blood meters - PC downloadable

Prius4

I am a 72 old retired engineer and have become an type 1 diabetic due to having my pancreas removed in Jan

My question is can anybody recommend a blood monitoring meter which downloads to my iPhone or Pc which would save me hand recording all the values, being able to print the results to show to my doctor

I am using OneTouch Select Plus meter at present

Also if I purchase an alternative would I be able get the strips and sampling needle via a prescription ?

D

Deleted Account

Are you based in the UK?
If so, many diabetes teams use Diasend. This is an online app to which you can download your results from your meter and review trends, etc.
Your diabetes team can also log in and see your results ... so there is no need to print anything out.

I would discuss this with your team before purchasing a new meter.
If they do not offer this service, they may be able to provide an alternative meter from which you can download. If the meter comes from them, there is a much higher chance the strips will be provided on prescription.
The lancets (sampling needle) seem to be generic - I have used many different meters over the years and all the meters care about it that they have some blood; not how you get it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi and welcome to the forum @Prius4 :)

I have used Diasend in the past which is easy to email to your DSN and track your results on, the downside is it's not directly linked and relies on user input. If you want a meter to talk to your phone then there are a few meters out there which will blue tooth results direct in like the Contour Next One meter or Dario, see this guide for more info: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood_glucose_monitor_guide.html

The best system is a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system like Libre or the Dexcom G6, both systems can be operated on an iphone 6 and up. There are major advantages to using CGM vs a meter such as being able to see patterns, avoid hypos and it's easier to monitor your basal insulin during fasting sessions, as well as seeing the speed at which your blood glucose levels are changing which is very useful for exercise, all in all it provides more reassurance then usual spot tests on a blood glucose meter.

You would need to check with your DSN about which meters the NHS would fund strips for, however the CGM systems are purely self funded, unless your CGM is ok to prescribe you the libre which they do but you would need to check their criteria for funding first.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about your operation. I hope things are going well for you now.

The meter with the cheapest strips, the SD codefree, has a optional cable for connection to PC software.

As you are getting your strips covered by prescription, then someting like the Contour Next One, would probably fit the bill. It has a companion iPhone app to transfer your readings over. I guess it may depend on your GP and pharmacy as to whats possible in your area.

I have only used the SD , not the contour.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2#Me

Prius4

Thanks for the quick reply......following one of the links supplied I have ordered a Contour next One USB ....as this comes with a software package which should allow me to print results to show to medical stafff

Best regards

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Excellent choice, I use one myself. But do not be surprised if you are denied strips via prescription for it. Cost to NHS is about 15 quid per 50, depending on your healthcare trust you may struggle to get them to pay more than a tenner.