Carb content of Almonds

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I’ve noticed that my best days are when I haven’t eaten nuts. I snack on Waitrose Almonds and pecans. Both packs are very low state 4.7 g carbs per 100g for almonds and I think3.8g for the pecans (that is the weight of the pack too). Just checked online and googled carbs of almonds and depending on how they are prepared it’s between 18-22g carbs for 100? I have a nagging doubt about the accuracy of the packaging. Anyone got any almonds to compare please? I thought 4.7 was too good to be true....
Have a packet of raw, shelled almonds with the inner brown skin still on. Packet states 13.3 g per 100g. Recommended portion size 30g is listed as 4g. Hope this is useful

Reactions: Flora123

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a packet of raw, shelled almonds with the inner brown skin still on. Packet states 13.3 g per 100g. Recommended portion size 30g is listed as 4g. Hope this is useful
Comparable Aldi almonds claim only 9.1g carbs per 100g. There seems to be no consensus on the carb content of nuts.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Comparable Aldi almonds claim only 9.1g carbs per 100g. There seems to be no consensus on the carb content of nuts.
Natural Days ground almonds claim only 7g carbs per 100g. Good news - but is it true??? Since the fibrous skins must be removed before processing, I would have thought they'd be higher carb than whole almonds in their skins.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve noticed that my best days are when I haven’t eaten nuts.
Like you, I used to eat the lower carb nuts (brazils, walnuts, almonds) fairly freely, but it was a mistake. Heaven knows what the truth about the carb content of nuts really is, but I have now accepted that I have to keep down to a maximum of 10g per nut type. The uncertainty has almost put me off eating nuts altogether, but I still feel I should eat a few for health, particularly a few brazils for the selenium content.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
perhaps the slight differences are from growing conditions or variety? Surely all almonds are not exactly the same?
]

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My Lidl does the Belbake brand of Hazenuts (5.0 g per 100 g carbs, 10.2 g Fibre), Almonds (5.4 g per 100 g, 11.2 g Fibre).

I have finished my omad meal and just stuffed around 300 g combined Almonds and Hazelnuts in the knowledge that I am now going to do a 5 mile walk with at least 100 push ups to cover this.

Nuts are a vice of mine, so 300 grams is good for me, as previously ahh hum, I would be doing over 500 grams...a day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Lidl does the Belbake brand of Hazenuts (5.0 g per 100 g carbs, 10.2 g Fibre), Almonds (5.4 g per 100 g, 11.2 g Fibre).

I have finished my omad meal and just stuffed around 300 g combined Almonds and Hazelnuts in the knowledge that I am now going to do a 5 mile walk with at least 100 push ups to cover this.

Nuts are a vice of mine, so 300 grams is good for me, as previously ahh hum, I would be doing over 500 grams...a day.
And I thought I was bad with a 100g bag of salted macadamias with a movie!

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
is anyone paying attention to protein in nuts? If eating low-carb protein needs to be accounted for.
Almonds have a significant amount of protein (about the same as a steak), other nuts may be higher in fat. Something to consider.

(per 100g)------ netCarb - fat - protein
almonds......... 10.7 - 50.0 - 21.4
pecans........... 4.0 - 72.0 - 9.0
macadamia.... 5.0 - 76.0 - 8.0
walnuts.......... 6.7 - 66.7 - 16.7

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whilst we're on the subject....I notice there are a lot of fans of almond milk on here. I've just realised that some brands have added maltodextrin, which apparently is a no-no for blood sugar spikes. For a small home-made cappuccino we use 100ml which is around 1.5g of carbs. My husband hasn't tested with this in isolation, so unsure if it has much impact. Anyone tried one brand with (Blue Diamond Barista Blend) vs one without (Alpro)?
I use Asda long life unsweetened Almond drink its less than .5g of carbs per 200ml
Its thickened and gives a smooth indulgent mouth feel in my coffee like double cream.
I love flavoured coffee, and I find it is so decadent.
Whatever the true carb value must be negligible because not only does it not spike me, I am also not thrown out of Ketosis either.

Last edited:

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I have had to bottom line buying/ eating nuts...I lose control. Once I give in to an episode of eating nuts...I will subsequently crave and crave and crave nuts until I give in and 'inhale' the contents of a 200g bag. Then the misery of self recrimination follows until I repeat the cycle again. Nah. I am staying well away from that kind of misery