Combo help with entering carbs

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just wondering if you can do something with a spirit combo and if so, how is it done.

I took my blood sugar a half hour ago. It was 6.4. I wanted to see where I was at before I decided what I wanted to eat. I went into the kitchen and decided on a sandwich.

I have fresh baked bread so I had to weigh it and work out the carbs. It came to 35g.

So, with my old pump I would enter my blood sugar level of 6.4 and then the carbs of 35g and it would work out my insulin.

On the remote control on the spirit you have to test your blood sugar to get the reading up and then enter your carbs. However, what if I don't know my carbs at that exact moment because I am waiting on my results to decided what to eat?

Can I go back to the remote once I know what I want to eat and enter the carbs on the last blood sugar result so it will work out what insulin to have? or, do I have to test again?

Thanks 8)

iHs

Hi

This is a really good thing to bring up.

I was finding it a PITA doing the blood test and then not knowing exactly how much carb I was going to eat, so get round it I do a test and then tell the pump that I am going to eat 10g carb. I then let it do the bolus calculation which works out an allowance if I am lower or higher than 6mmol, deliver the bolus and then sit down and eat my meal. After I've eaten I then bring up Bolus Advice on the remote and as long as I am still in the same Time Block, I then tell the pump that I'm going to eat some more carb but don't do the blood test. If I've eaten 30g carb I just tell the pump that I've eaten 20g and then bolus. This saves on doing 2 blood tests. I just have to remember to do the bolus and not forget. :? 8)

Maybe someone else has another solution to the problem.................

Hazza

I can understand that doing a blood test before deciding what to eat is a PITA but have not yet had to deal with this as we usually decide what to eat before doing a blood test. Then we know how many carbs to bolus for. Obviously the meter will then take into account what correction if any to give.
We have just got into the habbit of doing it this way, but I suppose others will have a different approach. This works for us, and we were advised by the nurse to do it this way, so that is how we have always done it. It seems quite logical really.
Maybe there is a way to bring up the reading again but I'm sorry I can't help.

Harry

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
iHs said:
Hi

This is a really good thing to bring up.

I was finding it a PITA doing the blood test and then not knowing exactly how much carb I was going to eat, so get round it I do a test and then tell the pump that I am going to eat 10g carb. I then let it do the bolus calculation which works out an allowance if I am lower or higher than 6mmol, deliver the bolus and then sit down and eat my meal. After I've eaten I then bring up Bolus Advice on the remote and as long as I am still in the same Time Block, I then tell the pump that I'm going to eat some more carb but don't do the blood test. If I've eaten 30g carb I just tell the pump that I've eaten 20g and then bolus. This saves on doing 2 blood tests. I just have to remember to do the bolus and not forget. :? 8)

Maybe someone else has another solution to the problem.................

Blimey, I thought there would be a way. That's quite complex but good thinking. I shall bring this up at the meeting I have with the pump lady because I think it's rubbish they haven't thought of it!!! :evil:

It would be much easier if you could enter a manual BG like on other pumps.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hazza said:
I can understand that doing a blood test before deciding what to eat is a PITA but have not yet had to deal with this as we usually decide what to eat before doing a blood test. Then we know how many carbs to bolus for. Obviously the meter will then take into account what correction if any to give.
We have just got into the habbit of doing it this way, but I suppose others will have a different approach. This works for us, and we were advised by the nurse to do it this way, so that is how we have always done it. It seems quite logical really.
Maybe there is a way to bring up the reading again but I'm sorry I can't help.

Harry

Hi

I am used to a pump where by I'd test on a normal meter. Then, I'd go see what I wanted to eat and enter the BG into the pump along with the carbs.

I like to see where I am at number wise before I decide what to eat. I don't plan ahead so with this combo I have to test and work out the carbs quick and stick them in if I want to use their bolus calculator.

They should have manual entry, just cuz they don;t want us to use another make of meter! Stupid!

It's a big flaw IMHO.

jopar

Not sure how it's considera flaw...

As well if you enter BG onto a pump it assumes that bg has just been taken and not 1/2 hour or so before!

But it's pretty easier to get around if you need to..

When you take your bg, see if it needs a correction if you need to add insulin, the do the correction then and when you decided what to eat use the bolus wizard without a bg..

If it looks like you going to need to deduct insulin from the dose, then bung in a carb amount to see how much it's going to reduce by, remember or write down this amount then councel the bolus..

Now when you eat enter the carbs you are eating, you can then adjust it by manually taking away the amount you need to!

No flaw in doing that

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't know whether anybody has tried this...I accidentally did tonight...... I did my blood test, entered my carbs and got my bolus.....(2.3 units)-and then realised I needed to do a set change!!!!! before I ate. Had to write down the bolus amount just incase I lost everything, and as I was under my target of 6-the bolus had been amended by the machine....

So, I cancelled. Did the set change and primed. Went in to bolus advice-and all my details were still logged-blood test, carbs and bolus -ready to give..........

First time I have done this, normally I will end up doing another blood test and retyping everything in, but glad that it kept the info there, and I hadn't realised!!! I don't know how long it would store these details for, as you sound as if you had more of a time lapse than I did before eating....

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
donnellysdogs said:
Don't know whether anybody has tried this...I accidentally did tonight...... I did my blood test, entered my carbs and got my bolus.....(2.3 units)-and then realised I needed to do a set change!!!!! before I ate. Had to write down the bolus amount just incase I lost everything, and as I was under my target of 6-the bolus had been amended by the machine....

So, I cancelled. Did the set change and primed. Went in to bolus advice-and all my details were still logged-blood test, carbs and bolus -ready to give..........

First time I have done this, normally I will end up doing another blood test and retyping everything in, but glad that it kept the info there, and I hadn't realised!!! I don't know how long it would store these details for, as you sound as if you had more of a time lapse than I did before eating....

Yes, mine did it for me earlier today. I don't think you can wait too long though as I tried again and it didn't/

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
The combo DOES keep your BG reading for a little while, i'm not sure how long for though.

I've noticed on occasion i have tested as you mention to see where i am, if i'm on the high side i'm more inclined to eat less carbs in a meal.

On occasion i have tested, then 10 mins later gone to do 'bolus advice' as my BG has been in target, and my previous BG reading is there if that makes sense?

But i'm not sure how long it accounts it for as it's only done it a few times.