the short, medium or longer term.

I know as a skinny old bird, it's very easy for me to take an anti stance on weight loss surgery, but that majority of my misgivings are based on someone I observed have gastric band surgery , lose a massive amount of weight, then set about finding ways to consume the curries, chocolate, cakes and so on that she had been eating before her surgery. Needless to say the weight just piled back on. At this time, this woman was a senior matron in an NHS hospital.

Our lives has subsequently moved in different directions and I must admit, when weight loss discussions come up, I often think of her.

Well done on revisiting LC.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm assuming the shock in their eyes was approval, @akindrat18 ?

I have a very, very scary list of potential side effects of weight loss surgery, against each type of weight loss, then categorised into whether those (potential) side effects kick in in the short, medium or longer term.

I know as a skinny old bird, it's very easy for me to take an anti stance on weight loss surgery, but that majority of my misgivings are based on someone I observed have gastric band surgery , lose a massive amount of weight, then set about finding ways to consume the curries, chocolate, cakes and so on that she had been eating before her surgery. Needless to say the weight just piled back on. At this time, this woman was a senior matron in an NHS hospital.

Our lives has subsequently moved in different directions and I must admit, when weight loss discussions come up, I often think of her.

Well done on revisiting LC.

This is my point exactly. If anyone wants bariatric surgery that's fine, but if you have issues around food, no surgery in the world will solve that. I think from what @akindrat18 has said, he has issues with overeating and only a psychological approach will help.

Reactions: neithskye

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to repost this from another thread

Attachments

• Obesity and Mental Health (2).pdf
    295.4 KB · Views: 517

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'd say be careful? You are on insulin so you have to factor that in to what you are eating or not eating. If you take 40 units of novarapid and have NO food (when you usually do have food), isn't that a massive risk?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugar two hours after only went down to 21.6 and I've had some scrambled eggs before I start work. Now they are at 22.3.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's dropping slowly, but I'm still really high. Last reading was 20.7 at 8:30pm after having a fry up of 2 sausages, 2 bacon, an egg and a handful of beans. Said no to the chips and bread twice, but still had to prep the potatoes and butter the bread.

I feel like absolute **** and I can't stand being in the same room as them when they're snacking away. I can't even have a glass of red wine to enjoy, without my mum drinking it all.