Freestyle - the wrong test strips?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I recently bought a box of Freestyle Lite test strips from ebay, but was sent, not the usual yellow-and-blue box labelled Freestyle Lite, but a yellow box simply labelled Freestyle.

On this yellow box it says "Freestyle Systems - Freedom, Mini and Navigator". No mention of Lite.

The strips look to be identical to the ones I'm using, according to the picture, but I don't want to open them in case they don't work and I can't send them back.

I've taken this up with the seller, and with Abbott, but of course it's Bank Holiday so no answers yet!

Any ideas?

Viv 8)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Check exactly what the sellers description is, Viv. If they have specifically mentioned 'Lite' then they are in the wrong. However, if they have not mentioned 'Lite' then you have picked it up wrong.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
The description was 'Freestyle' but the photo was the blue-and-yellow 'Freestyle Lite' box, so I think I have a case. Also the seller accepts returns, but I don't want to return them if they'll work. As I said - the illustration of the strip on the outside of the box is identical to the one on the 'Freestyle Lite' box.

I was told at the surgery, when I sked for a repeat prescription last week, "we are having difficulty getting those". Thin end of the wedge, I wonder?

Viv 8)

faircot

viviennem

Here's a link to Abbot's diabetes site showing the strips I use in my Freestyle Lite.

http://www.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/you ... ing-strips

It looks as though the strips are interchangeable but there is a newer version (blue box, butterfly on the strip) that reads the sample quicker.

Otherwise ring Abbot's helpline on 0500 467466; they're very helpful and, unlike Bayer, do answer their phones quickly and professionally!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
viviennem said:
I was told at the surgery, when I sked for a repeat prescription last week, "we are having difficulty getting those". Thin end of the wedge, I wonder?

Viv 8)

Hi Viv,
I went to our local Boots store on Saturday to get some Freestyle Lite strips and they hadn't any in stock and they said they hadn't received any in the last delivery from the manufacturer.
Regards
Angie

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Faircot

Yes, those are exactly the strips I use, they come in a blue-and-yellow box. The ones illustrated on this yellow box look identical. I've emailed Abbott - if they don't get back to me tomorrow I'll phone them - thanks for the number!

Maybe I won't shout at the surgery just yet, then :twisted: - thanks Angie!

Viv 8)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
angieG said:
viviennem said:

Viv 8)

Hi Viv,
I went to our local Boots store on Saturday to get some Freestyle Lite strips and they hadn't any in stock and they said they hadn't received any in the last delivery from the manufacturer.
Regards
Angie

Seems to be a trend happening at the moment I think.
My prescription strips are Optium plus also from Abbott, went to collect my repeat prescription today and they said they haven't got stock of the strips at the moment as they haven't had a delivery from the manufacturer. I asked if they would be in by Friday (when I'm passing by again) and she said it may be best to ring first to check!!
Sure glad I bought myself a box on Saturday because I was running low (was only aiming to stock up my spare meter hence the Freestyle lites request but got some Optiums instead)!!
May be worth getting repeat prescriptions / making purchases in good time if they are getting a bit scarce!!
Regards
Angie

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Just to put a closure on this - Abbott Customer Care got back to me. Despite looking alike, the strips are not interchangeable - test strips for Freestyle Lite must say Freestyle Lite on the box.

They also registered my meter, so I am now covered for life for batteries, lancets etc, and a replacement meter if I need one.

I can also buy my test strips direct from them for under £15 if I need to.

Hanadr mentioned a while ago that they gave a good service - I can only agree!

Viv 8)