PreDiabetic and fading away

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
have been wondering about one of those fitbits....

Raygower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors
@SlimLizzy , Sorry if I was teaching Granny to suck eggs, but some as never learn :inpain:

The important thing is that at our level, Diabetes is not going to kill you, or even make you feel a little poorly. It has some nasty friends that might, but they are not going to visit anytime soon just because you've waved two fingers at it. In fact, it is the most innocuous of unwelcome lodgers, you barely know it's there, like mice.
In fairness, IBS isn't going to kill you either, but it can make you wish it would. So keep it sweet. ;)

Always found yoghurts a bit 'flash in the pan', certainly not enough to hide anything like nuts. I can just about manage the bit of walnut on a slice of coffee cake. But that is a mechanical problem, not diet as such.
I always found that a glass of scrumpy (not cider!) helped ease problems with fatty food. So perhaps a glass of a well aired tart red wine? Besides a glass of red is good for the heart, or so they say!

Despite what the priests of LCHF say, there are other ways of dealing with the glucose problem and possibly put on a little weight.
Lentils are supposed to be very good, low carb, low fat, high protein. All you have to do is find a means of making them palatable. Still working on that, but as a 50/50 split with mashed potato, or celeriac, they're fine. Actually celeriac is quite good on its own!
Some of the vegetarian soy meat imitations are worth a look. Avoid the ones with nuts and close your eyes to convince yourself its chicken.
Also, don't sniff at the humble Oxo or Bovril cube dissolved in boiling water!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@SlimLizzy , Sorry if I was teaching Granny to suck eggs, but some as never learn :inpain:

The important thing is that at our level, Diabetes is not going to kill you, or even make you feel a little poorly. It has some nasty friends that might, but they are not going to visit anytime soon just because you've waved two fingers at it. In fact, it is the most innocuous of unwelcome lodgers, you barely know it's there, like mice.
In fairness, IBS isn't going to kill you either, but it can make you wish it would. So keep it sweet. ;)

Always found yoghurts a bit 'flash in the pan', certainly not enough to hide anything like nuts. I can just about manage the bit of walnut on a slice of coffee cake. But that is a mechanical problem, not diet as such.
I always found that a glass of scrumpy (not cider!) helped ease problems with fatty food. So perhaps a glass of a well aired tart red wine? Besides a glass of red is good for the heart, or so they say!

Despite what the priests of LCHF say, there are other ways of dealing with the glucose problem and possibly put on a little weight.
Lentils are supposed to be very good, low carb, low fat, high protein. All you have to do is find a means of making them palatable. Still working on that, but as a 50/50 split with mashed potato, or celeriac, they're fine. Actually celeriac is quite good on its own!
Some of the vegetarian soy meat imitations are worth a look. Avoid the ones with nuts and close your eyes to convince yourself its chicken.

Thats a useful reminder Ray, lentils go very well in veg soup. If you can tolerate root veg they can be concealed entirely with some onions, celery, swede and carrots. Can add add a bit of curry powder, chilli, or herbs for extra flavour. A winter standby that has been temporarily forgotten. Now going to dig in the freezer for soup base - it as to be tastier than yesterdays canned gunk. :yuck: Looking forward to lunch today.
Also going to try adding soya mince/cubes to casseroles. Not sure about the bovril/oxo idea as those tend to be high salt, but thank you for reply and the useful ideas.

edited to add: Soupbase turned out to be chicken stock, also found gazpacho, so will be experimenting with combining those at lunchtime.

Last edited:

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough, I suffered from IBS pre low carb, and for me it completely disappeared when I went full on low carb, I think it might be linked to the total elimination of grains.

I read quite a lot about Crohn’s disease, my sister has it very severely, and some people do seem to be having a huge success with LCHF in managing it, I think you may have been introducing the ‘wrong’ High Fat, I would have thought nuts and peanut butter would make IBS worse, I know my sister can not tolerate nuts at all.

It may be worth, for a trial period, following proper ‘traditional’ high fat low carb - go back to fatty meats, have plenty of olive oil, coconut oil, butter, lard. It is the artificial oils that are inflammatory, the seed oils and the margarines. And have the above ground vegetables. I think you’d have to try it for more than a week, I’m pretty sure it would get worse before it gets better. You can still have full fat Greek yoghurt.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/benefits/ibs

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Funnily enough, I suffered from IBS pre low carb, and for me it completely disappeared when I went full on low carb, I think it might be linked to the total elimination of grains.

I read quite a lot about Crohn’s disease, my sister has it very severely, and some people do seem to be having a huge success with LCHF in managing it, I think you may have been introducing the ‘wrong’ High Fat, I would have thought nuts and peanut butter would make IBS worse, I know my sister can not tolerate nuts at all.

It may be worth, for a trial period, following proper ‘traditional’ high fat low carb - go back to fatty meats, have plenty of olive oil, coconut oil, butter, lard. It is the artificial oils that are inflammatory, the seed oils and the margarines. And have the above ground vegetables. I think you’d have to try it for more than a week, I’m pretty sure it would get worse before it gets better. You can still have full fat Greek yoghurt.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/benefits/ibs
Thank you for taking the time to reply. As you know we are all different, have been eating carbs with no IBS for decades, definitely fat that triggers it for me. So your suggestion of high fat diet is probably not suitable. However, as you also said, nuts can be irritant and have found cashew nuts to be a trigger food. Strangely though both almonds and brazils are tolerated in moderate amounts (about 6 brazils and up to 12 almonds, but not every day) peanut butter also spread very thinly on toast. Going over to full fat greek yoghurt though, good idea.:) Still searching for suitable high calorie, low carb foods to increase calorie intake. Weight now 8st 3 lb, 51kg. Getting too thin.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why does your GP day you are type 1.5? What do they mean by that? Have you had antibody testing to confirm you are not late onset type 1?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I’m confused... a lot of advice but actually what are your blood levels running at before and after meals or fasting?

Need to know about these really...

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

hi Ray and thanks for the tip about lentils, red lentils are easily concealed in vegetable soup. Have been doing this for years. and can add lentils to anything made with mince, esp if you also include diced carrots. Soya "meat" hmm...will be trying this.

Raygower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors
hi Ray and thanks for the tip about lentils, red lentils are easily concealed in vegetable soup. Have been doing this for years. and can add lentils to anything made with mince, esp if you also include diced carrots. Soya "meat" hmm...will be trying this.
@SlimLizzy I'll try adding the lentils to my soups, ta!

Soya mince has come a long way since the TVP of the 70's. Back then it was like eating the foam from a worn out seat cushion, but without the flavour. Now, as mince especially, it can pass as meat and is used quite extensively in supermarket pies, especially since the horsemeat forago. (Why anybody should have been surprised their cheap pie was called Dobbin and not Daisy beats me?). A strong gravy helps though.