Pine Nuts

badboy

Hi

Has anyone else noticed that you get a metallic taste in your mouth after eating pine nuts. I am not on any Diabetes drugs so I cant blame them.

G

type 2
Low carb if I can

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have pine nuts every day in my breakfast nut and seed muesli (home made with joghurt) and never get a metallic taste in my mouth. Could it come from anything else you eat regularly with a delayed reaction?

jaykay

Sorry, I have a terrible memory for this kind of thing but I know I read somewhere that this happens-in particular with a certain type of pine nuts, the long thin ones I think. If you google pine nuts and metallic taste you may get a hit.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry - I couldn't let a thread about pine nuts go without a post! 8) I love 'em!

A metallic taste in the mouth while eating a certain food is usually an indication that you may be seriously deficient in something contained in that food.

Might be time to get checked out?

A quick google search for "metallic taste pine nuts" gave lots of interesting reads...

Check out the Pine nut Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nut said:
Risks of eating pine nuts
A small minority of pine nuts cultivated in China can cause taste disturbances, lasting between few days to maximal a week after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001[11]. Some publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine mouth"[12]. The Nestle Research Centre has hypothesized that a particular species of Chinese pine nuts, Pinus armandii, is the cause of the problem. The suspect species of pine nuts are smaller, duller, and more rounded than typical pine nuts[13]. This finding has recently been confirmed[14]. In 1998 the FAO published a list of edible tree nuts, containing 29 species of pine nuts that are regullarly consumed somewhere in the world[15] and the aforementioned Chinese pine species were not included. Metallic taste disturbance, known as metallogeusia, is typically reported 1–3 days after ingestion, being worse on day 2 and lasting typically up to 2 weeks. Cases are self-limited and resolve without treatment[16] Möller[17] has postulated an hypothesis that could explain why the bitter taste appears several days after ingestion and lasts for as long. A well known physiological process known as enterohepatic recirculation (EHR) could play a key role in the development of PNS.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

Which ran an article on this very subject a few months ago. Apparently, there was a very bad harvest of pine nuts in China last year and so they mixed a non-edible variety of pine nuts in with the edible ones and they found their way onto our supermarket shelves. They are not edible becuase of the nasty taste, although they are not dangerous to eat. Apparently the nasty metallic taste can remain with you long after you've eaten the pine nuts, but it does wear off eventually. I seem to recall the Which article saying that the major supermarkets had withdrawn the affected batches of pine nuts - but I might have mis-remembered that.

Smidge