SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Good afternoon, just.
Daughter will be home after 1 pm, so I will give her her other presents then. She now has a helium balloon waiting in the kitchen, that cake lol, and I have attached 18th birthday balloons to the front door. Her best friend is coming round about 4.30pm, then off out for a meal ( 3 of us) and drinky poo's with other family member's and friends a little later.
View attachment 29014
Going to guess your BG around 9. Is this the start of a sweepstake? Have a great time

Dread to think what my BS will be like by the end of the day................ answer's on a postcard please lol :wacky:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried cooking your eggs in a different way?
When I want eggs to "snack on", I tend to bake some egg muffins which can be eaten straight out of the oven, cold or warmed in the microwave.
They are simple to make and some ovens have the ability to switch them off after a set time. You may even be able to make them in a microwave but I have never tried.
The recipe is
- heat over to moderate temperature (for me that's around Gas Mark 4/5)
- chop any random veg/cheese/ham/herbs into small cubes.
- break eggs into a jug and beat
- add random stuff into jug with eggs
- pour into muffin cases
- bake for 20 to 30 minutes

They end up like muffin shaped mini fritata.

I usually get distracted by the chilli sauce in my fridge. I have a selection to choose from but usually go for Piri Piri or chipotle and add this to the beaten egg mixture.

That sounds worth trying. For some reason I don't like eggs much, but I can eat them hard boiled, but that might work.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Second point raised was 'absent dorsalis pedis pulse' in both feet. Since my diagnosis every clinician has struggled to get this pulse which leads me to believe that maybe this is not a major concern as they usually pick it up with a doppler which they didn't do today. I've been referred to the podiatrist so we'll see what they say. Never had a problem with my feet, no ulcers, blisters, discoloration, no pain etc..etc..so hoping that in some way my feet are just weird but normal!?

Good to have you come and join us here @n1ck

Without wanting to sound too personal, how hairy are your legs? apparently loss of hair on your calves, can be a sign of PAD, though obviously there are other things that can cause that.

I found that out recently, and am far more appreciative of the hairs on my legs than I ever have been before. Weird that.

A tendency to wear very tight skinny jeans may also have an effect, but it just seems to me like a fairly easy way of making your own judgement about whether or not you should worry.

Reactions: hh1

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Morning does anybody have any tips for dealing with high blood glucose levels overnight? I've included some photos of my BG reader I'm maintaining an average BG level of 5.7 but this average is much higher between the hours of midnight and 0600. Logically I feel that this is the optimum time to keep BG levels as low as possible as I'm not required to drive or deal with other aspects of life during these hours. If I could keep my BG level below 5 overnight then my average BG levels and therefore my HBA1C would be greatly improved. I've been Type 1 since February 2018 and would appreciate any help from more experienced campaigners.

For me that overnight wouldn’t be too low as an average. For me it would be safe. So I cannot help there.

Good Morning does anybody have any tips for dealing with high blood glucose levels overnight? I've included some photos of my BG reader I'm maintaining an average BG level of 5.7 but this average is much higher between the hours of midnight and 0600. Logically I feel that this is the optimum time to keep BG levels as low as possible as I'm not required to drive or deal with other aspects of life during these hours. If I could keep my BG level below 5 overnight then my average BG levels and therefore my HBA1C would be greatly improved. I've been Type 1 since February 2018 and would appreciate any help from more experienced campaigners.

For me that overnight wouldn’t be too low as an average. For me it would be safe. So I cannot help there.

Last edited by a moderator:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Forum playing up again. 2 posts the same that went round and round forever!
@Robinredbreast that cake looks gorgeous. Enjoy this lovely occasion!

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always set all my timers alarms etc on phone. As that is also connected to my Fitbit which then vibrates. -smug!!

I think I might feel I was deskilling myself a bit too much if I became that reliant on a vibrating Fitbit.

n1ck

Good to have you come and join us here @n1ck

Without wanting to sound too personal, how hairy are your legs? apparently loss of hair on your calves, can be a sign of PAD, though obviously there are other things that can cause that.

I found that out recently, and am far more appreciative of the hairs on my legs than I ever have been before. Weird that.

A tendency to wear very tight skinny jeans may also have an effect, but it just seems to me like a fairly easy way of making your own judgement about whether or not you should worry.
Hi Alison, no loss of hair on calves and i'd probably say i'm the average hairy leg guy...enough to show i've got hairs but not gorilla style! Don't wear skinny jeans purely because of the shape of my legs due to years of biking. I'm not concerned as it's been an issue from day one and no-one seemed concerned in the early days...i merely posted the comment to see if i wasn't the only one and maybe how common it was.

Reactions: Alison54321

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just caught up with news on here, congrats to @kev-w and @Juicyj and good to hear from @Robinredbreast, I want to join the fight for some of that cake.
Had a weird experience yesterday; went to my local Tesco and for the third time running set off the alarm on the way out (and on the way in this time!). Previous twice no apparent reason; this time the person who spoke to me asked whether I'd bought clothing, any meat (apparently they have alarm stickers on their meat now?!). No to both; any metal plates etc implanted (sounding like airport security now) then I said that I do have a sensor - oh, she said, that's it! So now Libres apparently set off the updated alarms in Tesco - anyone else experienced this?

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just caught up with news on here, congrats to @kev-w and @Juicyj and good to hear from @Robinredbreast, I want to join the fight for some of that cake.
Had a weird experience yesterday; went to my local Tesco and for the third time running set off the alarm on the way out (and on the way in this time!). Previous twice no apparent reason; this time the person who spoke to me asked whether I'd bought clothing, any meat (apparently they have alarm stickers on their meat now?!). No to both; any metal plates etc implanted (sounding like airport security now) then I said that I do have a sensor - oh, she said, that's it! So now Libres apparently set off the updated alarms in Tesco - anyone else experienced this?

That should break the system.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@hh1 not experienced it, but I am sure I recall a librarian posting that their work system did something odd when confronted with libre.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Welcome to the forum. With BG like that I and many type 1,would be absolutley delighted. In an ideal world type 1, should be aiming for BG of anything between 4--7 and you are easily doing that.

Dont stress about those figures, as I said they are excellent. If you really want to bring down your overnight, a tiny tweek to your basal may do the trick. It will be trial and error, make sure you do it over a few days to get the full picture. If you do happen to wake up during the night, if you can, do a quick scan just to ensure you are not dropping too low

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My husband sets off the alarms at our local Tesco. He doesn’t wear a Libre, it’s a card in his wallet. I wear the Libre and don’t set the alarms off.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 . I now have an image of someone leaving my local Tesco with a flat screen tv under one arm, 4 joints of silverside in their pockets and wearing not one but three F&F coats.
The alarms go crazy but a nod and a wink to the security guard with a shout of “ diabetic on the libre “ the shopper goes on their merry way.:)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@hh1 . I now have an image of someone leaving my local Tesco with a flat screen tv under one arm, 4 joints of silverside in their pockets and wearing not one but three F&F coats.
The alarms go crazy but a nod and a wink to the security guard with a shout of “ diabetic on the libre “ the shopper goes on their merry way.:)

Lol, fewer bg tests, fewer hypos, better a1c, and endless shoplifting possibilities - libre, the gift which keeps on giving!

Reactions: porl69

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all, if I try the shoplifting I'll let you know if it works! ;)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks all, if I try the shoplifting I'll let you know if it works! ;)

You could be on to something here, hh. All those reluctant ccgs who aren't funding, just do a deal - put me on script, I'll nick a few toasters for you.

Or take it all the way - I'll get your DSNs one of those really expensive espresso machines from John Lewis and you put me on Omnipod...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You could be on to something here, hh. All those reluctant ccgs who aren't funding, just do a deal - put me on script, I'll nick a few toasters for you.

Or take it all the way - I'll get your DSNs one of those really expensive espresso machines from John Lewis and you put me on Omnipod...
Or just shoplift Libres from supermarket pharmacies?

Reactions: hh1 and porl69